-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good chance of seeing bison near Mormon Row/Antelope flat, and moose along the Gros Ventre River

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I lived in Jackson 2015/1016 and have eaten (a lot) at the majority of the restaurants there. Trio, The Local, and Cafe Genevieve are among the best “moderately”priced restaurants. Trio is my favorite all-around restaurant. The Rusty Parrot and Snake River Grill for expensive dining.

If you want a steak, The Local is the place.

I just got back from Jackson about an hour ago... pretty Smokey yesterday, clearing off today. Leaves should be peaking late next week.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of the good places have been mentioned, but drive up north towards the park & get the view of the Grand Teton peak as you do; also stop at one of the overlooks & check out the Snake River.

Also, pretty much across from the Jackson Airport, take a good look at the Sleeping Indian bluff formation.

If the Gunbarrel Resturant is still open, it was pretty good the several times I was there; I don't care much for the Snake River Brewery............food is fair at best, & it's trendy, if you get my drift.

Cody is well worth the trip, IMO........it's more or less still what Jackson used to be.

MM

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Surprised nobody has mentioned going out to see the BarJ Wranglers, they put on a good feed & a great show! We usually make it over there once every year & they come over here every year to the county fair. You will need reservations, but they can feed a lot of people in a hurry! I agree about Cody, it's better!

Dick

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
See the Evergreen Lodge, West Yellowstone MT.

Lived there til I was 6yo. Wan't much there in 1956... Lotsa bears...

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by lvmiker
When you are in Jackson check out who has live music. We accidentally ended up in the bar at the Wort Hotel on a Tuesday or Wednesday night, what a party, I saw Sasquatch while staggering back to the hotel. There are some really good bar bands in the area, ask the locals.

Speaking of locals, when I was a kid, 60 years ago the town was Jackson Hole. What do Wyomingites call it now?

mike r

Jackson is the town that sits in the valley named Jackson Hole.

Used to ski out there back in the day. We also took snowmobiles way up to some hot spring pool where you could swim. Forgot the name, but the wife loved it.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I can't beleive I forgot about the Bar J Wranglers! Some of the funniest stuff I have ever seen, and yes they can feed a BUNCH of people in a hurry!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another thing I forgot. If you have time go around to the back of the elk refuge and see if the bighorn sheep are there. They typically are and will come right down to your vehicle.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Warning, keep your wife out of the shops around the Square. My DIL spent $2600.00 on a hat and boots. My son didn't think it was as funny as I did.

mike r

Best advise to far. Fortunately, my better half doesn't have a foot fetish.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Before moving and when we were up seeing our boys we stayed at the Ranch Inn, nice, friendly, clean and fair price for small suite with kitchenette. Sure beat the frat house they were licing in.

Breakfast: Nora’s, great grab and go breakfast burritos at DOG, coffee and bagels at Pearl Street Bagels, breakfast with the local crowd at The Virginian, The Bunnery for an all day breakfast.

Cafe Genevive anytime! Lots of good places already noted. Pizza (by the slice or whole pie) and a beer at Pinky G’s. Big Hole BBQ is best around, they also have a place over here in Victor. Sunday night “church” at the Stagecoach in Wilson. Great music. Merry Piglets: great food and killer margaritas. Dornans at entrance of GT National Park has good food and amazing view of Tetons and the Snake.

The place over in Dubois for pie is The Cowboy Cafe. We spent a fair bit of time there when our son ran a ranch nearby. Still will make a drive over for coffee and pie, and some backcountry fishing.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Get in touch when you're in town.

SRM, depending on schedules maybe we can all meet for coffee in town or at Nora’s. If I am not out chasing elk I’m willing to make the ride over the hill from the valley.

Razz
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll shout when we get in.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Razz
B
The place over in Dubois for pie is The Cowboy Cafe. We spent a fair bit of time there when our son ran a ranch nearby. Still will make a drive over for coffee and pie, and some backcountry fishing.

Gotta ask, are huckleberries in season for pie?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Think they are done by now. Others may know more.

Razz
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We made it to town. Any of you guys that are thirsty enough to come to Jackson this Thurs- Fri or next Thurs -Fri, I’m buying the brew!🍺🍺
PM me and let’s see if we can rendezvous.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dinner at The Local was great!
Million Dollar Cowboy Bar was something to experience once, but virtually all tourists (including us😉)
Did not see elk in the refuge, saw plenty of fat pronghorn .
Got in contact with Snake, trying to get up with he and Razz tomorrow.
Have my eye one The Wort and Merry Poglet.
Heading up into Grand Teton Park tomorrow.
All in all, great day.

Last edited by hatari; 09/13/18.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
+4 on driving the Beartooth Hwy/ Pass, and add the Chief Joseph Hwy also if possible.
Cooke City, Red Lodge, and Cody are good stops to connect the area.
Best time of the year to go also.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
Dinner at The Local was great!
Million Dollar Cowboy Bar was something to experience once, but virtually all tourists (including us😉)
Did not see elk in the refuge, saw plenty of fat pronghorn .
Got in contact with Snake, trying to get up with he and Razz tomorrow.
Heading up into Grand Teton Park tomorrow.
All in all, great day.

world museum of wildlife art is worth it, just north of town

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We had a large group. Really enjoyed the Gun Barrel.

If you have the time, my family still talks about getting back to Yellowstone and staying at Cody WY. Good museums, there still might be a rodeo every night, take the trolley tour of the town and learn of the history, eat at the Irma Hotel ( owned by Buffalo Bill). When we were there in 2009, there were two hotels we stayed at. The AmericInn the owner had filled the lobby with his North American and European hunting trophies. Across the parking lot he had purchased another hotel that looked like an old Super 8, but not yet renovated. It was filled with his African trophies. I see that either he really renovated or he built a new one called the Kings Inn. Everyday there was a reenacted gunfight by the Irma Hotel.

Really liked Cody.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari

Forget both and go to Cafe Genevieve.

The Wort is good for breakfast, not for dinner. Merry Piglets is mediocre. Nora's is mediocre.

Genevieve is fantastic, lunch or dinner!

To see bighorn sheep go to E. Broadway going East. It will dead-end into the Nat'l Elk Refuge road (gravel)... drive this road and you'll have a real treat.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,189
Posts18,503,386
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.