Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by muygrande1
My NWT moose was DRT at the shot! Guide asked me "where did he go"!

338-06 225 gr nosler partition.

Mtn caribou same results.

Where they both CNS shots?

I've seen two moose and one caribou stand up without flinching to good lung hits with a 375Magnum. They all did die, but were not bang flops as most think should happen.

While I have seen moose stand taking more than one shot, I have had a few one-shot and real fast kills using a .338WM. One was shot with a 230-grain FS thought the lungs. On the way in the bullet clipped the arteries at the top of the heart, broke the far shoulder bone, and stopped at the hide were one of my friends found it. Another moose dropped to a 250-grain A-Frame through the lungs, and then hit the far shoulder bone. Then I have had several one shot kills (but a little slower to drop by the time the rifle chamber was reloaded)-with a 225-grain Barnes 3-Shock, and another moose with a Federal 250-grain NOS HE though the lungs. This bullet was loaded quite fast by Federal, but it's not longer produced. The moose took a short step forward after the bullet hit, and dropped on its chest. When we opened the chest cavity we noticed that the bullet had broken to pieces in the lungs, leaving behind a very small hole on the far side of the chest.

One of my friends was calling moose with a few grunts, and this moose walked in behind and unnoticed by my friend. The moose was about 20 yards away staring at him, but it was so close that he could not look though the riflescope. He shot it one time though the lungs while pointing the rifle at the moose (7mm Magnum rifle). The bullet hit, and the moose dropped right there.

But a long time ago another friend of mine shot a moose through the lungs 4 times using his .300WM, and the moose stood there, very dead but still standing 150 yards away. He reloaded his rifle, and the moose dropped before he could take another shot. I have no idea how that moose was standing for so long, since the bullets left a huge hole though the lungs and hide. We just could not believe it, but it was true.