Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I promise you that I've been smacked around plenty.

Black Shadow 300 WM -light FOR a 300.

T3X Lite SS 7mm RM - 6 oz more than my 270.

700 BDL 8mm RM - too heavy to like

****338 WM -- O G 77 tanger (red pad)**** NEVER again

700 BDL 375 H H - surprisingly pleasant.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
OHHHH! I forgot one.
Win 1300 FTWT --- 12 ga. 3" mag., 2 oz lead Turkey Load ! ! ! ! ! !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwall

Black Shadow 300 WM -light FOR a 300.

T3X Lite SS 7mm RM - 6 oz more than my 270.

700 BDL 8mm RM - too heavy to like

That's what I'm talking about.....

Last edited by battue; 09/13/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My .338WM is a MKII in a skeleton stock, 22" fluted barrel. Not sure what the weight is, but relatively light. It has a Sims Limbsaver instead of a factory pad for good reason. smile

The first really cold snap of winter makes the rest of the winter seem mild. Similarly, after shooting my Marlin 1895 with my hardcast 460g/1812fps "Rhino Blaster" loads a couple times (about 52ft-lb recoil, IIRC), all my other rifles seem tame. The scope on the .45-70 is in Warne QD rings and comes off for those loads. smile

Another fairly brutal rifle is my Browning B92 in .44 Mag. This is a lightweight rifle with a steel buttplate. Max loads are not a lot of fun in a tee-shirt.

While firing a .22 or even a light-kicking centerfire doesn't prepare you for heavier recoil, something we agree on, I do think it can help overcome flinching - especially if the rifle has the same or a similar configuration and weight. Much as i'd like to have a Ruger 77/22 for that reason (besides the fact I just like them), my MKII .223 with 40's fills the bill pretty nicely. It has the same Burris 3-9x FFII Ballistic Plex scope I use on most of my centerfires, so it looks and feels about the same as the big boys right up until the sear releases.

[Edited to add]

My Marlin 375 (.375 Winchester) sports the hard/black factory buttplate. I wouldn't call it "surprisingly pleasant", just "surprising". [End edit]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 09/13/18. Reason: edited to add

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

My .338WM is a MKII in a skeleton stock, 22" fluted barrel. Not sure what the weight is, but relatively light. It has a Sims Limbsaver instead of a factory pad for good reason. smile

The first really cold snap of winter makes the rest of the winter seem mild. Similarly, after shooting my Marlin 1895 with my hardcast 460g/1812fps "Rhino Blaster" loads a couple times (about 52ft-lb recoil, IIRC), all my other rifles seem tame. The scope on the .45-70 is in Warne QD rings and comes off for those loads. smile

Another fairly brutal rifle is my Browning B92 in .44 Mag. This is a lightweight rifle with a steel buttplate. Max loads are not a lot of fun in a tee-shirt.

While firing a .22 or even a light-kicking centerfire doesn't prepare you for heavier recoil, something we agree on, I do think it can help overcome flinching - especially if the rifle has the same or a similar configuration and weight. Much as i'd like to have a Ruger 77/22 for that reason (besides the fact I just like them), my MKII .223 with 40's fills the bill pretty nicely. It has the same Burris 3-9x FFII Ballistic Plex scope I use on most of my centerfires, so it looks and feels about the same as the big boys right up until the sear releases.

[Edited to add]

My Marlin 375 (.375 Winchester) sports the hard/black factory buttplate. I wouldn't call it "surprisingly pleasant", just "surprising". [End edit]

Many years ago, we bought a pair of 77/22’s for the same reason. Cut the stock on the wife’s 77/22, to replicate her .338 WM. I haven’t weighted it, but suspect that it may actually be heavier than her big game rifle! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

The first really cold snap of winter makes the rest of the winter seem mild. Similarly, after shooting my Marlin 1895 with my hardcast 460g/1812fps "Rhino Blaster" loads a couple times (about 52ft-lb recoil, IIRC), all my other rifles seem tame.

C H - ummm, it's a little scary that WE agree so often. whistle

Per my O G Tanger -- this was before 1990, don't know if Limbsavers were available or not. ??
I had my 8 mm RM in a BDL --- MUCH easier to shoot - more powder, 5 grain LESS bullet - HIGHER velocity. STILL have it.

I 'would' get a 338 WM in a GOOD stock if I needed it. Doubt I will need it since I have the Big 8 with partitions.

As to " surprisingly pleasant", maybe surprisingly LESS kick than anticipated is more accurate. PUSH, not KICK - to me.

Hey, Mike 74 - hear that about the 1895 ? ? My 300 & 7 RMs DON'T kick like that. grin

Last edited by jwall; 09/13/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hear it Jerry. My 1895 doesn't see those kinds of loads. It gets fed 300 Grain bullets at 1,880 fps. Not too unpleasant and plenty of thump out to 150 yards.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree on the 150 yds range.

I's just gouging ya. grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
laugh I know

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Skatchewan
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Heavy for caliber was typically because anything less sucked and you wanted at least a chunk of something to make it out the other side.

Never seen a problem with using something that works when everything is wrong, over something that only works when everything is right.

YMMV

I agree. Very well-said. But there is a mentality today that a Power-point or a core-lokt or an Interlock simply flies apart on deer.

