Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53
another thing some people just will never man up .

Thank you, Provincial Pete.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by akmtnrunner
It's really hard to argue with a personal decision made with good reason.

With that said, however, there is enough shared experience to support the comparable killing ability of lots of non magnum cartridges. I recently had to defend my camp from an Alaskan mountain grizzly with a 130 ttsx from a 308, and I am happy to report that he couldn't have died any sooner unless shot in the head. There are just so many variables that do into turning out the lights on a large animal, that the only way to go wrong is to get stuck on just one of them.

akmtnrunner - very well stated.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

With that said, however, there is enough shared experience to support the comparable killing ability of lots of non magnum cartridges. I recently had to defend my camp from an Alaskan mountain grizzly with a 130 ttsx from a 308, and I am happy to report that he couldn't have died any sooner unless shot in the head. There are just so many variables that do into turning out the lights on a large animal, that the only way to go wrong is to get stuck on just one of them.

Dang, I call 30 cals: lucky charms. Work when you want them to, sometimes don't work when you least expect it. Lucky charms:

Remember few years back when Doug shot Eric with a 180 grain core lokt fired from a 30-06?? Hit him in chest? Ole Eric (never new middle aged men from the city were that tough), hollars down to doug after taking a semi-center mass shot: "You hit me!"

Ole eric still alive.

30 cal: lucky charms!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

Dang, I call 30 cals: lucky charms. Work when you want them to, sometimes don't work when you least expect it. Lucky charms:

Remember few years back when Doug shot Eric with a 180 grain core lokt fired from a 30-06?? Hit him in chest? Ole Eric (never new middle aged men from the city were that tough), hollars down to doug after taking a semi-center mass shot: "You hit me!"

Ole eric still alive.

30 cal: lucky charms!

Wait, what??????

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by 79S
When did moose hunting rifle have to be lightweight? My moose rifles all weigh empty around 7 1/2 lbs.. Anyhow I take either one but if something goes sideways ie forget 338-06 ammo at home you are screwed unless you find a forum member up here that could square up on using there press. So I would opt for the 300 WSM..

That's true about ammo that's not locally found.

My newest Ruger Hawkeye weights over 8 pounds empty. I asked MacMillan to make sure I didn't get a lightweight stock, and the response was, "the stock I am making for your .338WM is designed to be as heavy as possible to help with recoil." The same can be said about a .375H&H, as out of the box is not lightweight. But that extra weight helps with recoil.

So you build an extra cumbersome rifle to handle the recoil you would not need to worry about with a more modest and equally deadly cartridge... got it...

Perhaps you, as usual in this forum, are imagining something that isn't? The rifle I am referring to is already heavy, even with its 22" barrel. It is a Ruger Hawkeye African model that has a beautiful walnut stock. I replaced the stock with a McMillan fiberglass one, that with a decelerator recoil pad installed, fits my LOP. This rifle is not cumbersome at all, and in fact its heftiness does help with recoil. I am certain that you are old enough to have at least heard of the great number of published articles that relate to taming rifle recoil, and that rifle weight is one of the methods used...

Okay, change the word "build" to "select"... I initially chose build because you modified it and used recoil taming as a reason for your selection. There is no way a Hawkeye African is as light and handy as an ordinary commercial rifle with a 22" barrel. It simply is not. I am more than a little familiar with the concept of taming recoil. When building stocks for rifles with potentially sharp or heavy recoil I start with cast to mitigate recoil. If it needs weight I can add it, but it still comes back to selecting a rifle with potential recoil issues for questionable gains at that increased "cost" of compromises.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gentleman, cartridge size , barrel length and weight of the rifle depends on each persons size ,strength and endurance .so no rifle and cartridge will make or fit every person the same way, another thing some people just will never man up .

So at 6'4" and 240 I should not use a featherweight 243 for anything? Good to know...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

+1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Gentleman, cartridge size , barrel length and weight of the rifle depends on each persons size ,strength and endurance .so no rifle and cartridge will make or fit every person the same way, another thing some people just will never man up .

