Originally Posted by pete53
I like what Ray posted on the caliber and the cartridge, my friends in Alaska like to use a 7 Rem. Mag. so when I go with them that`s what cartridge I`ll use but I still like a 26 barrel on my rifle, don`t fool yourself a longer barrel generally does have better ballistics, in a 7 caliber bullet its 26 inch barrel.

Well let's take a look at the 175gr NPT started out of a 7mm at 2800fps and zeroed at 200 yards. It will strike the 300 yard mark at approximately 7.5" below the line of sight.

Conversly, let's chop the barrel until velocity drops to 2600fps (200fps slower) and maintain that same 200 yard zero wherein the bullet will strike the 300 yard mark at approximately 9" below the line of sight.

That is a difference of 1 1/2 "

You would have to be able to shoot better than Kirsten Joy Weiss In order to discern the difference.... and something tells me you don't.

"...dont fool yourself..." into thinking a 26" barrel is going to somehow give you an advantage.

The folks that live and hunt here, and that have have offered kind and sound advice to you, believe it or not, actually DO have a clue.

T'were I you, and I'm not, I'd be putting my listening ears on.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)