Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Pittu,

I'm not certain 210 grain bullets would accomplish what you're trying to do, which is instantaneous anchoring of a moose. The 210 grain will act much like the 30 caliber magnums and 180 grainers, with excessive velocity, essentially turning meat to a bloodshot mess with the wrong shot. If you slow that bugger down with a 250 grainer or better yet, a Swift 275 grainer, you'll have better luck cleanly knocking out bone.

Two of the quickest kills I've had on big bull moose, was sending a 275 grain woodleigh clear through both front quarters of a 55" racked bull. Another was a head-on shot that hit the base of the neck, busted a bunch of bone, and was found stuck in the diaphragm, badly distorted. This was at 2200 fps from a 358 Winchester hand-load. That 57" racked bull dropped right in front of a fast, deep chute of white water on the Kandik River, the head and one antler fell in the deep, fast water. The fast chute of water blasted into a nasty, splintered mess of a wood-pile, filled into a cut bank. Had the moose not dropped, recovery would've been risky.

If you go back to the medium bore, rather than be choosey about your typical lung shot with the smaller 20 calibers, break clear through the front quarter bones with the bigger, heavier bullets, resulting in no blood-shot meat. I'd imagine that you'd be setting at 2400-2500 fps with the 275 grainer. Should be a clean deal. Any medium bore cartridge firing bullets at 2200-2500 fps, it's a perfect combination of range, killing power, penetration and lack of blood-shot meat.

A good 30 caliber with a 220 grain breaks out bone well too, if you go to 9:24 of this video, an old customer of mine who bought one of my boats, appears to have broken out the front end of a very large bull. You can tell the bull wanted to move forward, but simply couldn't get his front end to work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz1vwTPYa2M&list=PL_fotv96Eswd88PSfDBssW551-CqtqNQ0

a 30-06 or 308 with a 220 grain partition will very cleanly break the entire front end out of a large bear or moose. I dunno, but Nosler sure did a good job designing that 30 caliber gem.

Sorry, but bigger, slower bullets have shown far more bloodshot meat than any other combo. Broken bones make the mess a lot worse.

Give me a light for caliber mono pushed fast through the high shoulder...

I have been loading the 210 TTSX for a couple 338s for many years (including prior iterations) and it has performed beautifully.

If that’s true, post some pics of these so-called awesome bullets.
wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender