Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
150 E-Tip pushing 3,400 should be wicked.

DF

Wow, you aren’t kidding about that. BC isn’t too bad on those 150 ETips either.

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
150 E-Tip pushing 3,400 should be wicked.

DF

Wow, you aren’t kidding about that. BC isn’t too bad on those 150 ETips either.

Beretz and Dirtfarmer, what type of twist does your rifles have? Mine is an old Rem. 700 BDL with a 1:10" twist. 30 years ago, I tried some 150gr bullets out of it, and they didn't group very well. Since then, I have been shooting 180+gr bullets, and they group very tightly. I tried a 165gr GMX last year, and it also shot poorly. I was just wondering what twists you have, and if they work with the 150gr variety.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Otter6
Here are some comparisons of the frontal area of a few 270 bullets. All fired from the same rifle. The 130 grain with all the same charge. I don't have a live test medium. So I had to set jugs of water up at 100 yards. Our little deer don't catch many bullets. Fairly controlled results though,and the differences in frontal area are varied no doubt.
[Linked Image]
Left to right is a 110 gr TTSX, 130 gr Accubond, 130 gr old school Grand Slam, and the Tipped Trophy Bonded. All the 130 gr bullets were launched via 55 gr of IMR 4350. The 110 TTSX was sitting on 57.5 gr of RL17. I don't have any e-tips to compare. Though I've considered trying them. The big rivet of the Trophy Bonded has been accused of veering off path in game. Anyone have any first hand experience with that?

That's good stuff Otter.

Can you reveal how many jugs each one penetrated and how much each bullet weighed afterward?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
[quote=Dirtfarmer]150 E-Tip pushing 3,400 should be wicked.

DF

I was just wondering what twists you have, and if they work with the 150gr variety.

Not who you asked but mine shoots 130s and 150s just fine with a ten twist. It could be a case of a finicky barrel but I doubt it is the twist. Try a different bullet and tweak the seating depth maybe?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tejano
Not who you asked but mine shoots 130s and 150s just fine with a ten twist. It could be a case of a finicky barrel but I doubt it is the twist. Try a different bullet and tweak the seating depth maybe?

Thanks for the info Tejano. If I recall correctly, back in 1988, I just tried one box of three different weights (150, 165, & 180) and the 180s shot the best, so I settled on those. Since then, I haven't felt the need to go smaller, but was curious if it's even possible that my rifle would shoot 150s well. Sound like, from your info, that it is, at least, a possibility. Interestingly, my DPMS 20" barreled .308 with a 1:10" twist strongly prefers 165gr-168gr bullets over anything lighter, but it's pushing them a lot slower than the 300 WM.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just remembered that the Hornady Lite ammo I shot out of it recently (which I got for my son to shoot) were 150gr SST bullets, and they made tight groups. They were only going at an average of 2,733 fps out of the barrel.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

I was just wondering what twists you have, and if they work with the 150gr variety.

Std 10 twist is all you need in a 300 WM.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

DF

Std 10 twist is all you need in a 300 WM.

DF

That’s right but I did just put an order in for an 8 Twist Krieger... got a danged pile of 180 BBCs that need a good launch!

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That’s right but I did just put an order in for an 8 Twist Krieger... got a danged pile of 180 BBCs that need a good launch!

I think you'll be pleased with the Krieger barrel. They built my 6.5-06AI from parts I supplied (stock, action, trigger) and a 1-8 fluted barrel they supplied. Last time I had it at the range splattered 5 clay pigeons on the 600 yard berm with a total of about 12 shots. I'm very pleased with the quality of that barrel. (And the other work they did.)

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've never shot a E-tip, that said, I have shot a lot of the Barnes stuff. Here's my take. I don't like TSX or X bullets smaller than 30 caliber. I have personally seen several 25 caliber and 270 caliber TSX bullet fail to expand on elk shot a fairly close range. I haven't seen a 30 or bigger fail yet.

I think the mono bullets have their place (if you hunt in CA). I was in Namibia for 2 weeks in July. My two buddies and I shot 50 head of game. All of us using 300 H&H or 300 Win mags. One buddy loaded LRXs, the other TTSXs and I loaded mostly 150 Partition Golds. I did take one box of 150 TSXs for comparison.

We recovered a few bullets. Without exception, all the Barnes shed their petals. I culled a few hartbeests with the TSX and the PG side-by-side.

