Originally Posted by akmtnrunner
It's really hard to argue with a personal decision made with good reason.

With that said, however, there is enough shared experience to support the comparable killing ability of lots of non magnum cartridges. I recently had to defend my camp from an Alaskan mountain grizzly with a 130 ttsx from a 308, and I am happy to report that he couldn't have died any sooner unless shot in the head. There are just so many variables that do into turning out the lights on a large animal, that the only way to go wrong is to get stuck on just one of them.

Good points.

Another example is the bear Phil (.458) shot in self defense with a 9mm pistol. There are too many variables involved. Somewhere above .458 said something like this: "use whichever gun you are most comfortable with." Then there are times where the best defense is whatever you have at hand at the moment. The bottom line is that every one of us has different opinions, likes, and dislikes, about guns and calibers; but in reality none of that matters but to oneself. The other person does not think exactly like I do.

I started hunting late in life, at the age of 46 when retiring from the military in Alaska. After a lot of research among coworkers, friends, and other Alaskans, I chose the .338WM. This was the first hunting gun I ever had, and the one I became "comfortable' with it. I could very well use another gun caliber, but for some reason I feel that if it's is not broken I don't need to fix it.

There is nothing wrong with other person hunting with a .308, .30-06, or a .458 Lott, a light rifle or a heavy one, and so on.

Last edited by Ray; 08/24/18.