Originally Posted by EZEARL
Originally Posted by las
That’s how I ended up with a 17 inch barrel also. But then I got it for $80. A new barrel would run the cost way up! 😁. First thing I killed with it was a Dall ram at about 330. Have killed caribou out to about 375. It doesn’t seem to be “ broke”!!! 😏

That's lobbing them in there. lol

Don't know if you've ever chronographed your "stub" but with the 180gr Federal Power Shok (blue box stuff) I get 2509fps at the muzzle. With 150gr CoreLokt handloads I get 2545fps. Could probably get to 2700 but hardly any advantage in it. According to Nosler 2509(180) and 2700(150) are pretty much max for a 24"bbl 300 Savage.

I have not chronied anything, ever. No need to if one knows the drops at range. Of course, one should know the range. smile

Both the sheep and caribou mentioned above, were pre range finder. With the sheep, I was broke and had just a few rounds after checking for group right after whacking the barrel - 4 inches high at 100. So i did not change scope setting. I figured that would compensate for the length - then I forgot about it ! I normally sight in 2 1/2 to 3" high at 100. I had a 3 way range estimate- eyeball, map contours, and duplex cross hairs -all agreed it was 300-350 yards. So I held high....just over hair, and put the first bullet a quarter inch above his spine. He went down, then started pulling himself along on front legs. Held for hair and put the second one 5 inches below the first one. He disappeared, and I found him a quarter mile away and 1500 feet lower. a couple fellows who were watching, and that I ran into a year later, told me he went end over end, and rolling the whole way down. When I got to him, I gave him a boost and he went another couple hundred yards, ending up 30 yards off the trail out- only about 3 miles.

I figured the caribou (I said 375- but IIRC, it was about 356 long paces across open alpine), was 300, and held for hair -sighted in 2 1/2"high at 100). Hit his brisket, sending either a piece of the bone, or bullet slashing open the heart. Found the jacket in his off-side knee (Corelokt.)

The sheep, and a moose taken at 70 yards four days later (one thru the lungs,standing broadside, the 2nd spined, running, thru a "washtub- sized hole in the brush" after he bolted) were both with 180 grain Fed Power Shock. All 4 bullets came apart virtually on impact. Very accurate ammo in my guns, but I don't use them for hunting after that. That was probably my shortest "hunting season", ever!

Most of my moose kills have used 2 shots- one to droop, and another to the back of the head from a few feet out. I scart myself......twice ...by not doing this.... smile. In thick cover, if I can get it, I use a CNS shot on moose. Saves all kinds of trouble/worry.... Still use 2 shots tho.

Last edited by las; 08/22/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.