Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91

You'd be better off spending your time applying for a Walmart Greeter's position, instead of all of the time you've wasted here, being 12 years later, and you haven't learned anything. At least at Walmart, you'd have earned some money, and wouldn't be just another broke dic on the internet trying to be a big shot.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

David

GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I have a couple of observations:

1. I would ask Elkslayer91 to please remove "Republic of Texas" from his handle information.....it's embarrassing.
2. I've killed one elk in my life, about 20 years ago with a 7mm Rem Mag/160 partition combo. Let me know when you boys need
a free seminar.
3. I've killed literally dozens and dozens of big game animals with a MPBR setup, once again 7mm Rem Mag and 160 partition
combo. I always found it worked quite well, this being before rangefinders and scope dialing. Gotta know your equipment.

Here on (3), you comment about not using rangefinders and scope dialing, and then,"gotta know your equipment"

You must have a serious reading comprehension issue, because maximizing the equipment to "know what your equipment" will do was the whole purpose of what I wrote.

You should remove "W.Texas" from your handle information. You give us all a bad name. Public education obviously failed you, even years ago when it was halfway decent.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So maybe 26... +/-

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
He talks purty though, don’t he?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Canazes9

You'd be better off spending your time applying for a Walmart Greeter's position, instead of all of the time you've wasted here, being 12 years later, and you haven't learned anything. At least at Walmart, you'd have earned some money, and wouldn't be just another broke dic on the internet trying to be a big shot.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

David

Nice false narrative.

You follow your “Rules of Radicals” by Saul Alinsky, your Idol, very well.

"He is far from Stupid"

IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by rosco1

The crowd is tough around here..it’s because they all know how full of [bleep] you are.

And another who quotes the article, but obviously his intellect denies him the ability to dispute it with any factual evidence.

"He is far from Stupid"

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by smokepole
I have a couple of observations:

1. I would ask Elkslayer91 to please remove "Republic of Texas" from his handle information.....it's embarrassing.
2. I've killed one elk in my life, about 20 years ago with a 7mm Rem Mag/160 partition combo. Let me know when you boys need
a free seminar.
3. I've killed literally dozens and dozens of big game animals with a MPBR setup, once again 7mm Rem Mag and 160 partition
combo. I always found it worked quite well, this being before rangefinders and scope dialing. Gotta know your equipment.

JG, on your #3 I don't think anyone said an MPBR setup is bad, it's the 8" above point of aim at the distance most elk are shot that's the question.
And here he is again, showing everyone he can't even comprehend what was written, but he's the thread expert who can't understand aiming at the two thirds point at 200 yrds. will place the bullet POI dead center in the kill zone. Gotta make room for the expert, so he can build his post count and satisfy his narcissism.

That, and the fact that ol' elkslayer says his approach is not MPBR.
More proof he can't even understand what he reads by showing he can't differentiate between MPBR, and what I wrote, but he's an expert.

"He is far from Stupid"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ok, I’m going with 26... and I have to say to my good Texas friends, “sorry.” smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I think planning to hit a 16" circle on anything but a barn is a bad idea, even if you are shooting a loooooong ways. I've seen a few guys aim for "elk" instead of aiming for a crease or other small spot on that elk. I have seen a miles-long tracking job in 20 below zero and 18 inches of snow from aiming at the elk. I'd never, NEVER coach anyone ever to shoot for a 16" circle on an elk. I coach to shoot for a spot, often lower than people want to hold, to get both the heart and the lungs. Elk are large, so there are a lot of vitals in there that can be hit to kill them. But elk are also tough, and I've been part of chasing a few that were hit fairly well, but not very well. It sucks, and it can be a killer for more than just the elk.

Said another way: don't be a dumbass if you plan to use MPBR. Elk don't care how big your bullets are, and hits on the edges can be WORSE than misses, regardless of what you are shooting. Shoot for a spot, and hit that spot. Don't plan for a 16" kill zone and have a trajectory that is +8" anywhere. That sort of nonsense feeds either coyotes or no one.
My whole post was about the bullet hitting "dead center" kill zone. Nowhere was it stipulated to aim for the "elk".

"He is far from Stupid"

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Guess again callnum.

After hunting big game for 46 years now, and having another 150 hunters in camp primarily for deer, antelope, and aoudad, I've actually seen most every kind of impact imaginable. The last "no man's land" impact happened to a nice guy from Illinois who was out here hunting aoudad. He brought a 300 Weatherby, and drilled a big ram high behind the shoulder at a distance of less than 200 yards. The ram dropped like a sack of rocks, and we watched for at least a couple of minutes, then commenced giving high fives. I told him to make his way over to the ram while I watched from where he had shot. He didn't take more that 10 steps when the big ram got to his feet and scrambled off before the hunter could get another shot off. We crossed the narrow canyon, got to where the ram was laying, found a little blood, not a lot, followed along a while, and never saw the ram again.
So, you had a blood trail, and just gave a half azz effort to find the wounded animal. You just "followed along a while" Didn't even go back the next day if dark closed you down for the night.

LMAO...and you say I'm embarrassing Texas...LMAO

You might be an outfitter, just don't ever call yourself a guide.

