Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by pahick
I dont know your exact details, but if the interest difference between 15 and 30 was great I can understand. But doing a 15 when you can do a 30 and put the extra toward principal....well lets hope you dont end up on youre previously mentioned WC benefits.

Interest certainly is nice. Some people even go on about investing money they owe to bank cause they think interest rates make it worth it.

But it really comes down to monthly payment and buying a house you can afford. So regardless of interest rate 15 years is 15 years. Whether you commit to it on day one or pay extra long the way. Just going to cost you more.

So what is your point? Take a 30 year loan and pretend it is 15,works too. Ha???

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
15 yr should be max offered. If you can't afford a 15, keep renting till that changes. Interesting statistics here, if median means anything to you:

https://dqydj.com/retirement-savings-by-age-united-states/

"Never take financial advice from broke people" should be repeated often.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by Zerk
Not sure what is tough here. Having the money I was spending on mortgage sooner, is better. I don't want to retire with a mortgage. Sure you can borrow on 30 and pay off 15. That is same as taking 15, just worse interest rate. But either way you are paying off sooner. So either way better than paying on loan for 30 years.

No its not the same as paying 15, because the interest rate may be a little higher at 30, 30s monthly is lower.

Ahh, do believe taking a loan with a higher interest rate and make a bigger payment is better?

If you want to pay house off in 15 years, you think is better with higher interest rate? You should try one of those calculators.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure what is tough here. Having the money I was spending on mortgage sooner, is better. I don't want to retire with a mortgage. Sure you can borrow on 30 and pay off 15. That is same as taking 15, just worse interest rate. But either way you are paying off sooner. So either way better than paying on loan for 30 years.

No its not the same as paying 15, because the interest rate may be a little higher at 30, 30s monthly is lower.

Ahh, do believe taking a loan with a higher interest rate and make a bigger payment is better?

If you want to pay house off in 15 years, you think is better with higher interest rate? You should try one of those calculators.

I dont need a calculator. Yes, a 30 is better. As long as the difference in interest rates isnt astronomical. Are you going to pay more? Yes. A lot more? No. Depends on how you see things. Do you think the higher interest of a 30 is a bigger risk than potentially not being about to make your monthly if something bad happens? You can have your 15, ill stay with 30.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I read his book in 2005 ish. Looked at the wife and said we need to pay off our debt. Lived frugally for two years and paid it all off, 2008 crash left me feeling good about the decision.

NRA Life Member
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Sucking peckers how? Why so emotional? Spending like a liberal are you?

I do agree, if you don't have self control, than don't bother. He has said same thing to people to.

But if you are paying big lots on interest to credit card company you need to make a lot on the market to overcome, plus subtracting taxes. I do question not getting your employers match. But I also get his point if you really apply yourself, it wont make a difference if you give it up for a bit. Though I have always got enough to get match. But that is just 4% where I am at, i I put in 7%, Granted that is a bigger return than you will get anywhere else. But if you are debt free you sure have alot of extra money.

Not emotional at all. Just stating things as I see it. Too stupid to learn what schools dont teach you, so you end up smoking some guys pecker because apparently someone who is at the bottom of the barrel told you he is a financial God or you were on your last leg and just happened across him.

Ramsey is to finance what Osteen is to religion.

I dont understand your hostility to Dave. His teaching is common sense. Dave does allow a mortgage for your home. He wants people to be out of debt so they can build their wealth using their income, which is their most powerful wealth building tool. Its working for many people and works fine for me, although I am not completely on board. I have a truck loan. Once you get a rental by paying cash then you buy the next one faster, and the next one faster yet etc. It happens fast. You can build one heck of a nest egg if you dont have debt.

What Dave teaches helps a lot of people retire with dignity. Risk is a bad thing and many people go broke leveraging credit. Do you have more money than Dave?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like most of Daves ideas. But, following his advice cost me a ton of money once. I parked most of my money and sold my real estate investments in 2008 right before everything went bad. I was looking for something to invest in and noticed some obvious manipulation in the silver market I jumped in with both feet when spot was around $9 an ounce. I probably bought a total of around 6000 ounces. I had monster boxes stacked in the safes and slid under the bed. I started following Dave and he said to sell all the metals and pay off debt. I said it looked like it was headed for a big run up but Daves guys said sell it all now and pay your house down. So I think around 2010 I sold most of it for little to no profit. Then within the next year it ran up to $48 an ounce. If I would have trusted myself and held it a little longer it would have paid off my house and everything else.

Bb

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
What is your money doing for you sitting in the bank? Dont answer me, think about it.at.