So at 6'4" and 240 I should not use a featherweight 243 for anything? Good to know...

Well maybe some like smaller rifles and can`t handle much recoil ? myself and many others still prefer a heavier rifle and a Ruger Hawkeye sounds good too,just man up and handle it.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Well maybe some like smaller rifles and can`t handle much recoil ? myself and many others still prefer a heavier rifle and a Ruger Hawkeye sounds good too,just man up and handle it.

Go get 'em there Big Fella!

Laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by driggy
I'd go with the WSM as you can get ammo for it if you have luggage issues. I haven't seen 338-06 on the shelf. If you can preship a supply to your guide, I'd like the heavier bullet of the '06.

Very expensive to ship ammo to AK... we do not have anything they call "ground" so it has to come by barge and the minimum weight to make it reasonable is measured in hundred pound units... It is pretty much a bring it in your baggage or buy it here proposition.

Yeah, but Alaska Airlines will let you ship 50 lbs per bag, ammunition only, if you prefer! smile. 3 bag limit in Alaska.... smile

Last edited by las; 08/24/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'm gonna use the Rem 725 in .260 with 140 gr Corelokts on my next moose. Hunt. Next year. Likely won't hunt moose at all this year- freezer full of Kotzebue caribou. I stocked up before I moved! smile

So what is the diff between a .260, 140 gr, and a .308 150 gr, or 7mm 140 gr? Well, a dead critter ain't gonna tell you, that's for sure!

Left the .260 in CO a week or so back for an upcoming October elk hunt, but with a broken pin-in extractor. Just ordered new one (700- should fit) an hour or so ago. Brought the bolt back to fix. Likely take the 700-243 bolt back down with me as well- same headspace, according to the field gauge. Can't find my go/no go gauges - but then, I'm a "generalist"...... smile

.260 was bang flop in my last cow elk - and a bunch of caribo before and since. No reason it won't work on a moose...

Caliber-anoia is way over-rated. Whether or not you can actually shoot....

Last edited by las; 08/24/18.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
[quote=Sitka deer]

Yeah, but Alaska Airlines will let you ship 50 lbs per bag, ammunition only, if you prefer! smile. 3 bag limit in Alaska.... smile

But make darned sure you have it in an approved ammo container (or containers if you're bringing 50 pounds).

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
What - you mean a burlap bag won't do? smile

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by 79S
When did moose hunting rifle have to be lightweight? My moose rifles all weigh empty around 7 1/2 lbs.. Anyhow I take either one but if something goes sideways ie forget 338-06 ammo at home you are screwed unless you find a forum member up here that could square up on using there press. So I would opt for the 300 WSM..

That's true about ammo that's not locally found.

My newest Ruger Hawkeye weights over 8 pounds empty. I asked MacMillan to make sure I didn't get a lightweight stock, and the response was, "the stock I am making for your .338WM is designed to be as heavy as possible to help with recoil." The same can be said about a .375H&H, as out of the box is not lightweight. But that extra weight helps with recoil.

So you build an extra cumbersome rifle to handle the recoil you would not need to worry about with a more modest and equally deadly cartridge... got it...

Perhaps you, as usual in this forum, are imagining something that isn't? The rifle I am referring to is already heavy, even with its 22" barrel. It is a Ruger Hawkeye African model that has a beautiful walnut stock. I replaced the stock with a McMillan fiberglass one, that with a decelerator recoil pad installed, fits my LOP. This rifle is not cumbersome at all, and in fact its heftiness does help with recoil. I am certain that you are old enough to have at least heard of the great number of published articles that relate to taming rifle recoil, and that rifle weight is one of the methods used...

Okay, change the word "build" to "select"... I initially chose build because you modified it and used recoil taming as a reason for your selection. There is no way a Hawkeye African is as light and handy as an ordinary commercial rifle with a 22" barrel. It simply is not. I am more than a little familiar with the concept of taming recoil. When building stocks for rifles with potentially sharp or heavy recoil I start with cast to mitigate recoil. If it needs weight I can add it, but it still comes back to selecting a rifle with potential recoil issues for questionable gains at that increased "cost" of compromises.