"He is far from Stupid"

IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Day-umm, I sure hope I never post anything so stupid as to get these boys riled up at me! If I do, just speed-slap me and tell me to go to my room. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by country_20boy
Normally, I wouldn't even respond to this kind of non-sense and arguing, but since it's my thread and you keep referencing me........here goes.....
You keep dogging everyone else's reading comprehension skills, but I've told you twice already that I was asking for advice on bullet performance past 400 yards, not how to hit my target at those ranges. With all of your expertise and experience, you still haven't answered my question.
Wrong…I answered your question with “specific” stats: 1,800 min fps & 500 yard fps/ft.lbs. with a “proven” bullet used across several decades by many Elk hunters, but I won’t dog your reading comprehension for dogging me here. OP’s get one free pass.

For the record, I think your method of sighting in at 350yd and aiming low at close range, where most of your shots will occur, is asinine, but you keep doing what works for you.
Be sure and tell every archer who has ever placed their pin on a deer’s belly at close range, to allow for squat, you think they are asinine too.

Also, be sure and tell the military they are asinine too for teaching aiming low at 6 O’clock at the base of the black for a dead center 10 ring POI.

I don't really care how another chooses to shoot or hunt.
Being you have been a member here since 2008 with 700 posts disputes your claim, “I really don’t care”.

"He is far from Stupid"

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by BuzzH
Elkslayer91,

You barely dignify a response to any of your crap.
You’re just like every other mouth who wants to start crap on the internet, but don’t have the intellect to back their yap…fact You lose here. Game/Set/Match.

Your refusal to answer the below is the proof:
I personally use a 250 yard zero, but I'm very aware of the highest point of trajectory and where that is...and what it means on POA/POI when near that maximum trajectory height. Anything past 300, I twist turrets.
So…someone who uses a 350 yard zero, and is also “very aware of the highest point of trajectory and where that is...and what it means on POA/POI when near that maximum trajectory height” is inexperienced and their advice is crap?

Seriously cupcake…do you even realize how that statement of yours makes you a bubbling hypocrite while you attempt to bust my balls for suggesting a 350 yard zero, which is backed up with “facts”?

I see you too never answered my question on this thread as to, “What’s the difference of a 100, 200, 300, 350 yard zero?” I know why now…your “inexperience” will not allow you to.

But, I know a lot of elk hunters, very good elk hunters and I don't know a single one that would give the advice to use a 350 yard zero to a new hunter.
That’s because you’re incapable of explaining it correctly like I outlined in my last detailed post…fact

99.999% of Elk hunters aren’t “new” hunters. They’ve been hunting smaller game already…fact

Further, not a single one I know ever used a 350 yard zero.
That’s because it’s never been presented and laid out, and explained the full benefits like I have.

Read the below cupcake. I don’t have to twist a turret until ”after” 600.

7mm REM MAG
140g Nosler
.434 BC
59 F degrees
9,000 elev
3300 fps

(Mature Bull Elk kill zone 16 INCH / Body thickness 30 INCH )

100 – 3.6
200 – 5.2
300 – 2.8
350 – 0
400 - -(4.0)
450 - -(9.1)…POA ONE THIRD(1/3) body thickness below top of back
500 - -(15.6)..POA top of back for mature bull elk
550 - -(23.5)…POA just a hair above back for mature bull elk
600 - -(32.8)…POA half a body thickness above back for mature bull elk

Keep up the argument scooter...you're doing awesome.
I argued with facts. You ran to your picture file pal to avoid the debate, and refused to back your yap with any facts…FACT

All shot on public land, DIY, not on a "ranch".
Yep…I was wondering how long it’d take you to pull the DIY public land vs. private ranch. You’re easy to anticipate. Just remember cupcake, I’m self-guided, and don’t have the crutch of the rut and a bull-call in the season I hunt, whereas you do. I’ve also guided high affluent people who spend several thousands to hunt. You don’t get put in that position unless you know your chit cupcake. I could also outfit on my own lease too cupcake…have the money and the connections to plenty of high affluent people that’d jump at the occasion to hunt it.

Oh, and plenty more pictures where those came from...
Plenty of pictures, but no facts to back your yap cupcake:

I personally use a 250 yard zero, but I'm very aware of the highest point of trajectory and where that is...and what it means on POA/POI when near that maximum trajectory height. Anything past 300, I twist turrets.
So…someone who uses a 350 yard zero, and is also “very aware of the highest point of trajectory and where that is...and what it means on POA/POI when near that maximum trajectory height” is inexperienced and their advice is crap?

Seriously cupcake…do you even realize how that statement of yours makes you a bubbling hypocrite while you attempt to bust my balls for suggesting a 350 yard zero, which is backed up with “facts”?

I see you too never answered my question on this thread as to, “What’s the difference of a 100, 200, 300, 350 yard zero?” I know why now…your “inexperience” will not allow you to.

I’m done here. Made my stand with you young ones, and gave you a chance to refute my position with facts. Tried to teach you people something to give you an advantage on your hunts, and like typical fashion on the internet, people just want to fight.