Huh? WTF are you talking about?

You can use cash to buy real estate, invest in your business, or invest in market.

Dave tells you not to leave it in the bank, other than emergency fund. He says to keep that fairly liquid. The interest I am losing on that, is not changing the my life.

Waiting 30 yrs to save enough for a house IS changing your life. Good debt. Do you believe in it?

Dave allows for mortgage on his plan. Save enough down to avoid PMI and get a 15 year mortage is his recommendation. Then pay it off as soon as you can. You dont know what your talking about, and it shows more every page.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oakster
Do you have more money than Dave?

No, do you?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Do you have more money than Dave?

No, do you?

no, but I like the direction I am going. The point is, Daves advice is based on what he does. It worked for him and works for many.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is your money doing for you sitting in the bank? Dont answer me, think about it.at.

Huh? WTF are you talking about?

You can use cash to buy real estate, invest in your business, or invest in market.

Dave tells you not to leave it in the bank, other than emergency fund. He says to keep that fairly liquid. The interest I am losing on that, is not changing the my life.

Waiting 30 yrs to save enough for a house IS changing your life. Good debt. Do you believe in it?

Dave allows for mortgage on his plan. Save enough down to avoid PMI and get a 15 year mortage is his recommendation. Then pay it off as soon as you can. You dont know what your talking about, and it shows more every page.

Do you know how to increase money that you borrow? You do know what the word profit means dont you? Have you ever made a profit? Outside of standard "investments". Saving is good, dont get me wrong. Sitting on money that isnt making a profit is foolish.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oakster................Lets say I gave you $50,000 @12%, total payback 12 months. Can you make money on it? No? Theres youre problem. Keep banking yours while the rest of the world is "working" theirs.

Last edited by pahick; 08/20/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some people need Dave Ramsey. But they sell themselves short. Risk comes in all forms, and if they need to eliminate risk until theyre debt free, so be it. But those people that need Dave Ramsey, those people that need to be risk free dont get far in life. Let me rephrase that. People that need to be risk free never reach their potential. NO ONE got rich, let alone debt free, being risk free.

I realize not everyone grew up making money. And many who did made it different ways. I made mistakes in my life that set me back, and health issues stopped my progress. I am not rich, not close. But I know how to make money off other peoples money. I cant make money by saving.

Some of you guys posting on here make BIG bucks. And you need Dave to get you out of debt. Pffttt!! A guy selling tomatoes along the roads got more brains than half of ya. The American Dream......more like a fuggin wet dream y'all are livin.

Wanna get outta debt? Take RISK!

Here, heres a damn market report, open to the public.

http://www.masondixonautoauction.com/marketreport.html

Autos not your thing? Pick something, anything. Learn to make money. Apparently you arent making enough to support your current lifestyle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I dont need a calculator. Yes, a 30 is better. As long as the difference in interest rates isnt astronomical. Are you going to pay more? Yes. A lot more? No. Depends on how you see things. Do you think the higher interest of a 30 is a bigger risk than potentially not being about to make your monthly if something bad happens? You can have your 15, ill stay with 30.

I can't believe I'm reading this. shocked

Even at modest rates for both, say, on a 200k mortgage, that's potentially pi$$ing away 15k.
Sounds like you want piece-of-monthly-mind vs. the risk you're so readily recommending to others.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like Dave Ramsey. Good advice!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Oakster................Lets say I gave you $50,000 @12%, total payback 12 months. Can you make money on it? No? Theres youre problem. Keep banking yours while the rest of the world is "working" theirs.

Why can't I make money investing cash?

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never watched or listened to a single show of his. I am also not in debt. I think finances are intuitive to anyone who is responsible. The concept isn’t hard at all, to me. The most important things? Live beneath your means, and aggressivly save in the right vehicles to help growth, especially above inflation.

Don’t hate him. Just don’t need him.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
I like Dave Ramsey. Good advice!

Me too.

What he preaches oughtta be sung from the rooftops.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Sounds like my old buddy that was going to get rich daytrading back in the late 90's. He made some for a while but when things went south it cleaned him out, he's living in a shack and running a backhoe now.

Everybody's a financial genius when times are booming, eventually the boom stops though and when you're leveraged to the hilt it's not fun.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z

I have taken out long loans and just set up the payments to be like a shorter loan. I get the point of having secruity. I do now how much a couple points can mean, and have refied my house even though I had to put down cash. Though you shouldn't have a 2 point difference on 15 to 30.

I agree there can be more secruity, but also question walking the line of more house than you can afford.

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 22250rem, 1badf350, 2500HD, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,947
Posts18,519,179
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.