No, I did not "build" that rifle. I chose the McMillan synthetic stock because I don't want to mess up the beautiful walnut one during the moose seasons in the interior of Alaska, not because of its weight. However, the McMillan stock is slightly heavier than the wood stock, and solid fiberglass all the way through, and they built it for me. I didn't want a lightweight stock, since extra weight does help with recoil, and so I asked McMillan. On top of that, a gunsmith friend of mine measured my LOP, and the stock was built to my LOP with a decelerator recoil pad as part of this LOP. I did not build the rifle I mentioned above. It is a Ruger Hawkeye African that is exactly the same as the one shown in the link below, except that it has a sort of dark matte gray color, does not have a muzzle brake, has a 22" barrel, and express sights. The bolt is also finished with the same gray color, and the rifle weights 8 pounds empty.

https://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeAfrican/specSheets/47120.html

Again, those are your assumptions. I only have two hunting rifles, both Ruger .338WMs and that's what I because familiar with since I retired from the military in the early '90s. I select my handguns and rifles the way I want them, not based on anybody else's opinions other than my gunsmith's. But this guy would never tell others what rifle and caliber they should choose. I am quite used to the .338WM's recoil. I have other rifles, but the .338's are the ones I use for hunting.

Last edited by Ray; 08/24/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
What - you mean a burlap bag won't do? smile

Nor do vac-sealed bags. And flimsy factory paper boxes trump hinged plastic boxes among some counter 'people'. (BTW, some in the TSA prefer to open shotshell boxes through the glued bottoms. laugh )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I noticed that... whatcha git wit 30 day TSA "immigrants" out in the Bush. Some last longer. Or are repeaters - suckers for punishment maybe.

Actually a few of them are regular "fellows" - male or female. Linda was always good for a hug Kotzebue or Anchorage. when I saw her. Sometimes a piece of cake in Kotz when she was there , whether I was an AK Air employee (now "civilian" ) or her fellow TSA coworkers. She makes good cakes!

Probably a rule against that somewhere....

Last edited by las; 08/25/18.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
benefits of small towns. I dug out and unstuck one of the counter girl's cars after a snow storm in ADQ, thereafter there often seemed to be an uncharged first-class seat available to at least Seattle when I went outside. Of course, first class from ADQ to ANC was kinda just like 2nd and 3rd class. But dang, I miss it!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Go get 'em there Big Fella!

Laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!

>>yes, thank you very much

Last edited by pete53; 08/25/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by las
I'm gonna use the Rem 725 in .260 with 140 gr Corelokts on my next moose. Hunt. Next year. Likely won't hunt moose at all this year- freezer full of Kotzebue caribou. I stocked up before I moved! smile

So what is the diff between a .260, 140 gr, and a .308 150 gr, or 7mm 140 gr? Well, a dead critter ain't gonna tell you, that's for sure!

Left the .260 in CO a week or so back for an upcoming October elk hunt, but with a broken pin-in extractor. Just ordered new one (700- should fit) an hour or so ago. Brought the bolt back to fix. Likely take the 700-243 bolt back down with me as well- same headspace, according to the field gauge. Can't find my go/no go gauges - but then, I'm a "generalist"...... smile

.260 was bang flop in my last cow elk - and a bunch of caribo before and since. No reason it won't work on a moose...

Caliber-anoia is way over-rated. Whether or not you can actually shoot....

That's all true, Las

A good shot works while a bad shot may not, regardless of caliber. Choose a good load that is appropriate for the game hunted, and the rest is all to the person taking the shot. Also, good luck on your side is always helpful, because sometimes things don't work as one wants it to.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Take them both or either one, you have plenty of rifle, just shoot straight.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (7887mm08, 300_savage, 44mc, 2500HD, Amos63, 8 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,674
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.