If I had ah 338-06 setting in the safe, regardless of the weight or group size, or whatever, i'd surely grab that to head north. Quartering towards or quartering away shots aren't something you'd pass up with a good 338 caliber rifle. I never did feel comfortable talking with hunters about thinking beyond 30 caliber though, when talkin bear and moose. People get kinda mad at yah.

Because of the standard length of the cartridge, I'd go for a nice 280 grain swift a-frame at 2300-2400 fps. They open up real well at lower velocity, and penetrate nicely. Can take the whole front end out, with no bloodshot meat. That way there, ole bull moosey won't try to beeline for a swamp hole, or back into the river.

I caught a 55 incher with a 275 grain woodleigh from a 358 Winchester, caught a 56 incher with the same load the following year. I always shuck the lever for a second shot if I can. With the big moose, I never did subscribe to that romanticized "one shot one kill", bllsht either. Of those four 275 grainers, one of the woodleighs didn't expand. I suspect not enough lead exposed at the tip for lower velocity cartridges. I've since switched to A-frames and much happier with expansion.

Last year's 40 incher I caught, the 300 grain Swift a-frame from my 9.3 expanded fully on the bull, bout 500 yds away. Quartering away, bullet drove clear through moose, found in the forearm against hide. Never did get a second shot in him, he was already on his way down before I took aim.

Big bull moose can really take some lethal shots, and run or stand for quite some time. Weirdest thing I've ever seen: big bull moose shot four fingers width low, from behind the ear, square through the neck, with a brenneke black magic 12 gauge slug. Fell down, bled all over. Came to (when least expected), got up, and ran 1/2 mile. Was still alive when caught up to, bedded down, and got back up to run again, finally killed at 20 yds. After witnessing that, I never did go for that neck-shot stuff.

Out of my respect for the shear tenacity of what I've witnessed of the big warrior bull moose, I always scratch my head bout folks who down play them, or claim that they always die easy with any ole deer bullet. What the hide, bone and meat can do to a deer bullet too.

Few years back, my buddy Steve caught a cow moose with the standard 338 RCM 225 grain sst load factory load (all they sell). It went all of 8 inches into the cow and fragmented like a hollow-point. Bloodshot the whole entry side of front quarter. He thought it'd work well, since it worked well on caribou. Few years back, he bought some 280 grain swift a-frames to hand-load in his little 338 RCM, but hasn't got out for moose since I don't think.

Other hunters here in AK have caught big ole bulls with old 30 cal bullets in em. One hunter caught an ole bull with a pussed-up 270 caliber expanded bullet lodged in the neck bone.

Never really got too caught up on velocity, but sure have admired what these heavy/medium-bore partitions, a-frames and woodleighs do at 2200-2400 fps. Not magic or anything........but close!