Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by WAM
I’ll keep using my magnums for my West Slope, CO elk hunts. I spend way too much time, energy, and money on an elk trip to even entertain the thought of whether I brought enough rifle, or not. Smaller cartridges are just fine if you understand their capabilities and shoot accordingly. I won’t begin to say what range a 7-08 or 7x57 is good for. I’ve had my hand slapped too many times and seemingly proven wrong here on the internet. I’m generally wrong and have the data to prove it! Happy Trails

I’m curious to know what cartridges you’ve used to kill elk with?

.308 Win when I hunted thick timber and a long poke was 150 yards. .35 Whelen, 7mm Weatherby, .300 Weatherby more recently. The two Roy’s are my current go-to’s in more open country where shots range from 100 yards to farther than I dare. Happy Trails

So your prejudice is for large cartridges. I wonder if you set aside that prejudice and used a 7x57 or 7-08 to kill a few elk that perhaps you might change your opinion... just a thought.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by country_20boy

So, my 7mm-08 is loaded with 140 accubonds at just under 2900 fps and shoots just under moa to 400 yards. I also have a 120 TTSX load at 3150 fps, that shoots a little better than that. So am I crazy for taking my "little" gun after cow elk? Which load would you use, assuming I may have to reach out to 400 or beyond? I'm fully confident in my abilities to 400 yds, as I've killed a pile of deer that far, but I'd rather get close obviously. Right now I'm leaning to the 140 AB, just for the better down range energy, but I could go either way.

Thoughts?????

Take your 7mm-08 with your 140 AB loads. A couple of years ago, my grandson killed his first cow elk (over 400 lbs live weight) with his mother's 7mm-08 and a 120-grain Ballistic Tip. It was a one-shot kill. Range was 309 yards and the bullet went through both lungs and exited. Elk are not bullet proof. The important thing is to be able to put your bullet where it needs to go, and the heart/lung cavity on an elk is a big target.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mudhen
Take your 7mm-08 with your 140 AB loads. A couple of years ago, my grandson killed his first cow elk (over 400 lbs live weight) with his mother's 7mm-08 and a 120-grain Ballistic Tip. It was a one-shot kill. Range was 309 yards and the bullet went through both lungs and exited. Elk are not bullet proof. The important thing is to be able to put your bullet where it needs to go, and the heart/lung cavity on an elk is a big target.

The 7-08 and Ballistic Tips even works on 8.5 year old bulls:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

[/quote]

So your prejudice is for large cartridges. I wonder if you set aside that prejudice and used a 7x57 or 7-08 to kill a few elk that perhaps you might change your opinion... just a thought.

[/quote]

Well, I have a M70 Featherweight 7x57 that I’m working up loads for accuracy that have escaped me so far. The .300 Wby is the best shooting rifle I have at the moment with the 7mm Wby close behind. When I shoot the 7x57 with great confidence, I’ll likely switch to it.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw that SPS had a sale this weekend, so that sucked me in. Found their 7mm08 140 grain ETip loaded ammo on sale for $24.95, plus 10% off Ammo this weekend. Reckon that would be a good elk round. We shall see how it shoots...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
150 ELDX, 407 yards, 2790 FPS mv.

[Linked Image]

P

How in the world did you get that bull to jump in the back of your truck before he was shot?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
7mm08 should work damn well, if you use a good premium bullet. Good luck to the OP. I'll even pack my 7mm08 for a day or 2 during my hunt...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
150 ELDX, 407 yards, 2790 FPS mv.

[Linked Image]

P

How in the world did you get that bull to jump in the back of your truck before he was shot?

He was sleeping in the truck when my nephew shot him. The bed is comfy.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've used 150 grain partitions on elk and 120 grain B-tips are tough to beat for antelope in the 7-08. I had to finish a big desert bull one year that had been shot several times with a 338 WM, for that i had a 7x57 on hand with 175 grain SP. IMHO you can't go wrong with the medium volume 7's for elk or any ungulate for that matter.

