Hop To
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I have a couple of observations:

1. I would ask Elkslayer91 to please remove "Republic of Texas" from his handle information.....it's embarrassing.
2. I've killed one elk in my life, about 20 years ago with a 7mm Rem Mag/160 partition combo. Let me know when you boys need
a free seminar.
3. I've killed literally dozens and dozens of big game animals with a MPBR setup, once again 7mm Rem Mag and 160 partition
combo. I always found it worked quite well, this being before rangefinders and scope dialing. Gotta know your equipment.

Last edited by JGRaider; 09/04/18.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
COW ELK KILL ZONE

TOP OF BACK
1”
2”
3”
4”
5”
6” – TOP OF BOILER ROOM
7”
8” – ONE THIRD (1/3) FROM TOP OF BACK
9”
10”
11”
12” – MIDDLE OF BOILER ROOM
13”
14”
15”
16” – TWO THIRDS (2/3) FROM TOP OF BACK
17”
18” – BOTTOM OF BOILER ROOM
19”
20”
21”
22”
23”
24” – BOTTOM OF CHEST CAVITY

140 gr Partition
.434 BC
2900 fps – OP said just under 2900 fps
1800 fps min for full expansion
Sight zero: 350 yds

7,000 – minimum Elk Hunting
59 degrees F

100 - +5.1
200 – +7.1 inch
300 - +3.8
350 – 0
400 - -(5.4)
450 - -(12.4)
500 - -(21.3)

500 – 2132 fps / 1413 ft lbs

Corrected ballistics. OP stated just under 2900 fps with 140g, and “realistic” Elk hunting will start around 7,000 elev.

So…don’t laugh, 5.1” high at 100 yds with a 350 yrd zero.

So what you guys, who attempted to bust my balls, are saying is you are 100% incapable of being a true marksman, being tens of thousands of hunters for years have done what I will simply state below using the above diagram for reference without having to adjust their scopes:

A 100 yard shot would require just placing the crosshairs at the two thirds mark (1/3 up from the bottom of the belly), for a dead center boiler room DRT kill.

A 200 yard shot would require just placing the crosshairs at the BOTTOM OF BOILER ROOM, (6” FROM BOTTOM OF BELLY) for a dead center boiler room DRT kill.

A 300 yard shot would require just placing the crosshairs in the middle of the body for a dead center boiler room DRT kill.

A 400 yard shot would require just placing the crosshairs at the ONE THIRD (1/3) mark down from the TOP OF BACK for a dead center boiler room DRT kill.

A 450 yard shot would require just placing the crosshairs at the TOP OF BACK for a dead center boiler room DRT kill.

A 500 yard shot would require just placing the crosshairs HALF A BODY HEIGHT ABOVE BACK for a dead center boiler room DRT kill.

Instead, you continually obfuscated my statements with lies about shooting at a walking animal, which I never said.

Instead, you continually obfuscated my statements with lies about making a rushed shot, which I never said.

Instead, you continually obfuscated my statements with lies, and lost the debate here, because you were never able to refute the facts I posted above, knowing how to shoot a rifle at different yardages with a certain zero.

Instead, some of you posted very irresponsible hunting actions such as taking extremely high risk shots, where the animal could be wounded, with no chance of a follow-up shot, shooting through a very small opening in heavy cover. That right there is why hunters are required to wear orange…to hopefully not get shot by someone who can not see their target or what is behind it.

Then you have the one who calls them self a “guide” and talks about only seeing a part of the animal, the top half or the head, etc. Gee, if you are really a “guide”, how come your “guide” skills won’t allow you to position yourself better for a responsible humane kill shot, instead of wounding the animal where they can go for miles?

But listen, thanks for the laughs, especially from smokepole who never even answered the OP’s question the first 7 pages while building his post count on this forum to make him self look real important. Sticking his foot in his mouth while butting in, and answering posts not even addressed to him, multiple times, shows the educated people, who read, who is who, who are fakes, and who know what they are talking about. It was fun.

P.S. Just add a little sauce to the above while some of you eat crow. It’ll taste better.

The crowd is tough around here..it’s because they all know how full of [bleep] you are.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I know of what I'm talking about. I hunt a ranch ...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I have a couple of observations:

1. I would ask Elkslayer91 to please remove "Republic of Texas" from his handle information.....it's embarrassing.
2. I've killed one elk in my life, about 20 years ago with a 7mm Rem Mag/160 partition combo. Let me know when you boys need
a free seminar.
3. I've killed literally dozens and dozens of big game animals with a MPBR setup, once again 7mm Rem Mag and 160 partition
combo. I always found it worked quite well, this being before rangefinders and scope dialing. Gotta know your equipment.

