Campfire Outfitter
P
150 ELDX, 407 yards, 2790 FPS mv.

[Linked Image]

140 AB, 225 yards, 2850 FPS.

[Linked Image]

There’s more, but you get the point.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice.

Ramshot Big Game is some good stuff... cool

DF

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Nice.

DF

Yes it is. That's what I'm using with the 140 AB and the 120 TTSX. Actually running about 1 gr below book max with both and still getting great velocity with a 22 in barrel. grin grin

Pharmseller, I knew you would chime in eventually. I have a 150 ELDX load worked up too, but it's with RL16 and it's slow.... couldn't get them to like BG or anything that made them run faster.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by country_20boy
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Nice.

DF

Yes it is. That's what I'm using with the 140 AB and the 120 TTSX. Actually running about 1 gr below book max with both and still getting great velocity with a 22 in barrel. grin grin

Pharmseller, I knew you would chime in eventually. I have a 150 ELDX load worked up too, but it's with RL16 and it's slow.... couldn't get them to like BG or anything that made them run faster.

46.2 grains BG, magnum primer, play with seating depth.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
country_20boy,

One of the basic, long-time rules of big game ballistics is that hunters living east of the Mississippi River, who've never hunted elk, require far more "gun" than do actual elk living west of the Mississippi.

Probably because, for generations, we were told by gunwriters that are from west of the Mississippi that we needed them. grin

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Countryboy:

We actually didn't hunt with the horses per se. We rented a ride in and out. The outfitter dropped us and our camp gear off and then came back to haul us out. There was just the two of us, so it wasn't very much stuff. We even rented a wall tent and stove in Denver, so daughter Jane wouldn't have to put up with the trash I normally get by on. Good thing--got very cold...

IIRC, she used 150g AB in her rifle. I wouldn't hesitate to use the 150g BT.

Defend the Constitution
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Teeder
country_20boy,

One of the basic, long-time rules of big game ballistics is that hunters living east of the Mississippi River, who've never hunted elk, require far more "gun" than do actual elk living west of the Mississippi.

Probably because, for generations, we were told by gunwriters that are from west of the Mississippi that we needed them. grin

Lot of truth in that.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Teeder
country_20boy,

I wonder how many elk were wounded and lost by guys who read Elmer Keith and thought they needed a fire breathing magnum for elk? The answer is likely “a lot”.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
If you hunt under the conditions Elmer did, you would understand his position.. Any many elk were lots with small rifles.. You tend to forget that.. Probably more than larger calibers!!!

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A lot of the reasoning behind his position was due to the bullets available in those days, so his position made better sense back then. But really good hunting bullets have been available for...oh about 70 years.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
But not many were available in the 60's, I know I was there.. His elk hunting was in heavy timber, not in open country ... Face it most magnum haters are angry because they cannot or will not shoot them.. They are NOT need for most hunting, but make longer shots easier even in the day of turrets, not always can they be used..

Molon Labe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
They are NOT need for most hunting, but make longer shots easier even in the day of turrets, not always can they be used..

I think that's subject to debate, and depends on the situation. "In the day of turrets" the advantages of magnums (flat trajectory) are canceled out but the disadvantages (recoil) are not.

So what is it that makes long shots easier with magnums these days? It's true that there's not always time to spin a turret (most of the time there is) but lots of scopes have reticles that make spinning turrets unnecessary when time is of the essence.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I have seen many times, ranging spinning the turrets would mean a lost opportunity... If recoil is a problem, don’t use ‘em.. For me the advantage is there.. I will use it.. And it has paid off countless times..

Molon Labe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Recoil ain't a problem, but it is funny to hear people who promote magnums assume it is for others.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I guess that made sense...??

Molon Labe
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ll keep using my magnums for my West Slope, CO elk hunts. I spend way too much time, energy, and money on an elk trip to even entertain the thought of whether I brought enough rifle, or not. Smaller cartridges are just fine if you understand their capabilities and shoot accordingly. I won’t begin to say what range a 7-08 or 7x57 is good for. I’ve had my hand slapped too many times and seemingly proven wrong here on the internet. I’m generally wrong and have the data to prove it! Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My favorite elk rifle has open sights and shoots a bullet with a ping pong ball BC at a whopping 1650 fps.

Go figure.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have seen many times, ranging spinning the turrets would mean a lost opportunity... If recoil is a problem, don’t use ‘em.. For me the advantage is there.. I will use it.. And it has paid off countless times..

Are you saying pray and spray with a magnum is better than range and spin with a smaller one? Im good with lost opportunity. I got five months of season. My little 08 is now in the hands of its second generation. He has planted two into the ground. A pretty good start for a 12 year old.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WAM
I’ll keep using my magnums for my West Slope, CO elk hunts. I spend way too much time, energy, and money on an elk trip to even entertain the thought of whether I brought enough rifle, or not. Smaller cartridges are just fine if you understand their capabilities and shoot accordingly. I won’t begin to say what range a 7-08 or 7x57 is good for. I’ve had my hand slapped too many times and seemingly proven wrong here on the internet. I’m generally wrong and have the data to prove it! Happy Trails

I’m curious to know what cartridges you’ve used to kill elk with?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by WAM

I’m curious to know what cartridges you’ve used to kill elk with?

.308 Win when I hunted thick timber and a long poke was 150 yards. .35 Whelen, 7mm Weatherby, .300 Weatherby more recently. The two Roy’s are my current go-to’s in more open country where shots range from 100 yards to farther than I dare. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,334 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,865
Posts18,497,291
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.