Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I listen to Dave Ramsey's show when I catch it on.

I don't understand why people have to call Dave Ramsey, or anybody else to be told that they're broke.

I pretty much had addition and subtraction down by the end of first grade.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I don't understand why people have to call Dave Ramsey, or anybody else to be told that they're broke.

The callers did too , they just don’t know how to apply it in the real world.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by slumlord
Yo Bobmt

You don't by chance have of them illegal rivera's working in your "home builder bidness" ?

seems like a good time to ask

Just answer no

no...bob

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I used to play Dave on our jobsite radio often. I was sort of trying to indoctrinate some of my rent-a-bums that were always hitting me up for same day pay.

Friend of mine wanted to prank call the show one time and make it sound like he was at the end of his rope and about to shoot himself. lol

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

A favorite segment is his "stupid tax" hour.

People talking about dumb stuff they've ever bought. Llamas, alpacas, monkeys, $1300 parrot
haha

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I worked with a young man in his early 30's a few years ago who mentioned to me that him and his wife were $60,000 in debt on credit cards. This was at that Japanese owned factory that you folks have probably heard me mention,....tough place to work,...lot's of mandatory overtime.

I didn't say anything to him about it,..none of my business. But it occurred to me that he didn't own his own life. He was a slave. He was spending his entire life in that factory and probably was just barely able to pay interest on the principal on those credit cards.

I realize that everybody is responsible for their own actions. But there's something wrong with a loan system that will allow young people to just financially ruin themselves before their life is even started.

That student loan business that's going on right now ought to be criminal.

Even the Mafia loan sharks won't loan an unemployed 19 or 20 year old kid $50,000. But evidently any kid with a high school diploma can indenture himself for life with student loans.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I worked with a young man in his early 30's a few years ago who mentioned to me that him and his wife were $60,000 in debt on credit cards. This was at that Japanese owned factory that you folks have probably heard me mention,....tough place to work,...lot's of mandatory overtime.

I didn't say anything to him about it,..none of my business. But it occurred to me that he didn't own his own life. He was a slave. He was spending his entire life in that factory and probably was just barely able to pay interest on the principal on those credit cards.

I realize that everybody is responsible for their own actions. But there's something wrong with a loan system that will allow young people to just financially ruin themselves before their life is even started.

That student loan business that's going on right now ought to be criminal.

Even the Mafia loan sharks won't loan an unemployed 19 or 20 year old kid $50,000. But evidently any kid with a high school diploma can indenture himself for life with student loans.

Strong points, Bristoe.

There’s more than a few out there who’ve accumulated enormous debt by just plain bad luck like extended illness, etc. . For those there is compassion.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Well, considering that half of the people who retire do so with no savings of any kind, there's obviously plenty of people that can't do math.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It wasn't *always* the way it is now.

Back when I was 19 years old,.already out living on my own,...had a job,..

I tried to borrow $300 to buy an old motorcycle that a guy had for sale. Back then, a young man scratching by like I was couldn't borrow $300 to save his life.

Things have changed.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I tried to borrow $300 to buy an old motorcycle that a guy had for sale. Back then, a young man scratching by like I was couldn't borrow $300 to save his life.

Things have changed.

You’ve been talking to Pahick.

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Things have changed.

hmmmmmm,....I must have missed what Pahick has to say about it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Things have changed.

hmmmmmm,....I must have missed what Pahick has to say about it.

Back in this thread a ways.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hey Dave-- I'm debt free!!!

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My secret to how to live the good life is to not want anything. I'm being a little facetious,....but only a little. In fact, if it wasn't so much trouble, I'd sell off a lot of this stuff that I've accumulated over the years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have probably seen this before...

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least." ...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 65BR
You have probably seen this before...

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least." ...

Like the homeless I suppose.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"OK, you used PayPal. Did Ramsey advertise payment via "Credit Card" on his website where you ordered the merchandise? Just curious for previously stated reasons."

Rest assured, Dave has never advertised credit card payment on his show.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Oakster
Originally Posted by pahick
Originally Posted by Oakster
Do you have more money than Dave?

No, do you?

no, but I like the direction I am going. The point is, Daves advice is based on what he does. It worked for him and works for many.

Here's my rub with Ramsey. If everyone did as he suggests, the economy would absolutely grind to a halt.

People with some savvy and fire in their belly willing to take on some risk and leverage in order to build something are what makes this economy go and grow.

I carry no cc debt. Have a couple mortgages and a loan for a business purchase that is locked in at 3%. Other than those secured debt, I have none. No car debts, no student loans etc.

Am I in debt? Absolutely. Am I upside down with my debt? Absolutely not.

I could have sold everything out (real estate etc.) in about 6-8 years would've provided a decent little retirement, debt-free and comfortable. Being willing to take on more debt and attack this new business is allowing me even more opportunity and freedom.

Montana MOFO
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
as i've said here before, i've listened on and off for 25 years and it has paid off. granted i had depression era parents who didn't need DR advice to live within their means and passed that on to me. his advice is a good basis for how to operate your finances. i don't agree with with everything he says but his overall advice is correct. is it common sense? sure. but if you've lived around people who have never had parents with financial common sense, you would see where his advice is really needed. people with 60k in CC debt, 90k in student loans on a useless degree. owe 30k on a truck thats worth 20. 300k house that they owe 299 on. all on a 75k salary. thats the kind of schit that a hell of a lot of people see their parents doing and think thats the way to live. as i've said, his FPU ought to be a required class for all high schoolers.

My diploma is a DD214
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Here's my rub with Ramsey. If everyone did as he suggests, the economy would absolutely grind to a halt.

People with some savvy and fire in their belly willing to take on some risk and leverage in order to build something are what makes this economy go and grow.

I carry no cc debt. Have a couple mortgages and a loan for a business purchase that is locked in at 3%. Other than those secured debt, I have none. No car debts, no student loans etc.

Am I in debt? Absolutely. Am I upside down with my debt? Absolutely not.

I take the opposite analogy. If you have no debt, you have more $$$ to put in circulation. That makes the economy go 'round and 'round. Been debt free for almost 20 years now and there's no substitute, IMO.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1badf350, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,953
Posts18,519,323
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.