Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T Bone
Model 10 ordered! Hoping for a good one.

French law enforcement Model 10's are likely to be rough, since they have been thrown on the ground so often when surrendering. smile

Let us know how it looks.
Mine will hit the FFL tomorrow.
Not sure what to hope for.

One for each girl.
If they are decent, Mom and Dad might want one.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine are rough.
One has a dime sized rust spot behind and under the cylinder latch.
The other is worse. Both pitted.
Function seems perfect. The uglier one has a very nice D/A pull.
The beautiful grips pictured came on them. Unfortunately.

Not really disappointed. They will, do what I wanted.
But, if they had been in a store at that price, they would still be there.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Mine are rough.
One has a dime sized rust spot behind and under the cylinder latch.
The other is worse. Both pitted.
Function seems perfect. The uglier one has a very nice D/A pull.
The beautiful grips pictured came on them. Unfortunately.

Not really disappointed. They will, do what I wanted.
But, if they had been in a store at that price, they would still be there.

You could strip the finish off, re-polish, then apply some sort of quick black finish to them, without adding much at all to the price you paid.

T
T Bone Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Picked mine up this afternoon. I'm pleased. Plenty of rubs and bumps, but minimal rust and most of bluing is there.

Now to order new grips.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I can pickup damn near mint Model 10's around here for $350.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by satx78247
What I'd like to find is a Model 64 with the "pencil barrel" in 3 or 4 inch barrel.
(The 3" is HARD to find. - I think that all of them were LE contract revolvers.)

yours, tex

Like this? I picked this one up about 2 years ago. It is the first no dash (pencil barrel) Model 64 I had ever seen, that I can recall.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
What I'd like to find is a Model 64 with the "pencil barrel" in 3 or 4 inch barrel.
(The 3" is HARD to find. - I think that all of them were LE contract revolvers.)

yours, tex

Like this? I picked this one up about 2 years ago. It is the first no dash (pencil barrel) Model 64 I had ever seen, that I can recall.

[Linked Image]

Just saw ine of those today for not too bad a price.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
How much was not a too bad price?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by local_dirt

yours, tex

[Linked Image]

Just saw ine of those today for not too bad a price.
There's been one just like it in the showcase of the gun store down the street for, I believe, about $550.00. Nice guns.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

$450-550. Don't remember exact price, as I wasn't looking for a tapered barrel, although the stainless finish caused me to give it a second thought. Would really like to find a 10-5 bull barrel like Charlie's.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Got mine today, was pretty happy with it really. You can see there is some surface rust but not bad & my son is a gunsmith so we can blue it if I decide to. The hard rubber grips came on it & I was surprised, they feel really good although I've never heard of the brand & never seen anything quite like them. I may build a replacement pair but first I'll leave these on & shoot it for a while.
It locks up tight & the bore looks great. Shot 2 cylinders full just before dark & it shot just fine, but a bit low, I can fix low, can't fix inaccurate. I think this might be the second model 10 I've ever owned. Had an old Victory model back in the 60's. Question, I'm guessing they should be ok with +P loads? The load I shot tonight would be considered on the low end of +P, 5.3 grs of W231 & a 125 gr cast.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yours is nicer than both of mine.
Those grips are uniquely ugly, but I agree, they are comfortable. More so in D/A.
The rust spots are getting better on mine. A wet wiping with Hopes, and rubbing an oak
scrap on it has removed a lot. It's sitting wet with Hopes now. They will get brass wool and oil
treatment tonight.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by local_dirt

$450-550. Don't remember exact price, as I wasn't looking for a tapered barrel, although the stainless finish caused me to give it a second thought. Would really like to find a 10-5 bull barrel like Charlie's.

Difficult to find

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
Got mine today, was pretty happy with it really. You can see there is some surface rust but not bad & my son is a gunsmith so we can blue it if I decide to. The hard rubber grips came on it & I was surprised, they feel really good although I've never heard of the brand & never seen anything quite like them. I may build a replacement pair but first I'll leave these on & shoot it for a while.
It locks up tight & the bore looks great. Shot 2 cylinders full just before dark & it shot just fine, but a bit low, I can fix low, can't fix inaccurate. I think this might be the second model 10 I've ever owned. Had an old Victory model back in the 60's. Question, I'm guessing they should be ok with +P loads? The load I shot tonight would be considered on the low end of +P, 5.3 grs of W231 & a 125 gr cast.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dick

Fire away with the +P loads.

What 'dash' number is yours?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Absolutely, +P. These are all-steel guns. The whole "not for +P" thing originated with the introduction of alloy frames and/or cylinders.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
These are French LEO turn ins?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

[Linked Image]

Sweet piece.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Mine is a dash 8 & it had a serial number stamped across the left top strap, not sure if you can see it in the photo. That's the one we wrote down on the 4473 form. When I got home I noticed another serial number inside on the crane by the model number which is probably the true serial number. Guessing I better get back with my FFL guy & re-do the paper work?

Dick

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Dick,
Those grips are Trausch grips. I haven't seen them for the k frame Smiths but I have some for Ruger SP101's. They are excellent grips and were made in France for just a few models of Revolvers. The ones that I have are excellent and I'm very impressed with how they handle recoil. Mr. Trausch died in 2012 and his wife had no interest in the business so it shut down. There will be no more grips made like that, and as a result of how good they are the price has gone up for them. The few people that know of them are very impressed. On the ones that I have, they are a one piece grip that fits very tightly and held in place by a Chicago screw. Load up some serious +P 38 specials and I think you will be impressed.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Dick,
Those grips are Trausch grips. I haven't seen them for the k frame Smiths but I have some for Ruger SP101's. They are excellent grips and were made in France for just a few models of Revolvers. The ones that I have are excellent and I'm very impressed with how they handle recoil. Mr. Trausch died in 2012 and his wife had no interest in the business so it shut down. There will be no more grips made like that, and as a result of how good they are the price has gone up for them. The few people that know of them are very impressed. On the ones that I have, they are a one piece grip that fits very tightly and held in place by a Chicago screw. Load up some serious +P 38 specials and I think you will be impressed.

Interesting. So those who are getting these guns with these stocks might inadvertently be getting some rare collectable stocks.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,885 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,957
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.