Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoo...onic-wasting-disease-from-spreading.html

It's not often changes in a state's game laws makes national headlines.

Michigan Natural Resources Commission has approved new deer-hunting regulations to help curb chronic wasting disease from spreading, Michigan Department of Natural Resources said.

The rules, which go into effect for this year’s deer-hunting season, will pose new restrictions on baiting and feeding.

Among the regulations will be a statewide ban on the use of all natural cervid urine-based lures, and an immediate ban on baiting and feeding in the 16 counties that make up the Chronic Wasting Disease Management Zone, according to the state’s website.

Chronic wasting disease affects deer, elk and moose and has been spreading across counties in Michigan since it was discovered in a free-ranging deer in May 2015, Michigan Live reported. Though there have been no reported cases of humans contracting the fatal disease, hunters are advised against consuming meat from animals with symptoms.

There is no cure for the disease.

The rest of the state's regulations are listed below:

Reduced the 4-point on-a-side antler requirement on the restricted tag of the combination license in the 16-county CWD Management Zone. Under the new regulation, a hunter in the CWD Management Zone can use the restricted tag of the combination license to harvest a buck with antlers as long as it has at least one 3-inch antler.
Created a discounted antlerless license opportunity in the CWD Management Zone on private land; if purchased, the license will expire Nov. 4, 2018.
Effectively immediately, a statewide ban on the use of all natural cervid urine-based lures and attractants, except for lures that are approved by the Archery Trade Association.
An immediate ban on baiting and feeding in the 16-county area identified as the CWD Management Zone. This area includes Calhoun, Clinton, Eaton, Gratiot, Hillsdale, Ingham, Ionia, Isabella, Jackson, Kent, Mecosta, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo, Ottawa and Shiawassee counties.
A ban on baiting and feeding in the Lower Peninsula, effective Jan. 31, 2019, with an exception to this ban for hunters with disabilities who meet specific requirements. The start date on this regulation is intended to allow bait producers and retailers time to adjust to the new rule.
Effective immediately in the CWD Management Zone and four-county bovine tuberculosis area (in Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency and Oscoda counties), hunters with disabilities who meet specific requirements can now use 2 gallons of single-bite bait, such as shelled corn, during the Liberty and Independence hunts.
Allowance of all legal firearms to be used in muzzleloader season in the CWD Management Zone.
A purchase limit of 10 private-land antlerless licenses per hunter in the CWD Management Zone.
Restrictions on deer carcass movement in the five-county CWD Core Area (Ionia, Kent, Mecosta, Montcalm and Newaygo counties) and the CWD Management Zone.
Antlerless options on deer licenses/combo licenses during firearms seasons in the five-county CWD Core Area.
Expansion of early and late antlerless seasons in select counties.
Changes to regulations regarding wildlife rehabilitators.

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK FOR MORE FOX LIFESTYLE NEWS

In addition, the commission asked the DNR to move forward with:

An experimental mandatory antler point restriction regulation in a five-county CWD Core Area, including Ionia, Kent, Mecosta, Montcalm and Newaygo counties. The restriction would begin in 2019, provided a survey of hunters shows support for the requirement and specific department guidelines are met. This is intended as a tool to evaluate the effects of antler point restrictions on the spread and prevalence of CWD, along with deer population reduction.
A hunter-submitted proposal for mandatory antler point restrictions in Huron, Tuscola, Sanilac, St. Clair and Lapeer counties. If hunter surveys support this regulation and specific department guidelines are met, it would be implemented in 2019.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Good for them.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Good for them.

Agreed. Wish Wisconsin would do the same.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Buckstopper
Good for them.

Yep!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This is going to be huge. While I'm personally ambivalent about baiting, I am really sympathetic to what's going on. There are farmers out there that devote a lot of their efforts to raising carrots, turnips, pumpkins, etc. just for the hunters and their bait piles. Every gas station has a huge pile of this stuff for sale. I'm also sure there are lots of MI hunters that have never considered any other way of hunting.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman
I'm also sure there are lot of MI hunters that have never considered any other way of hunting.

I cannot speak to lower MI but I can confirm that's the case in the U.P.
Though it doesn't appear the U.P. is subject to the ban.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SKane
Good for them.

Yep!

I think it's getting there. Though now I see a few counties where baiting was illegal last year, like washburn where we hunt, you can again. They're also giving out a pretty good amount of antlerless tags too. For about 5 years it was bucks only.

This is a pretty big deal for MI I think. It's a game changer for the U.P I do believe.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Looks like it bans deer pee scents too.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
WV banned it in CWD areas and adjoining counties a while ago. VA has banned urine-based scents. Probably too little, too late in both cases.

There's a WMA not too far from here that only allows muzzleloaders during the rifle season. Reportedly, the bucks there average much nicer than most other areas, since they get a chance to grow up. Unfortunately, that area is also in the CWD zone, so any deer you kill has to be boned out and the skull totally de-fleshed before you move it out of the county. Kinda makes things tough for anyone not a local resident. I definitely wouldn't use a processor in a CWD zone, given the questionable practices of some. Supposedly humans aren't affected by those prions, but I've got enough trouble with my brain as it is, so can't afford any additional risk.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Should make for a very interesting season here. Making baiting illegal is the only cwd change I agree with but I’m not a biologist. The “kill’em all” mentality didn’t work in any state it’s been tried but apparently that’s the plan. Like I said, should be interesting this year.

Craig

IC B3

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
does baiting increase the kill count, or decrease it? if disease is endemic, then what is the best strategy??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good for them.

I couldn't agree more. I grew up not being able to bait, I don't know why it changed, and now look what it got us?

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
They should ban all baiting of ungulates in the USA.....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by SKane
Good for them.

Yep!

I think it's getting there. Though now I see a few counties where baiting was illegal last year, like washburn where we hunt, you can again. They're also giving out a pretty good amount of antlerless tags too. For about 5 years it was bucks only.

This is a pretty big deal for MI I think. It's a game changer for the U.P I do believe.

The wolves took care of that !!!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
All Minerals banned too! the Bad , is most guys that are 40 or younger have never hunted deer without bait! Ill still get my meat, but the state is going to lose alot of Hunters im afraid!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Craig

Game Biologist know the “Kill Em All” approach does NOT work. The prions are Already there in the soil and dead game not found.
They (prions) can survive, exist, for years and be transmitted by ANY scavenger.

Hopefully smarter heads will prevail. Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Judman
They should ban all baiting of ungulates in the USA.....

IF they do it won’t bother me one bit. I have used feeders in years past but NOT in sight of a stand. I haven’t used any feed/bait in a long time.
My kill ratio didn’t drop but have actually killed more w/o any feeding at all.

Here feed/bait is illegal in counties surrounding the CWD zone. I live and hunt a long way from those areas.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Jerry

I hope so but the availability of 10 antlerless tags apiece and taking the restrictions off the second buck tag leave me scratching my head. I suppose the biologists have a plan and it must be a major herd reduction. Which may not be bad in some spots. I do love the no baiting tho....no more neighbors sitting over bushels of corn! Might even see deer move “naturally” come firearms season.

Craig

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No baiting means your neighbor will likely be baiting still.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should make for a very interesting season here. Making baiting illegal is the only cwd change I agree with but I’m not a biologist.

If only they would outlaw animals from eating under the same Oak tree, or drinking from the same water hole. They also need to wear diapers so as not to pee on the ground. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,227
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.