Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
In the 26 Nosler with 120's, I can't tell any difference, E-Tip vs. TTSX, regarding accuracy, terminal performance, etc.

If you push'em fast enough, they hammer game and can tear up some meat.

I think the SC study, premium vs. C&C bullets, WT's, traveling twice as far hit with harder bullets vs. softer ones, reflects performance mostly in conventional rounds at slower speeds. When you crank'em up, those bullets really perform. Slower, maybe they don't kill as quickly as softer bullets, at least on WT sized game.

I like'em. Speed kills. And those are some really accurate bullets. They do like to jump. I find it easier to find accurate loads with them than most hunting grade bullets.

DF

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I think the SC study, premium vs. C&C bullets, WT's, traveling twice as far hit with harder bullets vs. softer ones, reflects performance mostly in conventional rounds at slower speeds. When you crank'em up, those bullets really perform. Slower, maybe they don't kill as quickly as softer bullets, at least on WT sized game.

DF

Same thoughts on SC study and Barnes. But I feel like studies of these types are like trying to determine what is the most effective fly swatter.

The E-tip appear to have a deeper hollow point than Barnes and may not be as deeply scored or pre-streessed as I have seen some that didn't split into distinct petals like the "Deadliest Flower".

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by AK416

I highly recommend the 210gr Cutting Edge Raptors as they give the 9.3 some real versatility and work wonderfully on game.

I always have better luck with the flat base raptors. Do you have any 9.3 load data you'd care to share?

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have some 150 grain Nosler E-Tips I'm going to try in my 308 Win. I'm sure they will group okay, and punch a hole in a critter.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
I have some 150 grain Nosler E-Tips I'm going to try in my 308 Win. I'm sure they will group okay, and punch a hole in a critter.

I’d shoot those in my 300 WM, shoot 130’s in my ‘06/308’s

Just me. Speed kills.

DF

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Rodell

I highly recommend the 210gr Cutting Edge Raptors as they give the 9.3 some real versatility and work wonderfully on game.

I always have better luck with the flat base raptors. Do you have any 9.3 load data you'd care to share?

Not 9.3, not flat based, but Raptors in a .308. These have excellent terminal performance as well as accuracy.

Not sure if you've seen JB's 9.3 loads. I used them when I was in the 9.3 business and they work as advertised.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I very much like the E-Tips over the TTSX...

Wound channel, animal reaction, blood trail, etc....

Plus get a little BC outta the seal....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by BWalker

I use them because I want to use lead free bullets due to fear of exposing my kids to lead.

Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
BWalker, I am wondering if indeed there is a lead risk with the NBT. Can't see that being an issue since all the lead is encapsulated in the jacket and no exposed tip.

Not to be snarky, but if you fear this then you don't understand the chemistry behind it. Elemental lead like that in bullets isn't a problem, it's not going to harm your kid. The danger is in lead salts which can enter the body. Think of Sodium and Chlorine, the two elements in common salt. Add table salt to water and it's just salt water, throw elemental sodium into water and you get a violent reaction. Pure chlorine is deadly, bonded with sodium it's just table salt. In much the same way lead salts like the compounds used as drying agents in paints years ago can be harmful, but their chemical properties are totally different from elemental lead.

Some, like the state of California which has a warning for everything, will make claims that breathing minute amounts of elemental lead will harm you. It's BS, but it scares people so it gets a reaction which is what they want. Bullets containing lead aren't going to harm your kids unless shot with them, that's the bottom line. I'm a fan of Barnes TTSX and LRX bullets but it's not because they don't contain lead.

The human GI tract doesn't do a very good job digesting metalic lead into organic lead chemicals suitable for absorption. Metalic lead largely passes thru unchanged. Having said that, there may be a minute absorption, but hardly enough to be of concern.
Breathing fumes while casting bullets isn't good. People working with lead in an industrial setting have to submit to lead blood levels from time to time.

Bird digestion is different, they get lead pellets in their craw and slowly digest and absorb enough to become toxic.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by GregW

At hyper vel with the 26 Nosler, I couldn't see any difference, they both messed up stuff and were equally accurate.

What round, bullet and at what speed do you see E-Tip performance different than TTSX.

I know speed contribues a lot to making these bullets do their thing and was wondering how fast is fast enough for each one. Over a certain speed, it may not matter as much.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

I’d shoot those in my 300 WM, shoot 130’s in my ‘06/308’s

Just me. Speed kills.

DF

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try those 150's in my 300 WM. I understand how speed helps these bullets.
Have a good day.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Rodell

I will have to go back and check my data logs. Will try and do so later today...

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Here are some comparisons of the frontal area of a few 270 bullets. All fired from the same rifle. The 130 grain with all the same charge. I don't have a live test medium. So I had to set jugs of water up at 100 yards. Our little deer don't catch many bullets. Fairly controlled results though,and the differences in frontal area are varied no doubt.
[Linked Image]
Left to right is a 110 gr TTSX, 130 gr Accubond, 130 gr old school Grand Slam, and the Tipped Trophy Bonded. All the 130 gr bullets were launched via 55 gr of IMR 4350. The 110 TTSX was sitting on 57.5 gr of RL17. I don't have any e-tips to compare. Though I've considered trying them. The big rivet of the Trophy Bonded has been accused of veering off path in game. Anyone have any first hand experience with that?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

At hyper vel with the 26 Nosler, I couldn't see any difference, they both messed up stuff and were equally accurate.

What round, bullet and at what speed do you see E-Tip performance different than TTSX.

I know speed contribues a lot to making these bullets do their thing and was wondering how fast is fast enough for each one. Over a certain speed, it may not matter as much.

DF

It's in this very thread and you commented on it...grin... Start from the beginning....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

It's in this very thread and you commented on it...grin... Start from the beginning....

laugh

You saying, read before posting... shocked

What a concept... wink

Will check it out.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 150gr E Tip from my 300 Win mag has put moose down faster than any other round period. They are down before you feel the recoil. I use 75 gr H 4350 for a velocity of mach whatever. Easily the best bullet to come out of that barrel. I highly endorse the Nosler E Tip.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 7 STW
The 150gr E Tip from my 300 Win mag has put moose down faster than any other round period. They are down before you feel the recoil. I use 75 gr H 4350 for a velocity of mach whatever. Easily the best bullet to come out of that barrel. I highly endorse the Nosler E Tip.

May try that one.

Hunting buds, father and son, love the 168 TTSX out of their 30-378 and 300 RUM rifles. That bullet at those speeds is impressive.

I'm thinking the 150 E-Tip at Win Mag speeds should be pretty similar.

I think many go too heavy with those bullets. Lighter and faster are mo better, IMO.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Just checked Barnes 300 WM load data.

For their 150's, they have 75 gr. IMR 4350 at 3,300 fps and 73.9 RL-17 at 3,360 as accuracy loads.

For their 155, they have 75 H100V at 3,320.

All three of those powders aren't the most temp stable.

A 150 E-Tip at 3,300+ fps should be impressive, both at the range and on game.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just getting components together to load 150 BTs in the 300 WM now maybe I should look for some E-tips too. Speer shows R26 as the top speed load at almost 3,400 fps, if they shoot I will stop there. R16 is right in there with R17 but possibly more stable, that will be the second choice to test. https://www.speer-ammo.com/en/reloading/rifle

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
150 E-Tip pushing 3,400 should be wicked.

DF

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,201 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,820
Posts18,496,507
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.