JG, on your #3 I don't think anyone said an MPBR setup is bad, it's the 8" above point of aim at the distance most elk are shot that's the question.

That, and the fact that ol' elkslayer says his approach is not MPBR.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by GregW

And the 6-8" high is in the dead zone and usually non-lethal....

What is the “dead zone”?

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

What is the “dead zone”?

Guessing it’s that area where the bullet delivers a KO, but only for a 10 count..

The area where controlled expansion bullets are at their worst.

Last edited by rosco1; 09/04/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't even need to read this to say LISTEN TO BRAD AND LEARN. There is nobody on this site who is more impressive than him regarding elk hunting. NOBODY

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rosco1

What is the “dead zone”?

Guessing it’s that area where the bullet delivers a KO, but only for a 10 count..

Yep. "No man's land" is what I usually call it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
While ignoring Elkslayer91’s nonsense, and acknowledging that MPBR is a poor way to get hits....

What he’s saying for elk is no different than MPBR for deer with an 8” zone. Elk have at least a 16 inch vital zone, deer around 8 inch. I see zeroing for a 8” MPBR offered as a great way to zero all the time on this forum (and everywhere else), and if it’s ok for deer- why not elk? And if you’re going to do it, why not maximize the range just like with deer?

Some of the posters are not being intellectually honest I think.

I think planning to hit a 16" circle on anything but a barn is a bad idea, even if you are shooting a loooooong ways. I've seen a few guys aim for "elk" instead of aiming for a crease or other small spot on that elk. I have seen a miles-long tracking job in 20 below zero and 18 inches of snow from aiming at the elk. I'd never, NEVER coach anyone ever to shoot for a 16" circle on an elk. I coach to shoot for a spot, often lower than people want to hold, to get both the heart and the lungs. Elk are large, so there are a lot of vitals in there that can be hit to kill them. But elk are also tough, and I've been part of chasing a few that were hit fairly well, but not very well. It sucks, and it can be a killer for more than just the elk.

Said another way: don't be a dumbass if you plan to use MPBR. Elk don't care how big your bullets are, and hits on the edges can be WORSE than misses, regardless of what you are shooting. Shoot for a spot, and hit that spot. Don't plan for a 16" kill zone and have a trajectory that is +8" anywhere. That sort of nonsense feeds either coyotes or no one.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 09/04/18.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

What is the “dead zone”?

there is no such thing as "dead zone" or "no man's land". hunters myth

[Linked Image]

Last edited by callnum; 09/04/18.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by callnum

What is the “dead zone”?

there is no such thing as "dead zone" or "no man's land". hunters myth

Guess again callnum.

After hunting big game for 46 years now, and having another 150 hunters in camp primarily for deer, antelope, and aoudad, I've actually seen most every kind of impact imaginable. The last "no man's land" impact happened to a nice guy from Illinois who was out here hunting aoudad. He brought a 300 Weatherby, and drilled a big ram high behind the shoulder at a distance of less than 200 yards. The ram dropped like a sack of rocks, and we watched for at least a couple of minutes, then commenced giving high fives. I told him to make his way over to the ram while I watched from where he had shot. He didn't take more that 10 steps when the big ram got to his feet and scrambled off before the hunter could get another shot off. We crossed the narrow canyon, got to where the ram was laying, found a little blood, not a lot, followed along a while, and never saw the ram again.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have you beat by 4 years and just killed my 55th elk. Over 100 whitetails both archery and rifle. Add in bears, moose, antelope, lions and wolves.

The only "no mans" exists in the minds of the guy that made a piss poor shot. Shot behind the shoulder? I doubt it. High behind the shoulder generally means above the spine. Anything lower is dead. Its like a guy I work with told me about a deer he lost with his bow. Hit it "perfect" but a "little far back". The two phrases don't/can't go togerther.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
You're FOS. Keep going though, you're doing good.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You're FOS. Keep going though, you're doing good.

My guess is you are FOS but then you are a Texan so ya. Anyone that has hunted knows there is no dead zone. Put a dot on the pic I posted of your dead zone.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
The ram dropped like a sack of rocks, and we watched for at least a couple of minutes, then commenced giving high fives. I told him to make his way over to the ram while I watched from where he had shot. He didn't take more that 10 steps when the big ram got to his feet and scrambled off before the hunter could get another shot off. We crossed the narrow canyon, got to where the ram was laying, found a little blood, not a lot, followed along a while, and never saw the ram again.

