Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Elvis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For John B. and everyone else.

I'm about to fireform 50 .257 Rob AI cases and have read of the cream of wheat method. However, I can't find the stuff anywhere here in Australia. I guess it must be an American product. So, is there an alternative substance such as wheat germ or small oatmeal flakes that can be used instead?

Alternatively, I can just load some old, very tarnished 100gn Norma bullets that I have here and shoot 'em off and fireform the old fashioned way. But if I can avoid putting 50 rounds through the new barrel and the subsequent cleaning that would be good.

Thanks for all advice and suggestions in advance.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Elvis-
Have you tired this source for Cream of Wheat in Australia: http://www.usafoods.com.au/Cream-of-Wheat-2-1-2-minute-cook ?

The physical properties of your suggested substitutes differ from the recommended granular farina cereals like Malt-O-Meal and Cream of Wheat. Fine flour can cause problems when compressed in firing. Grits seems to work about as well as farina. Corn meal compresses a bit differently, probably due to its oil/fat content. CoCo Wheats are a chocolate farina that produces a different aroma when fire forming,

--Bob

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I use a light load of Bullseye with a quarter square of toilet paper tamped down on top of the powder. Has worked for 30 years with my 280AI. Much less messy.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on the Bullseye and T/P, works fine. I wouldn't mess with the Cream of Wheat.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I use a pretty good load of Bullseye and a wax or clay plug. Forget the stream of wheat or TP.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You might want to try Fiber One cereal, from General Mills. I know it really cleans me out, and might do the same for your barrel. smile

Seriously- when I was preparing cases for my .280 Imp., I just loaded up factory .280 brass with cheap Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets and a moderate load of powder. What I discovered, after loading up those fireformed cases and shooting them, is that I could not match the accuracy I had gotten with the fireforming loads! I gave up on the fireforming and just shoot normal .280 rounds through that rifle now. Giving up 100-150 fps over the Imp version is no big deal, to me. You might see similar results with your .257 AI, if you are interested.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Some use cornmeal. Check Google.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Paul39
Some use cornmeal. Check Google.

Paul

I was going to suggest cornmeal too, just make sure it's unsalted.

For eating, I much prefer grits over cream of wheat. Only reason we buy cream of wheat is for fireforming. smile

I've also used shotshell filler, the fine white stuff used in buckshot loads. It's a bit more expensive than cream of wheat, but I already had it and don't load much buckshot any more.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I use full house loads of whatever powder I’m gonna load for said cartridge.... 6ai, 6.5 ai and Whelen... works great!! I’ll be go to Hell if I’m gonna run cream of wheat or anything else down my snout.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Elvis
So, is there an alternative substance such as wheat germ or small oatmeal flakes that can be used instead?

Yes. All you need is Quaker Puffed Wheat or Rice - and a small child.

<> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGpS6LHeBC0b <>

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was going to respond "Bacon and eggs."

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I was going to respond "Bacon and eggs."

With grits, don't forget the grits. And lots of butter. smile

Now I'm hungry again and might need a second breakfast. Thanks!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This is just my experience, but I’ve found that using s false shoulder to control headspace and fireform with a decent load has always given me the most consistent results. No lost cases this way. I’ve had very inconsistent results using “cream of wheat method” or jamming the bullet. Also get some good trigger time with the fireforming loads, offhand practice or shooting groups. This has just been my experience.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Grex or polystyrene beads used in shot gun buffered loads works well. Grits, corn meal, or just toilet paper can work.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used corn meal and Bullseye.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hey Elvis

It is called semolina here in Oz. You can get it at Woolies or Coles.

FWIW I remember 40 years ago fireforming some .257 AI for a gunsmith named Heimo Petzl, by the simple expedient of going out and shooting some .257 Roberts factory loads. It seemed to work wink

Elvis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Hey Elvis
It is called semolina here in Oz. You can get it at Woolies or Coles.

Well bugger me! I know what Semolina is lol. Thanks Dan Oz.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I use a light load of Bullseye with a quarter square of toilet paper tamped down on top of the powder. Has worked for 30 years with my 280AI. Much less messy.

Worked well for me too.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What does the cream of wheat etc, do for ya in fireforming that a load of Unique out of a cast bullet manual wouldn't.... just seems like more mess to clean up in your bore....

I think you guys who fire form overthink the situation...but then who am I to question your desires?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The first rifle I ever chambered was a 257 Roberts Ackley in 2002.
I used a new piece of 257 Roberts brass as the go gauge..... mistake.
The firing pin pushes the cartridge into the chamber until the ring at the base of the chamber neck stops it. This ring digs in and thus allows the cartridge to get too far forward. When the powder goes off, the case expands, grips the chamber walls, and then gets stretched by gas pressure on the case web.

[Linked Image]

I tried about 100 ways to avoid getting that crack behind the shoulder.
I settled on 10 gr or any pistol powder, filled with cream of wheat or instant cream of wheat, and the case mouth plugged with Ivory soap. This forms a partial 40 degree shoulder on the brass, enough to stand up to the firing pin on the next load.
I sometimes put moly grease [50kpsi grease] on the case side and neck.

The other 257 Roberts rifles I chambered in 2002 got 0.004" of interference with a new piece of 257 Roberts brass as the go gauge. Those rifles have never needed any cream of wheat.

In the last month I have chambered (2) rifles in 280 Ackley; 1949 Win M70 and 1980 Savage 110.
For those rifles I used a 280AI go gauge and store bought Nosler 280AI brass.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,405
Posts18,470,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.