-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How did we kill 'em before? Interesting question.
I'm not like most of the hunters you may meet. I'm more used to a shotgun than a rifle. Ohio was a shotgun only deer state until recently. Yes, I know rifles are more accurate, but it was not an option, so you learn to do it with less. Often by using a sabot round in a rifled shotgun barrel.
Second, most of my guns are hand me down family guns, and it was customary to learn the gun as is, rather than tune it to you with parts trades, and better triggers, though I may change out a scope, I generally shoot them as my parents and grandparents did. It's kind of a legacy thing, the passing of an heirloom. I just passed a shotgun to my son that has been used now for 4 generations.
I have no aversion to high grade gear, but I've never really had much. I own an AR-15, but I'm very much at home with a minimal bow and no sights. I've never used a release.and I'm pretty sure I shoot a bow differently than you do. I never hold at full draw, as most people do.
Third, all of my outdoor activities, hunting, fishing, camping, boating, is all paid for by recycling metals and side jobs. So an eotech or aimpoint is just not gonna happen. Neither will that best quality deer rifle, and that new camo pattern. I'll make do with a tasco If that is all I've got, camo that worked just fine 20 years ago. (It still does).
Forth, I have gone primitive, to see how if I could still get meat. Spears were a waste of time. A bent sapling and a boot lace will serve as a bow long enough to kill, and I still use a slingshot to this day on small game. I get razzed here regularly for even mentioning it.
Fifth, i do not reload (yet) so i buy factory ammo and use it. It works, and the length of the blood trail is dependent upon how well i did my part. If i placed that chunk of metal where it matters, i will have meat in the freezer. As for the antlers, I've never found a good recipe. There are no mounts on my walls, just bow and gear racks at the cabin in shapes to remember certain hunts.
Sixth, I've never even owned a single piece of scentlok clothing, or activated carbon.

I must be a terrible hunter, as there are only 3 deer hearts left from last season in the freezer for tomorrow's dinner. Too bad I only got in one hunting trip last season.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice post and leaves little to be said.

In response to the OP question, the game remains the same, only the game we choose to play has changed.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
I will tell anyone my thoughts on bullets and solidly back the idea that some "premium" bullets are harder
than optimum for most of the game most of the time.

too hard, too much penetration ,etc,. .. Like those folks that carry too much (excess) money in their wallet.

Come to think of it I have carried excess scope magnification and too much gun for yrs , but so do many of
those unwashed types that don't use premium bullets.

those vain folks that wear too much cheap perfume or aftershave are the ones that really Fu*#&ing annoy me... laugh

who gets to decide what premium even means?

The long established NPs seem to be the common benchmark...

what made it a premium soft was its weight retention and controlled expansion, for deeper more reliable penetration.
Its deemed superior for certain task requirements..and has a greater range of multi task capability than some other
'lesser' designs.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mike74
Its hard to answer because "premium bullets" covers quite a range of terminal behavior. Some are perfect for a wide range of velocities and game. Some are quite violent and the "eat to the bullet hole" guys are going to hate them. Some are so hard that buffalo is about the right game size, and yet those have fans for deer. With variations like that, who gets to decide what premium even means? I'd say that some, but not most take whatever premium means to them seriously. They are few by percentage, but quite vocal. I'm no different; I will tell anyone my thoughts on bullets and solidly back the idea that some "premium" bullets are harder than optimum for most of the game most of the time.

It doesn't seem like it on a guncentric message board; but most hunters aren't even handloaders never mind died-in-the-wool gun/bullet/cartridge nuts. They are just millions of guys who buy their ordinary, cheap, simple factory loads in what seems like the appropriate weight and go hunting without a great deal of fuss. The ammunition makers have done quite a good job of producing ammo that makes most of the people happy most of the time by giving them what they need. Face it, most game isn't very big, or very tough or very far away. The farther you stray from ordinary, the more you should question what is so darn special about what you're doing. Chances are, nothing at all.

Good post.

No offense to anyone but I differ on that.
Yes factory ammo kills game for ALL those who don’t handload.

( P P here does not mean Power Point )
How many wounded game animals escape from ALL those shot with P P bullets. I have used a little factory ammo and saw the results of
P P bullets. I pulled those P P bullets and substituted good NOT premium bullets.

We will NOT EVER know the answer to that ?

It’s my opinion only but I feel to use the % of hunters who don’t reload to justify NOT getting / using / loading / the best you have available

is Just an EXCUSE.

No One Need Agree w/Me OR YMMV

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yes we did, and some still do. But, many move along with new technology. And, some use one caliber and one bullet type for all of their hunting. Using the aforementioned criteria....what’s great for elk, bear, or moose, may be a bit much for deer....but is still effective! wink memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/08/18.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used a .30-30 for years, not knowing it was "entirely inadequate".