I'd bet my truck that this ram in question was clipped just across the top of the back..... I've seen it done more than once on deer. My cousin did it a few years back on one of the largest deer to ever walk our farm. Got trail cam pics a few weeks later to confirm exactly what happened.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Impact was below the spine, no vitals, just meat. Seen it more than once, including wounding with archery gear. The ram ran around with an arrow hanging out of him for two weeks.

callnum, I've culled more game than you've ever shot at.

Last edited by JGRaider; 09/04/18.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C

Originally Posted by BuzzH
IMO, the average hunter would be much better off with a 150-200 yard zero as a vast majority of your best opportunities at game come at under 200 yards.
This wasn’t about “you” or the average hunters cupcake. This was about the OP’s request on performance of a bullet, and “out to 400 yards and BEYOND capability”…which is “exactly” what my postings answered.

He even posted he was practicing “550 yard” shots. Did you see that cupcake? I gave him sound advice, “with facts to back it up”, to maximize his rifle. That is what “my experience”, which you obviously do not have, allows me to pass on.

Normally, I wouldn't even respond to this kind of non-sense and arguing, but since it's my thread and you keep referencing me........here goes.....
You keep dogging everyone else's reading comprehension skills, but I've told you twice already that I was asking for advice on bullet performance past 400 yards, not how to hit my target at those ranges. With all of your expertise and experience, you still haven't answered my question. For the record, I think your method of sighting in at 350yd and aiming low at close range, where most of your shots will occur, is asinine, but you keep doing what works for you. I don't really care how another chooses to shoot or hunt.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Impact was below the spine, no vitals, just meat. Seen it more than once, including wounding with archery gear. The ram ran around with an arrow hanging out of him for two weeks.

callnum, I've culled more game than you've ever shot at.

Then it hit lung, or it wasn't just behind the shoulder. Maybe just in front of the hind legs is behind the shoulder in Texas.

what a load of crap.

Last edited by callnum; 09/04/18.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Elkslayer91,

You barely dignify a response to any of your crap.

But, I know a lot of elk hunters, very good elk hunters and I don't know a single one that would give the advice to use a 350 yard zero to a new hunter.

Further, not a single one I know ever used a 350 yard zero.

Keep up the argument scooter...you're doing awesome.

Oh, and as far as shooting elk, yeah, I don't discriminate much when I feel like killing one. With 3 tags a year, just in Wyoming, with an elk herd over objective, I see no reason to not shoot some cows and younger bulls. Harvest should be distributed across the age classes, not concentrated on mature bulls only.

Oh, and as far as shooting old bulls, I shoot those too:

This one I didn't have to use a 350 yard zero or twist turrets...held the 30 yard pin right on. IRRC, he was 9.5 years old, over 370 gross:

[Linked Image]

This one was 10.5 years old:

[Linked Image]

This one was 8.5:

[Linked Image]

These were all 5.5-7.5:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All shot on public land, DIY, not on a "ranch".

Oh, and plenty more pictures where those came from...

Last edited by BuzzH; 09/04/18.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BuzzH
Elkslayer91,

You barely dignify a response to any of your crap.

But, I know a lot of elk hunters, very good elk hunters and I don't know a single one that would give the advice to use a 350 yard zero to a new hunter.

Further, not a single one I know ever used a 350 yard zero.

Keep up the argument scooter...you're doing awesome.

Oh, and as far as shooting elk, yeah, I don't discriminate much when I feel like killing one. With 3 tags a year, just in Wyoming, with an elk herd over objective, I see no reason to not shoot some cows and younger bulls. Harvest should be distributed across the age classes, not concentrated on mature bulls only.

Oh, and as far as shooting old bulls, I shoot those too:

This one I didn't have to use a 350 yard zero or twist turrets...held the 30 yard pin right on. IRRC, he was 9.5 years old, over 370 gross:

[Linked Image]

This one was 10.5 years old:

[Linked Image]

This one was 8.5:

[Linked Image]

These were all 5.5-7.5:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All shot on public land, DIY, not on a "ranch".

Oh, and plenty more pictures where those came from...

I'd give my left pinky toe to tag along and learn from someone like you........Let me know if you ever need an extra hand.

Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 204guy, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,023
Posts18,500,462
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.