There is no doubt that a Partition kills much better (read quicker) than the Barnes. All of the PG shot animals dropped within 20 yard- even a very nice blue wildebeest. The stuff shot with Barnes (except for high shoulder shots) ran quite a ways on average. I shot a kudu with one that ran 130 yards. Shot 3 warthogs from one stand using both bullets. The one shot with the TSX just stood there for like 10 seconds. Bullet was double lung but missed most of the heart. The other two were shot with the PG. They both folded with the exact same shot.

I saw 30+ animals run off with Barnes poked through them including one kudu we never did find and I saw the impact on his hide when my buddy hit it.

I won't be using monolithic bullets unless required by law or unless they are big dangerous game bullets. I did take my 458 and shot my Eland with it. I had both 450 grain TSX and 450 grain A-frames. Both are awesome bullets.

I have had really good luck with Bergers on everything I have shot and seen shot with them. Hard not to like them for any instances where you are possibly going long range. I also really like the new ELD-X bullets. They are the real deal.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great report. Thanks for sharing!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I've never shot a E-tip, that said, I have shot a lot of the Barnes stuff. Here's my take. I don't like TSX or X bullets smaller than 30 caliber. I have personally seen several 25 caliber and 270 caliber TSX bullet fail to expand on elk shot a fairly close range. I haven't seen a 30 or bigger fail yet.

I think the mono bullets have their place (if you hunt in CA). I was in Namibia for 2 weeks in July. My two buddies and I shot 50 head of game. All of us using 300 H&H or 300 Win mags. One buddy loaded LRXs, the other TTSXs and I loaded mostly 150 Partition Golds. I did take one box of 150 TSXs for comparison.

We recovered a few bullets. Without exception, all the Barnes shed their petals. I culled a few hartbeests with the TSX and the PG side-by-side.

There is no doubt that a Partition kills much better (read quicker) than the Barnes. All of the PG shot animals dropped within 20 yard- even a very nice blue wildebeest. The stuff shot with Barnes (except for high shoulder shots) ran quite a ways on average. I shot a kudu with one that ran 130 yards. Shot 3 warthogs from one stand using both bullets. The one shot with the TSX just stood there for like 10 seconds. Bullet was double lung but missed most of the heart. The other two were shot with the PG. They both folded with the exact same shot.

I saw 30+ animals run off with Barnes poked through them including one kudu we never did find and I saw the impact on his hide when my buddy hit it.

I won't be using monolithic bullets unless required by law or unless they are big dangerous game bullets. I did take my 458 and shot my Eland with it. I had both 450 grain TSX and 450 grain A-frames. Both are awesome bullets.

I have had really good luck with Bergers on everything I have shot and seen shot with them. Hard not to like them for any instances where you are possibly going long range. I also really like the new ELD-X bullets. They are the real deal.

Good post.
In my expiereance if you dont hit bone or CNS animals run longer when shot with monometal bullets. Sometimes much longer.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Good post.
In my expiereance if you dont hit bone or CNS animals run longer when shot with monometal bullets. Sometimes much longer.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jeffbird
The TTSX's have provided very consistent and effective results for the last few seasons on deer and pigs, and they now are my go to choice for a hunting bullet.
Are the E-tips as good, better, or worse than the TTSX's?
Hard to find any real first hand reports of folks using the E-tip, so thought someone here might have some reports.
Thanks.

I made a side by side comparison of Nosler's 90gr ETip versus Barnes 80gr TTSX during a cull hunt in Namibia. Rifle was a Blaser K95 chambered for the 6x62R Freres, a cartridge with almost identical performace to the 240WBY. Twist was 1:10".

I found:

-Both bullets were equally accurate
-Both killed much better at closer distances and higher impact speeds
-The ETip would expand to a broader frontal surface and my thought is that it penetrates less, produces a wider wounding channel, and is a better killer. My non conclusive thought, though.
-Of both you would just be left with a small shank if you hit the humerous of blue wildebeest, oryx or red hartebeest.
-None would stop in a Springbuck regardless the point of impact, angle, and distance.

Here is a picture taken from above where the wider frontal surface of the ETip (one at the right) is quite obvious.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Chamois thanks what I have suspected but it is so infrequent to catch a bullet of either type it is hard to compare them. I also think the ones you do catch are biased towards the ones that expanded more but couldn't prove this.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does anyone know if Brian Litz has B.C. numbers for the 0.224 55gr Nosler E-tip and Barnes TTSX? Nosler claims quite a bit better B.C. than the Barnes (0.305 vs 0.272) and they are on sale at SPS right now.

I'm just curious if the manufacturers numbers hold up to reality.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (338rcm, 160user, 300_savage, 44mc, 470Evans, 35, 12 invisible), 1,909 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,494
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.