remarkable story MH. So what i'm gathering, is that bull took five shots from your 338 cal. That "one shot-one kill" bs is silly, isnt it?? I'm certain you too, have developed a heightened appreciation for what these big warrior moose are capable of handling. You ever thought of a little more bullet weight? The big warriors don't care too much about velocity. Slow that big behemoth of a cartridge down, with some more bullet weight.

Fastest kill I've ever experienced on a big bull: a 275 grainer at a modest 2200 fps(358 winchester), head on charging shot. Quick shuck of the levah # 2 threaded behind the ear as the big warrior struggled to raise his head.

Never always a picturesque, standing broadside shot aye?

Tells yah what, we moose hunters oughtta band together a bit, and convince these cape buffalo hunters that bull moose don't always die easy. Stakes are high when they don't........

I've been getting mighty intrigued at the thought of a handy 45 cal rifle someday, on the standard action. That darn bear guide, Phil, writting those articles about the ole 458 win mag. Some dreamy sht right there.

79s, far as this lightweight madness, I like the way you think! I swear, some cartridges just aren't made to be ultra light. I dunno, it's some sort of urban, granola sickness I think. Guy in a Patagonia puffy jacket tells his buddy at mooses tooth pub: "I think your rifle looks fat". He immediately runs to the bathroom, stick his finger down his throat, vomits up his artisan pizza, runs home and immediately orders a Macmillan ultralight stock.

My 358 is glorious as a light gun with a simple fixed 2.5 ultralight scope. Recoil aint bad. The ole 9.3, a full power 300 grain load from the 7.5 lbs rifle is fierce but tolerable. wouldn't want it any lighter. The recoil from my 7.75 lbs 1895 browning chambered in my 41 caliber wildcat shooting 350 grain A-frames, just a dream to shoot, more so than my 7.5 all-around moose gun.

Those little 308 family ah cartridges, perfect ultralights, aye??

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 08/24/18.