I should not have let myself get dragged into this pissing match. I knew the outcome before I started. You always do when you have the facts backing you.

Stay safe guys, and I hope you all are successful in your future hunts with whatever time we have left before these Communists fully destroy the country.

P.S. BuzzH, FYI clean the blood off your trophy kills with a water bottle or snow. It makes for a much better picture. It also makes it easier for you / clients to post their kills in their home without having to listen to crap from others who don’t agree when visiting: corporate guests, family, neighbor, etc.

Last edited by ElkSlayer91; 09/05/18.

"He is far from Stupid"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
elkslayer - I've stayed out of the fray here because you were out on a very skinny limb. The guys responding to you likely have a collective 2-300 elk under their belt. They really don't need to defend their position - or listen to a Texan tell them how to kill an elk. The most salient point from all the responders relates to a bullet zero that puts a bullet on the margins of elk anatomy at ranges most elk are shot at. If you're comfortable with your system - cool. The overwhelming majority of folks here are not, me included. Apparently elk don't show up at close range for you. I'm hoping you remember to aim low when one appears at 50 feet. If not, I hope you have good tracking skills. For me, I'll keep my zero at something reasonable and dial or hold when distances get longer. I've yet to shoot an elk past 250 yards, and have shot more than a couple at less than 50 yards, one at 20 feet give or take a few inches. At those ranges, its hold on lungs, squeeze the trigger, go collect said elk.

Good luck to you.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

The crowd is tough around here..it’s because they all know how full of [bleep] you are.

And another who quotes the article, but obviously his intellect denies him the ability to dispute it with any factual evidence.

You know Mouthrunner91, a forum is kind of like life. When you run across one a$$hole, you ran across an a$$hole. When everyone you run across is an a$$hole, kinda like in this thread for you.... you're the a$$hole. You have not convinced anyone on this thread that you have a clue of what your talking about and only confirmed everyone's thought that you are, in fact, an a$$hole. Let it go....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by The_Yetti

You know Mouthrunner91, a forum is kind of like life. When you run across one a$$hole, you ran across an a$$hole. When everyone you run across is an a$$hole, kinda like in this thread for you.... you're the a$$hole. You have not convinced anyone on this thread that you have a clue of what your talking about and only confirmed everyone's thought that you are, in fact, an a$$hole. Let it go....

LOL, "everybody but me is an [bleep]," you nailed it yetti.

Mouthrunner91, there is a place where you can be both the idiot that you obviously are and the smartest guy in the room which you obviously think you are, at the same time.

In your own mind.

Now let's hear you school buzz on killing elk some more, and formidilosus on shooting, it should be hilarious.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

You have refused to quote any part of that article, which specifically detailed what I was talking about, and refute it, with written detailed facts.

Sure I did ace, you're just too ignorant to know what you were reading:

And I can guarantee you that you don't necessarily need to twist turrets to be on at 400 with a 100 yard zero.

Your entire premise is that no one has time to use turrets to adjust elevation, is it not? If you want to know a simple way to make POI intersect POA without using turrets, just let me know.

And if you want to maintain that any kind of holdover (or under) is better than a POA that's coincident with POI have at it, I'm all ears.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Okay, so you guys know that elkpooper91 loves all the attention, right?

From this point on, you’re done shaking your dicks. After this, you’re just playing with it.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What, you've never given yours an extra shake or two? grin

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by The_Yetti

DAMN! I wish I's said that. I am somewhat surprised this thread didn't turn into a mega pissing match sooner that it did. could think of a nasty comment or two against a certain individual but that would just be urinating up a rope. whistle

Many here have a hell of a lot more experience on elk that I do although I have hunted since age 11. Killed my first deer on Labor Day weekend with my Great grandfather's old M94 30-30. Didn't really get serious until age 16. Hunted almost ever year after that to this date, the only exception was when I was doing my military service. Got into hunting elk fairly late and have only taken all of 8 so far. Dunno if I'll get to go again as I turned 80 last month and the knees are gone. My outfitter got booked up early so I missed out. frown I'm hoping he gets a cancellation.

Many years ago, I read in one of Lyman's load manuals where there was a piece on sighting in 3" high at 100 yards for an MPBR. I've been doing it that way ever since and in all those years I've only lost two animals. One was because of a way too tough bullet and a blood trail that quickly petered out. The other was because my foot slipped on loose rock and totaled my right knee. My point being MPBR has worked for my probably 99.9 percent of the time for deer and the few elk I've taken. The one exception was a cow elk at a lasered 530 yards up in Area 1 in the White Mountains of Arizona. Rifle was a .300 Win. Mag. pushing a 200 gr. Speer hot core at 2900 FPS. I held just a hair over her back and dropped the bullet into a neat lung shot.

FWIW, my normal elk rifle is a .35 Whelen custom pushing the 225 gr. TSX at 2710 MV. One elk was taken with a 30-06 due to the crosshairs in the .35 became discombooberated and was flopping around.

Old Elmer Keith once said that he preferred to let every man scratch his own fleas in whatever manner he chooses.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,016
Posts18,500,347
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.