Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KC
the only electronic device you should be carrying is a smart phone or tablet with a GPS and USGS mapping program.

I don’t carry a tablet or gps, but I do carry a camera and rechargeable headlamp, so I guess I don’t fit in your criteria. smile

I do sometimes carry a smartphone for the rare places I can get reception. Other than that, I’m a map an compass guy.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by kellory

To each his own. I know, with enough money, I could carry aluminum climbing stands, or even titanium If I could find one, but i will not spend that kind of money to save a little weight. I carry a steel climber. I know weight adds up, but ultra light gear is not in the budget. Common sense, however, is. Streamline what you will need, try for multi-use items that actually work, and plan ahead, and you can go oldskool instead of counting ounces. For every battery I do not have to carry, that solar charger pays for itself. It's about making choices with an eye to long term.
Sometimes that means a game cart, or sled, or a bicycle with panniers.

My mistake. I assumed, given this is a backpacking forum, you were a backpacker.

I was. Started out in the Boy scouts, and went from there. I'm a hunter, and willing to get there by whatever means are necessary. Backpack, horseback, canoe, rail bike or dogsled, I'm willing. But my point is there are tradeoffs in what works vs minimum possible weight. I'd rather carry a bit more weight and know what I have covers all the bases, than go minimum weight and lose functionality.
If it will not do the job, it doesn't matter how many ounces you saved. For the same reason I will not carry one of those skeleton type blades , because it is a tool I rely on, and can not afford to break it if forced to stress it. All I'm saying is, weight alone is no reason to accept or reject, functionality rules. That's true of solar chargers, guns, knives or any other tool.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
All I'm saying is, weight alone is no reason to accept or reject, functionality rules.

Bullsh**. If not for the weight I'd pack in my canvas wall tent and cylinder stove. Beats a 3-lb. tent any way you slice it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
All I'm saying is, weight alone is no reason to accept or reject, functionality rules.

Bullsh**. If not for the weight I'd pack in my canvas wall tent and cylinder stove. Beats a 3-lb. tent any way you slice it.

That is a choice for you to make. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to do it. Or you could wrap yourself in a trash bag, and stay dry but freeze to death. You decide what you need, then make choices.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

That is a choice for you to make. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to do it.

LOL. obviously you don't know what a wall tent or cylinder stove weighs. Or, what you're talking about in general. But keep on opining it's entertaining if nothing else.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As usual, smokepole, you'd rather argue than listen. I'm just not interested. If you don't mind the cost, and size, you can cook with found fuel, charge enough power to recharge tablets or even a laptop, but it's a $300.00 rocket stove with attachments. It works, it's multi function, but is it worth the trade offs?
https://newatlas.com/biolite-large-wood-grill/30871/

Not to me. I made my choice, and use it often enough to know it fits my needs. The added few ounces is manageable, and I'm happy with the results. I will not obsess over ounces. I'm done here, argue all you want.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As usual, smokepole, you'd rather argue than listen.

LOL, I listen here more than I post. But only if the person who's talking is worth listening to. Anyone who says "weight doesn't matter when you're backpacking" or "you can pack in a wall tent and cylinder stove on your back if you really want to" is not worth listening to.

Ditto for a steel climbing stand, anyone who says they "pack one in" is talking about a day hike, not a backpack hunt.

You can call that "arguing," I'd call it common sense.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

That is a choice for you to make. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to do it.

LOL. obviously you don't know what a wall tent or cylinder stove weighs. Or, what you're talking about in general. But keep on opining it's entertaining if nothing else.

C'mon, Iv'e got a 3rd rifle season backpack hunt planned, you know you wanna pack your canvas tent and stove up there for me! You don't even have to listen to me while you do it, and you can argue it all you want! laugh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sorry man but I'm already packing two cases of beer in the jumbo Yeti and a Weber propane grill, I'm almost maxed out.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry man but I'm already packing two cases of beer in the jumbo Yeti and a Weber propane grill, I'm almost maxed out.

Maybe you’d have room if you swapped out the bottles for beer balls and the propane grill for a Smoky Joe and a few bags of Kingsford (no relation).

You can always break open the charcoal and pack it in among your other gear to save space. Try doing that with propane.

Somebody told me they knew a big time backpack hunter from Ohio who freezes briquettes and uses them in place of ice. I know it works, search YouTube.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Yetti

C'mon, Iv'e got a 3rd rifle season backpack hunt planned, you know you wanna pack your canvas tent and stove up there for me! You don't even have to listen to me while you do it, and you can argue it all you want! laugh

Last comment. Mister, your tent would be no challenge at all. I've moved entire buildings. If there is need enough, it can be done. However, I said weight was not the first criteria, not that it didn't matter. Read what I wrote, not what smokepole made up.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Read what I wrote, not what smokepole made up.

Yes, read what he wrote, here it is verbatim:

Weight alone is a reason to reject some gear and functionality does not rule when you are backpacking. Anyone who says otherwise does not know whereof he speaks. I have all kinds of camping gear that is more functional than my backpacking gear, but doesn't go in the pack due to its weight.

Mister, your tent would be no challenge at all. I've moved entire buildings. If there is need enough, it can be done.

Once again, we are talking about backpacking here. Are you saying you can pack a house on your back? I have a tent and stove you couldn't pack on your back.

I'm a hunter, and willing to get there by whatever means are necessary. Backpack, horseback, canoe, rail bike or dogsled, I'm willing. .

That's great but once again we are talking about backpacking here. Understand?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Lewis and Clark made it all the way to California with these. I think we have all become weak....

Them boys knew how to move around in the back country....

"Generally the dugouts were about thirty feet long and up to three feet wide, with a capacity of between two and three tons, including four to six men, who probably knelt in order to keep the center of gravity low and prevent tipping. Empty, each canoe may have weighed as much as a ton."

Last edited by battue; 08/17/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Last comment. Mister, your tent would be no challenge at all. I've moved entire buildings. If there is need enough, it can be done. However, I said weight was not the first criteria, not that it didn't matter. Read what I wrote, not what smokepole made up.

I’m noticing a penchant for nonsense.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The next, after “mister” goes along the line, “I’ll drop you like a 2 foot putt”. “Mister” is always funny. laugh

Last edited by battue; 08/17/18.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by battue
Lewis and Clark made it all the way to California with these. I think we have all become weak....

Them boys knew how to move around in the back country....

"Generally the dugouts were about thirty feet long and up to three feet wide, with a capacity of between two and three tons, including four to six men, who probably knelt in order to keep the center of gravity low and prevent tipping. Empty, each canoe may have weighed as much as a ton."
No they didn't. They were nowhere near the place. At that time, the Californians hadn't started polluting Portland...where they DID go.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
After looking, you are correct.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kingston

I’m noticing a penchant for nonsense.

I wouldn't call it a penchant, it's more of a real talent, a flair as it were.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OP bwinter, this thread is off topic, but your call. Do you wish to return to your subject, or follow this rabbit down the hole? No one else's opinion matters on this question.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm done here, argue all you want.

Last comment. Mister, your tent would be no challenge at all.

OP bwinter, this thread is off topic, but your call. Do you wish to return to your subject, or follow this rabbit down the hole? No one else's opinion matters on this question.

Next time you announce that you're taking your ball and going home (twice), do us a favor and stay there.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,402
Posts18,470,144
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.