Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
remarkable story MH. So what i'm gathering, is that bull took five shots from your 338 cal. That "one shot-one kill" bs is silly, isnt it?? I'm certain you too, have developed a heightened appreciation for what these big warrior moose are capable of handling. You ever thought of a little more bullet weight? The big warriors don't care too much about velocity. Slow that big behemoth of a cartridge down, with some more bullet weight.

Mainer, I shot him 3 times in about 3 or 4 seconds, which was the only window I had. I don't know if just the first shot would have done as well, which is possible. But, after taking the first shot, I kept shooting as fast as I could because I was more concerned about keeping him close than worrying about meat loss, which was fairly marginal, given the 900 + lbs of meat. Statistically, I have little chance of even seeing another moose that sized in the wild. I shot this bear with more weight-- a 300gr NP out of a .375 Wby. It certainly did the job immediately. I'm sure it would have worked as well or better on the moose.

[Linked Image]