Wowsa, great story on the mighty little underdog: the 358 Winchester. I would have to say, that's the best story I've ever heard, involving the 358 Winchester. Yah, when heavy winter clothes are involved, or elevation, by gully is the little 358 handy, with plenty of range. After you broke out the shoulders and anchored North America's largest animal, did you scratch your head and wonder if the little 358 was magic or something?

Some time ago Yukon, I believe an article was written in a gun rag, full of that thar "theoretical thinking out loud". The author opined that he liked 225 grainers in the 358, because the larger caliber bullets take up too much powder capacity in the 358. Nothing could be further from the truth: All 250 grain flat base spritzers set right at the little shoulder when load to standard COAL.

Elmer Keith mentioned the little 358 Winchester in one of his last books: Hell, I was There. He claimed the little 358 with a 250 grainer was plenty sufficient on the largest of North American game. Not much has changed, aye? Everybody got ah pet cartridge, and I suppose over the years the 358 has accomplished some of my greatest memories on the rivers.

Yah that little 338 federal carbine, what ah handy canoe gun. I never did pick up one, but an old hunting pard has one as his sole hunting rifle. I watched him catch both a caribou and moose with it. Luckily, let me target practice with it too. What ah handy little gem, with no gunsmithing or modifications required. Those integral scope bases and fine open sights are darn smart. Was probably the best-buy hunting rifle/caliber I've seen for years.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 10/25/18.