Sometimes people travel a lot and don't wish to have 14 different loads for one rifle. I'd also suggest that better bullets have made small caliber (read less recoil) rifles better killers. I have yet to see anyone that shoots more and better as recoil increases.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
After at least 300,000 12Ga I’ve come to appreciate not wanting the subconscious mind to worry about recoil. It is the subconscious mind that jerks the trigger. Makes little difference if I’m shooting a rifle. If someone is going to pull a trigger more than a little, then most should try and keep recoil at a minimum.

It is the subconscious that needs to be comfortable with any skill activity for one to do their best.

In my first post I highlighted wood hunting for a reason, and when practicing for that kind of hunting a .22lr is near perfect and without recoil. The recoil of my Deer rifle does nothing to improve my practice or success on game. A subconscious mind that doesn’t think my head is going to take another hit does. If you get smacked around enough you will understand the why.

My 300 mag never was easier to shoot than following the summers I shot clays a fair bit.
A hundred or more 12 Guage target loads per week for a few months will toughen your shoulder up.
Are yoh one of those who crossed that threshold of shotgun flinch?
I never shot enough to get there, thank goodness.

A shooting friend has. It's a sight rifle shooters won't understand.
Tom would be standing there, swinging on a bird, his whole body jerking.
Not to avoid recoil like a rifle shooter.
But, in his attempt to force his body to pull the trigger. He wanted to. But his subconscious wouldn't allow his finger to move.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OHHHH! I forgot one.
Win 1300 FTWT --- 12 ga. 3" mag., 2 oz lead Turkey Load ! ! ! ! ! !

Worst recoil I have ever experienced was from a Rem 870 shooting a 3" turkey load while sighting in a scope from a bench! On about the third shot I involuntarily moved the butt a bit off my shoulder and touched off the shot. I saw red kicked the living snot out of me (not insubstantial fellow). Adjusted the scope and fired two more to make sure it was centered at 40 yards. The next morning when I looked at my shoulder I had about an eight inch circular bruise on my shoulder which persisted for about 3 weeks. Never made that mistake again, also put a Pachmayr recoil pad on it.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, but I have it beat back for the most part. And yes it is a strange feeling to want to hit the trigger and your forearm tightens up like a brick and your finger won't work. Never happens on Wild Birds, but will sneak up on clays. Most of the time it is visual in that either the clay has got under the gun or the brain picture is off and it knows you don't have a chance. Again the subconscious forces you to reset.

However, there are times I have gone on a short walk, tried to hit the trigger and ended up watching the clay go to the ground.

You have to live it to understand. Shoot enough and most will succumb, rifle or shotgun. Best to take steps and avoid it, but most think it won't happen to them, which is normal.

Last edited by battue; 09/13/18.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

M70 Supergrade express .458win [well aged old hard rubber] off the bench
might broaden ones perspective of nasty recoil like it did mine....

with equal weight rifles (9 lb) these are the Einstein figures

.458 win Free recoil 60 ft/lb, Recoil vel. 21 fps
.338win Free recoil 31 ft/lb Recoil vel. 15 fps

perceived or felt recoil is a different and variably subjective matter...
what can I say but....the ,458 felt convincingly 'seismic' in nature .. grin

Now If I was like Crapstick and had a few beers to start the day, it might not have
bothered me so much...

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No, all you have to do it shoot it a lot. Lean how it feels, have confidence in yourself and become comfortable with it. Shoot something even bigger before you use the .458W and it will feel like a soft caress when you return to it. shocked

(I just couldn't stop myself. I tried, but I just couldn't.) grin

Last edited by battue; 09/14/18.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
After reading Starman’s post....I thought I’d calculate our (my wife’s rifle and mine) recoil. I used Shooterscalculator.com.....which I hope is accurate. I used the weight, as it it fired from the bench....only one cartridge and no sling! memtb

Her rifle: recoil velocity - 18.02 fps....... Energy - 42.25 ft/lbs

My rifle: recoil velocity - 20.1 fps ....... Energy - 55.33 ft/lbs.

Last edited by memtb; 09/14/18.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Starman

.458 win Free recoil 60 ft/lb, Recoil vel. 21 fps
.338win Free recoil 31 ft/lb Recoil vel. 15 fps

Star

Your FT/LB figures sound reasonable to me. I used to mess with those often.

"THE" problem with the O G Tanger 338 was NOT just felt by myself. OTHERS on here 'testified' to the same.

It's more than the E figures -- stock design and RED BRICK butt pad INCREASES the "pain".
My 700 BDL 8mm R M shoots MORE powder, 5 grains less bullet, HIGHER velocity ---NO PAIN.

As I said, the BDL -aka- Rem 700 375 H H does NOT hurt like the Tanger 338 WM. I also promise you it AIN'T imagined ! !

If you AIN'T ever fired a 338 WM in a Ruger 77 (OG) Tanger, Red Pad...... you owe it to yourself to test drive it. grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by battue
No, all you have to do it shoot it a lot. Lean how it feels, have confidence in yourself and become comfortable with it. Shoot something even bigger before you use the .458W and it will feel like a soft caress when you return to it. shocked

(I just couldn't stop myself. I tried, but I just couldn't.) grin

Yep! The 460 Wbee or 600 N E will tame the 458 W ! !

Ever tried it ??

whistle

smirk. grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nope, and since I know it won’t work nor do we have Elephants or Grizzly close by, I’m not about to. I’ll just happily go on doing the majority of my Wood Deer hunting practice with a ,22lr. Has worked for years and also know that it will continue to do so.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well, I thot WE were here to at least consider new ideas from others.

The nicest thing I can say is...... Enjoy the Bliss.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 50 invisible), 1,719 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,099
Posts18,522,287
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.