Still use it. So far, it hasn't failed.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=horse1]Well, this’ll piss a few folks off. However, for the most part on deer at least, when I’ve decided to pull the trigger, it’s because I want thatparticular deer’s set of antlers. I really don’t care what angle the deer gives me, I just want to have enough bullet to get to the vitals, even if that means an entry through the rear quarters.[/quote

Naw that's about right....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Back in the day, I just used a state-of-the-art spear-chucker. I can't even spell it... At- something.... smile

But damn- that was a THING!

Last edited by las; 09/08/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Skatchewan
Do we go a little overboard on the need for premium bullets in non-magnum calibers?? Especially for deer sized game?

The old way of go heavy grain bullets for larger game seemed to work just fine, as long as the caliber was appropriate.

What say you?

How you do it is your business, leave me to mine own.

This, lets not find another way to divide ourselves up. That said I been shooting Remington plain Jane green box Coreloks for as long as I can recall.
For my type of hunting and ranges I do currently they do the job. Dang straight if I thought I needed or just wanted to go to something else I wouldnt hesitate. The exeption are my weatherby 270 and 300wby mags were I use weatherby ammo with partitions. But I havent hunted with those in a decade.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The Fire never fails to impress.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Its hard to answer because "premium bullets" covers quite a range of terminal behavior. Some are perfect for a wide range of velocities and game. Some are quite violent and the "eat to the bullet hole" guys are going to hate them. Some are so hard that buffalo is about the right game size, and yet those have fans for deer. With variations like that, who gets to decide what premium even means? I'd say that some, but not most take whatever premium means to them seriously. They are few by percentage, but quite vocal. I'm no different; I will tell anyone my thoughts on bullets and solidly back the idea that some "premium" bullets are harder than optimum for most of the game most of the time.

It doesn't seem like it on a guncentric message board; but most hunters aren't even handloaders never mind died-in-the-wool gun/bullet/cartridge nuts. They are just millions of guys who buy their ordinary, cheap, simple factory loads in what seems like the appropriate weight and go hunting without a great deal of fuss. The ammunition makers have done quite a good job of producing ammo that makes most of the people happy most of the time by giving them what they need. Face it, most game isn't very big, or very tough or very far away. The farther you stray from ordinary, the more you should question what is so darn special about what you're doing. Chances are, nothing at all.

Good post.

No offense to anyone but I differ on that.
Yes factory ammo kills game for ALL those who don’t handload.

( P P here does not mean Power Point )
How many wounded game animals escape from ALL those shot with P P bullets. I have used a little factory ammo and saw the results of
P P bullets. I pulled those P P bullets and substituted good NOT premium bullets.

We will NOT EVER know the answer to that ?

It’s my opinion only but I feel to use the % of hunters who don’t reload to justify NOT getting / using / loading / the best you have available

is Just an EXCUSE.

No One Need Agree w/Me OR YMMV

I've never run into the deer that I couldn't kill cleanly with a Core-Lokt or Power-Point. Some of my most lackluster results on deer came from reloading with Sierra Pro Hunters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
Back in the day, I just used a state-of-the-art spear-chucker. I can't even spell it... At- something.... smile

But damn- that was a THING!

Atlatl, short spear thower.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mike

"..I've never run into the deer that I couldn't kill cleanly with a Core-Lokt or Power-Point. Some of my most lackluster results on deer came from reloading with Sierra Pro Hunters. "

A sincere ? Do you consider S Pro Hunters a "good" bullet, surely NOT a premium bullet?

Note, I said above ----- "I pulled those P P bullets and substituted good NOT premium bullets."

For the RECORD, I've said before --- I've never shot ONE animal with a N P or other Premium bullets.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I tried then new Winchester fail safes 308 win and 150gr on a small mule deer buck, shot him 3 times each bullet went threw him with like ball ammo, he finally went down no expansion at all.

Last edited by mooshoo; 09/09/18.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

Well-said

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I do pretty well with my Browning BLR in 30/06 with Rem Core Lokt and my Marlin Guide Gun 45/70.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
When hunting with round lead balls ,I use only premium round lead balls.

And premium flints.

😁

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the response, the idea was just to spur discussion. I actually am a believer in "premium" bullets for moose and elk - having said that, I have shot two elk and two moose with "standard" bullets and only one moose with "premium" (interbonds).

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Heavy for caliber was typically because anything less sucked and you wanted at least a chunk of something to make it out the other side.

Never seen a problem with using something that works when everything is wrong, over something that only works when everything is right.

YMMV

I agree. Very well-said. But there is a mentality today that a Power-point or a core-lokt or an Interlock simply flies apart on deer.

Last edited by Skatchewan; 09/09/18.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've never run into the deer that I couldn't kill cleanly with a Core-Lokt or Power-Point.
Me neither. And you can add the generic Federal "power Shok" bullet to my list too. Course I don't shoot deer in the azz either.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 257_X_50, 28 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,191
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.