Hop To
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Here's my rub with Ramsey. If everyone did as he suggests, the economy would absolutely grind to a halt.

People with some savvy and fire in their belly willing to take on some risk and leverage in order to build something are what makes this economy go and grow.

I carry no cc debt. Have a couple mortgages and a loan for a business purchase that is locked in at 3%. Other than those secured debt, I have none. No car debts, no student loans etc.

Am I in debt? Absolutely. Am I upside down with my debt? Absolutely not.

I take the opposite analogy. If you have no debt, you have more $$$ to put in circulation. That makes the economy go 'round and 'round. Been debt free for almost 20 years now and there's no substitute, IMO.

JG you’ve got a damned bad case of good sense.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Explain how a 20 year old dies a millionaire without ever assuming debt. Inheritance doesn't count.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Explain how a 20 year old dies a millionaire without ever assuming debt. Inheritance doesn't count.

Begin at age 20,paying yourself first, eschew debt, Live below your means, invest wisely and consistently in low cost instruments doing dollar cost averaging .

Worked well for me by age 48 1/2. Ymmv.

An old gent years ago told me. “Boy, you like to eat rib-eyes regular?” Yes sir. “Well,,,1st you may have to eat hot dogs “.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've heard that he preaches that a debit card is smart and a credit card is dumb. That alone is a reason to ignore him. I use the banks money for an entire month,pay for everything on it, and earn at least three "free" air tickets a year. Tell me again why I shouldn't use one?

I have listened to him for exactly about 30 seconds and he came off as a pompous azzhole and I shut him off. I don't need some blowhard douche to talk down to me. I don't owe anyone a penny in this world, and when I do, I pay them off as fast as I can, it's common sense, not a religion.

Eat moose, burn spruce
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Dave points to the debit card for limitations on folks who have little self control.

Your method follows his line to a fine point meaning you made his case for him.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[align:center][/align]Well I'm glad there are people who need to him to tell them what should be common sense to anyone with two fingers of forehead. I guess the way he spoke to people just turned me off.

Actually, part of my dislike for Ramsey is that he turned a buddy of mine into an anal retentive idiot who now keeps a monthly envelope of money for himself, his wife, and his dog. He names his dollars. He is annoying to even be around anymore.

Last edited by Pittu; 08/26/18.

Eat moose, burn spruce
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There are a bunch that you described. Last I heard on Fox Financial was that household debts exceeded the national debt.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
There are a bunch that you described. Last I heard on Fox Financial was that household debts exceeded the national debt.

Not quite, but close.....

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

The Federal GOV, like most households has a spending problem.... NOT an income problem!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Muffin, Fox financial also said the national debt was dropping due to the newly instituted tax and trade polices.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Pittu
I've heard that he preaches that a debit card is smart and a credit card is dumb. That alone is a reason to ignore him. I use the banks money for an entire month,pay for everything on it, and earn at least three "free" air tickets a year. Tell me again why I shouldn't use one?

I have listened to him for exactly about 30 seconds and he came off as a pompous azzhole and I shut him off. I don't need some blowhard douche to talk down to me. I don't owe anyone a penny in this world, and when I do, I pay them off as fast as I can, it's common sense, not a religion.

you have common sense and self control. most have neither. thats why DR preaches the strict rice and beans sermon. i keep a CC too but only for emergencies or travel, etc and pay it off immediately.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Begin at age 20,paying yourself first, eschew debt, Live below your means, invest wisely and consistently in low cost instruments doing dollar cost averaging .

An old gent years ago told me. “Boy, you like to eat rib-eyes regular?” Yes sir. “Well,,,1st you may have to eat hot dogs “.

So they can't borrow for college. Right off the bat, they're going to be making just enough to pay rent, utilities, food, clothing, cheap car, fuel, insurance. With the unbelievably low interest rates we've had the last 10 years, Ramsey's an idiot for discouraging folks from borrowing in reasonable, rational levels for a primary residence. Some idiot was bragging to me about being debt free a few weeks ago but rents a house that costs $200 more than a payment would be at current property value/interest rates. Debt free my ass if you have rent to pay.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

So they can't borrow for college. Right off the bat, they're going to be making just enough to pay rent, utilities, food, clothing, cheap car, fuel, insurance. With the unbelievably low interest rates we've had the last 10 years, Ramsey's an idiot for discouraging folks from borrowing in reasonable, rational levels for a primary residence. Some idiot was bragging to me about being debt free a few weeks ago but rents a house that costs $200 more than a payment would be at current property value/interest rates. Debt free my ass if you have rent to pay.

Paid my own way but tuitions and books costs a lot less then.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
he says a primary residence is the only time to borrow. also to save up 20% to avoid PMI, make sure your house payment only equals 25% of your take home pay and to pay it off early. all very reasonable and what i did with 2 houses.

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
and yes, you can cash flow a kids college. i did it. problem is that people want big cars, fancy houses and vacations in maui the whole time their kids are growing up. then when the kids are in high school they realize that the don't have schit to pay for college and junior wants to go to a 50k a year school. then they either hock what little equity they do have or let junior take a beating on a student loan. the parents who let their kid take out these giant fuggen loans are fugged up parents in my opinion. i have personally seen it. my daughter got her masters with 8k in loans and the rest her and my wife and i cash flowed. she paid off the 8k in about 9 months and is getting ready to pay cash for a good used car. meanwhile she has friends who have 100k in loans and a useless degree and bitch and whine about how they are going to pay for it while working a minny wage job.

My diploma is a DD214
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Since Ramsey is basing his teaching on Biblical principles I wonder how many people he is leading into the idolatry of focusing on money. That isn’t to say that what he teaches is wrong or that good money management is wrong. John Calvin said that the heart is a factory for the production of idols. The love of money being call the root of all kinds of evil one could make a quick jump. As has been noted by the obnoxiousness that these teachings create in many people I’d lay a heavy bet, not a Ramsey principle, that a lot more than one would think become obsessed with money. But in a very very “holy”way of course.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by IZH27
Since Ramsey is basing his teaching on Biblical principles I wonder how many people he is leading into the idolatry of focusing on money. That isn’t to say that what he teaches is wrong or that good money management is wrong. John Calvin said that the heart is a factory for the production of idols. The love of money being call the root of all kinds of evil one could make a quick jump. As has been noted by the obnoxiousness that these teachings create in many people I’d lay a heavy bet, not a Ramsey principle, that a lot more than one would think become obsessed with money. But in a very very “holy”way of course.

Thou shalt not covet.

Lots of folks have said lots of things about money and goods over the ages and it continues.

Remember Reverend Ike? Ole Ike said “get off yo ass, get on yo knees and pray for money . You never seen a rich man robbing a 7-11 sto ,,so gets you some money “.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pittu

The thing about Dave is that, depending on how hard someone's head is, he can be just enough of a pompous azzhole to get through and help anyone.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by IZH27

Thou shalt not covet.

Lots of folks have said lots of things about money and goods over the ages and it continues.

Remember Reverend Ike? Ole Ike said “get off yo ass, get on yo knees and pray for money . You never seen a rich man robbing a 7-11 sto ,,so gets you some money “.

Or “I luvs Jesus cause Jesus led me to Dave Ramsey”?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Compound interest. Living on less than you make. Invest $50 a week for 45 years in an index fund.

That is all. Result: $2,759,000.

Victims and snow flakes need not try this. You would have to turn in your poor-poor-pitiful-me card.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I wonder how the religion of money management sells to Christians in third world countries.

Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (16gage, 1badf350, 1moredeer, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 3,105 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,961
Posts18,519,472
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.