I'd be a lot less disappointed if I had to pass up a shot if I had plentiful opportunities to hunt moose in the near and extended future, than I would if I couldn't go back for years.

I know it’s controversial, but I think different cartridge/bullet combinations can have different impacts on an animal. The above-mentioned difference between the .243 and .308 on deer was one illustration of that. Others may disagree, but I wouldn’t have taken that first shot I took with, say, a 150gr .270 bullet going 2,850 fps (MV). The .340 flings a bullet that is 50% bigger (cross section) and 50% heavier at a velocity that is 10% faster. I felt comfortable taking that shot with the .340 that I would have passed up with a .270. That’s just me. That would have left me wishing I had a bigger gun if that was one of a few days I could moose hunt during a period of many years. Less so, if I could spend much more time in the field looking for another, or even the same, moose. I think there is more at stake the rarer and more expensive the opportunity is.