Shooter's Edge
FFL in Western CO
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Regardless of the cal you use on elk the toughest bullet you can use is important. Having been hunting big game for over 60 years I've seen elk taken with just about every cal & bullet type . If you get a clean rib cage shot just about any bullet of sufficient weight will work. In my opinion if that bullet does not completely penetrate out the opposite side of the rib cage it is not a bullet I would consider for elk. I have observed elk shot from just about every angle. Your bullet must be able to penetrate deeply from any angle. You may have a very acute angle from the front or back. You may have an elk facing straight away from you or a shoulder exposed between trees. What type of bullet would you want in a case like these. Don't expect a rib cage shot every time. Emotion should not influence what bullet you use, nor should the cheapest box of ammo you can buy from Walmart. I have found the most dependable deep penetrating bullet to be the homogeneous copper style as produced by Barnes, TTSX, TSX, or Hornady GMX. There are some other brands I have not use but from what I have read about them they produce the same results. I have seen the shoulder of an elk stop C&C style bullets & fail to penetrate beyond & require quick follow up shots or an animal could be lost.. When it comes to cal's from 6.5 to 338 the toughest bullet available should be used. When you consider that a solid gives the deepest penetration the homogeneous copper bullet is a solid with an expanding nose. If you come from out of state & spend thousands of dollars for an elk hunt don'e skimp on the bullet. I am a 6.5 shooter & me & mine have had complete success on elk over the years with the Barnes TSX... I have a father/son friend who shoot the 270. The use the Basnes 130gr TSX with complete penetration. Another friend who uses his late fathers 7-08 & the Barnes 140gr also gets complete penetration.These copper bullets give you bone crushing penetration time after time.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Or you could just use a Partition. I hear they work pretty well.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Or you could just use a Partition. I hear they work pretty well.

P

They work well . I have used many in past years but the all copper bullets like the Barnes will far out penetrate the Partition. That's why I switched. [Linked Image]
Here is an example. These two bullets were fired from the same Savage 260 Rem . The bullet on the left is a 6.5 Nosler Partition that started out at 125grs. It was recovered from the off side of a buck I took in 2016. The range was about 80yds.No bone was struck. This bullet now weights 87grs.
The bullet on the right is a Barnes 120gr TSX recovered from the dirt behind my 100yd target. It still weights 120grs. I have taken numerous elk with this Barnes bullet & complete pass thru.every time. Never recovered one even thru bone..Retained weight means retained momentum & therefore greater penetration.

Last edited by Hesp; 08/16/18.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It's not always about penetration...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
On an elk it's always about penetration..

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nah...

I'd take a partition over any Barnes all day long, even with a crappy BC...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Hesp

Here is an example. These two bullets were fired from the same Savage 260 Rem . The bullet on the left is a 6.5 Nosler Partition that started out at 125grs. It was recovered from the off side of a buck I took in 2016. The range was about 80yds.No bone was struck. This bullet now weights 87grs.
The bullet on the right is a Barnes 120gr TSX recovered from the dirt behind my 100yd target. It still weights 120grs. I have taken numerous elk with this Barnes bullet & complete pass thru.every time. Never recovered one even thru bone..Retained weight means retained momentum & therefore greater penetration.

I'm not getting in a pissing match regarding copper solids vs bonded lead core bullets or partitions, but you're comparing apples to oranges. Your Barnes was shot into a dirt embankment! That would make it expand much greater than a game animal in most cases. No doubt a Barnes will out penetrate lead core bullets most of the time, but it doesn't always expand to a perfect mushroom like the photo and that doesn't suit some people. To each his own. I'm a big fan of Barnes bullets, especially in small calibers, but I have recovered several that were barely expanded past the tip and the width measured no more than 10-20% greater than bullet diameter. They still killed the deer, but they don't always expand as shown in your photo. That being said, I still think Barnes is an excellent choice for smaller rifles and bigger game. If I was forced to shoot an elk sized animal with my daughter's .243, there is no doubt in this world, I would take the 80 gr ttsx she currently shoots.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by BuzzH
I shot these 2 at 230 and 240 yards about 30 seconds apart, both exited and both went about 30 yards before piling up, again 7-08 and 140 AB's:

Just reading that makes my back and legs hurt, must have been one hell of an extraction. I don't really worry much about rifle caliber anymore, but I spend a lot of time worring about how I'm going to get what I shoot off the mountain, or worse, up out of the valley.

I've never shot an elk with a 7mm-08, but can verify that 140gr ABs out of 6.5 Creeds and .270s will poke holes through both sides of a cow and leave a trail of havock in between. Along the same lines as the OP, I'm considering using 127gr LRX in the 6.5 this year just to try them. The LRX shoot great and have a good reputation, but Accubonds just kill so well... Hard to mess with a known preformer.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 08/16/18.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GregW
Nah...

This...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by GregW

The partition, or the Barnes?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
140 TTSX broke both shoulder blades and exited on this bull at about 60 yards from a 17” barreled 7/08. Impact velocity was about 2600 FPS. Found one petal of the bullet in the off side shoulder meat.

Bull went 20-30 yards, blowing chunks of lung out his nose.

I was pretty impressed with the performance.

[Linked Image]

Front shoulders.... entrance side on the right, exit on the left....

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (1OntarioJim, 41rem, 16penny, 35, afisher, 11 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,494
Posts18,472,105
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.