-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ChetAF, that is a lot of dog love on that couch lol. Looks like they have a great life there. Great hunting pics as well.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Those who have used the GSP for waterfowl work, most all mention that when it gets icy or extremely cold it is over for big water work. Which is what I have said from the beginning. If it is warm enough, I’m sure someone out there can make the argument for their Rosie the Doxie

You see it now and then, guys who think they are tough because their Dogs are.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 30338
ChetAF, that is a lot of dog love on that couch lol. Looks like they have a great life there. Great hunting pics as well.

HA! Yeah, my Dad keeps telling me that when he dies, he wants to come back as my next hunting dog. Hunt all over the country, sleep on the couch by the fire, eat good food and a free medical plan. Nary a care!

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Have owned 3 GSP’s in past and we’re great bird dogs and loved to swim. I did some early season waterfowl hunting with them did ok. Mostly jump shooting on rivers and potholes. Yeah good luck getting a gsp to sit for hours in a duck blind. I have a WHPG now and great duck dog in addition to upland. Think gsps , pointers are a better pure upland of course but wanted a versatile breed. Breaks ice for late season retrieves , put a neoprene best on here. but not a good breed with hot weather down south. Draht s are a great versatile breed but again not a good breed in hot climates. So that brings you back to a good retrieving lab for your area. Great family dog too. imho pretty easy problem to solve. I like the smaller framed labs. Take your time and do research to find a good hunting breeder with guaranteed health certs and be prepared to travel or order one from another state. It’s worth it to spend the extra money for a quality healthy dog.

Last edited by ribka; 08/05/18.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I'm not sure where the OP got the idea that finding a good Boykin is a crapshoot, but that's false. Sure there are some bad Boykins, but odds are as good or better at finding a sound hunting dog with them as any other breed. Do your research, find a good breeder, and you will have a good dog.

The breeding pool is significantly smaller than that of most breeds, and most are hunting/trial dogs. The BSS actually states in the code of ethics that pups should be placed in hunting homes, followed by trial homes, over solely companion homes. One of the main breeding standards is to preserve the hunting capability of the breed.

The show ring and pet breeders have not watered down the gene pool, therfore breeding out the hunting traits for other crap like "pretty" ear curls. The pet breeders ruined the Golden Retriever and Irish Setter.

Unless you primarily hunt big water for divers along the coast, you will be hard pressed to find something better than a Boykin for the Carolinas, particularly if you don't want a lab. Lastly I will add, the labs are the standard but a 35 lb dog is much more pleasant to have in a tight duck blind as compared to an 80 lb dog. I have had and hunted with both.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited by CarolinaHunter; 08/07/18.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cocker Spaniel for lions? That's the trouble with people, always trying to make a dog breed do something is wasn't intended to do, much like pointing labs. Or you have the people that want some dumb azz color and you get silver and fox red labs. GSPs are not waterfowl dogs and they shed lots of fine, short, hair. Labs are waterfowl dogs and they shed plenty of medium length, coarse, hair. Pick a lab pup with a coarse coat and you'll have a lot less shedding than a lab with a more fine coat. There are two breeds of waterfowl dogs, labs and chessys. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. All dogs shed, adjust the diet and outside time and you can manage it.

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
I'm going to look at a litter of GWP a couple hours from me. The dam has her JH while the sire has a SH with one pass on a MH title. I'm sure a GSP could handle 75% of our cold weather but I dont want to spend all the time and effort to train a dog I cant hunt due to weather. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
We hunt pheasants in an area that has a few small lakes on them. Occasionally, a rooster will fly out over the water and get shot. The GSP and Vislas that my friends have supposedly retrieve birds in the water, but none have gone fast enough to beat my lab and they choose not to go when he is heading that way. My friends also complain of shedding with their dogs as well. Maybe a Labradoodle would be the way to go?

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Oakster
My friends also complain of shedding with their dogs as well. Maybe a Labradoodle would be the way to go?

We will see. We put a deposit down on a solid liver female out of the GWP litter. The Dam has a JH and the sire has a SH with one pass on a MH. The breeder/trainer is going to introduce to water, duck and quail before we get in mid-September. The parents are great hunters, including waterfowl and both come from hunting lines so the pup should have the instincts. My buddy has seen these dogs run and said they are impressive.

I just can't do a labradoodle. You'd probably go through 10 to get one good one given how watered down the breeding in both those breeds are.

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 08/13/18.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The WPG is a versatile dog that points, retrieves, and was "designed" for water work. They are by nature much like a shorthair, and they don't shed badly. As my beloved setters leave me over these last years, I replaced them with Rosie, a joy and character.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You made your choice, so best of luck. Out of the two original choices, I would have gone Boykin. The ones I've crossed paths with, most definitely outfight their weight class. It would take a Bull Springer to put a hunting blood Boykin in their place.

Last edited by battue; 08/13/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

luv2.....rosie looks like my brook.....or brookie ….what I call her most......if its not hot we will be out for sharptails sept 1st.....bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My shorthair retrieves whatever I make fall from the sky, ducks and geese included.

It just might get cold here as well...

That said, if waterfowl were my primary target with a pointing dog, I would look at a wirehaired breed.

YMMV.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carry water to douse their heads in hot weather. It sure helps the dogs.

I wish I were there for the sharptails. Save some for me for later. wink laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oakster
We hunt pheasants in an area that has a few small lakes on them. Occasionally, a rooster will fly out over the water and get shot. The GSP and Vislas that my friends have supposedly retrieve birds in the water, but none have gone fast enough to beat my lab and they choose not to go when he is heading that way. My friends also complain of shedding with their dogs as well. Maybe a Labradoodle would be the way to go?

Sounds like the typical smart GSP. Go out for a nice hunt, find some birds, and let the Lab get all wet and cold finding the ones that fall in the water. grin

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 70 invisible), 3,308 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,484
Posts18,471,837
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.