Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by overmax
I was told Nightforce will offer illumination in the 3-10 SHV in 2019. The illumination will replace the parallax adjustment. It is supposed to offered with the forceplex and MOAR reticle.

That is good news. Although I kinda figured they would come out with illumination shorty after i made my purchases...

Any word on price?

Last edited by Lonny; 09/14/18.
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I was told the same price, I guess because they eliminated the adjustable parallax they are able to keep the same price point. I don’t think illumination would be as necessary on the Forceplex but could definitely see it being useful with the MOAR, and a deal maker also.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’d rather keep the parallax, skip illumination, and just tweak the reticle a tiny bit.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by prm
I’d rather keep the parallax, skip illumination, and just tweak the reticle a tiny bit.

Me too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
The 3-10x42 SHV isn't available with illumination.

That's unfortunate. Perhaps it will be in the near future.

For not much more money you can get one of the Steiner Nighthunter Xtremes 2-10x50 from Doug. Great scope with an illuminated plex.

I'm not familiar with the latest Steiner products but is this scope really in the same league with Nighforce?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
The 3-10x42 SHV isn't available with illumination.

That's unfortunate. Perhaps it will be in the near future.

For not much more money you can get one of the Steiner Nighthunter Xtremes 2-10x50 from Doug. Great scope with an illuminated plex.

I'm not familiar with the latest Steiner products but is this scope really in the same league with Nighforce?

The SHV is an okay scope. It's a good value for <$800 bucks. It is not in the same league as the Nightforce NXS series.

For a set and forget scope, in my opinion, the Swarovski Z3 has better glass and weighs less. Never had an issue with any of my Z3s.

I would take my Nighthunter Xtreme 7 days a week and twice on Sunday over the SHV. Again, the SHV is a good value, but seems to me to be hyped up by forum members.

If you are going to dial, the Athlon Ares BTR, at about the same price point, is a better choice. Glass is equal to the SHV, FFP, zero stop and higher magnification.

To go a step further, again, just my opinion, the best buy and value in a scope right now under $800 is the Bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18X44 being sold by GAP.

I'd be curious to hear Mule Deer's opinion. He rated the Nighthunter an 8 on his line chart and likes the SHV too.

Optics preference is certainly subjective and it does seem everybody's eyes are different.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Have you used the SHV?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Have you used the SHV?

Yes. Even managed to shoot a buck with one last year. smile

Every scope I mentioned I either own, or have owned, and some in multiples.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As we can see, one cannot make everyone happy.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
As we can see, one cannot make everyone happy.

We can all agree on that......

Everybody has their preferences. I prefer no parallax setting on a scope that only goes to 10x....I'd much rather have illumination on it.....but I'd prefer bolder outer posts on the Forceplex to illumination (which I'd have no objection to in addition).

....and how about adding a zero stopped elevation turret to the 3-10 SHV.

...and how about adding the Illuminated Forceplex to the NXS 2.5-10....of course, making the outer posts heavier as well.

...and how about adding.......

It can go on forever....

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

The SHV is an okay scope. It's a good value for <$800 bucks. It is not in the same league as the Nightforce NXS series.

For a set and forget scope, in my opinion, the Swarovski Z3 has better glass and weighs less. Never had an issue with any of my Z3s.

I would take my Nighthunter Xtreme 7 days a week and twice on Sunday over the SHV. Again, the SHV is a good value, but seems to me to be hyped up by forum members.

If you are going to dial, the Athlon Ares BTR, at about the same price point, is a better choice. Glass is equal to the SHV, FFP, zero stop and higher magnification.

To go a step further, again, just my opinion, the best buy and value in a scope right now under $800 is the Bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18X44 being sold by GAP.

I'd be curious to hear Mule Deer's opinion. He rated the Nighthunter an 8 on his line chart and likes the SHV too.

Optics preference is certainly subjective and it does seem everybody's eyes are different.

None of those scope you mentioned is even remotely close in reliability, durability, and correct function to the SHV. “Glass” is the most over hyped, over talked, over spent, least needed, least important, least used, piece of the scope puzzle.

One can not like them, however as aiming devices SHV’s are only bested by NXS/ATACR’s.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m starting to like the S&B Klassik 3-12x42 Precisión Hunter with P3 reticle. The BDC dial has 3.2 mils of elevation and has consistently returned to zero every time I’ve “run” it up and down. 3.2 mils gets me out to 600 yards which is more than I’m going to shoot at game.
At 21 oz with scope covers, it’s a lot to like. I really wish they made a PMII 3-12x42 like it.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

None of those scope you mentioned is even remotely close in reliability, durability, and correct function to the SHV. “Glass” is the most over hyped, over talked, over spent, least needed, least important, least used, piece of the scope puzzle.

One can not like them, however as aiming devices SHV’s are only bested by NXS/ATACR’s.

I wasn't speaking strictly in terms of "glass." I already mentioned some of the other features. Durability is over hyped too. The pendulum has swung far the other way where posters speak strictly in terms of durability. No one on this forum is an "operator." We aren't using scopes to pound tent stakes, nor will ever need a scope to function after taking a direct hit. Most of the audience here are simply hunters and shooters.

You have way more experience behind scopes than me, for sure. And were I back in uniform and if my life depended on it, the choices may be different. But for a hobbyist shooter, and that ~$800 price point we are speaking of, those scopes will get the job done.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I wasn't speaking strictly in terms of "glass." I already mentioned some of the other features. Durability is over hyped too. The pendulum has swung far the other way where posters speak strictly in terms of durability. No one on this forum is an "operator." We aren't using scopes to pound tent stakes, nor will ever need a scope to function after taking a direct hit. Most of the audience here are simply hunters and shooters.

You have way more experience behind scopes than me, for sure. And were I back in uniform and if my life depended on it, the choices may be different. But for a hobbyist shooter, and that ~$800 price point we are speaking of, those scopes will get the job done.

I beg to differ. I've had enough scopes go wonky on me, as a "simple hunter and shooter" that I value mechanical function and durability over all else in my scope choices. My days of worrying about my scope holding zero or tracking correctly are nearly eliminated.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
exactly right, Jordan.

Have mentioned this before, but I've had 19 brands of scopes go wonky on my rifles, from sheer shooting. That's brands, not individual scopes. These days I only use scopes I KNOW are reliable, and the more the rifle they're on recoils, the more I rely on well-proven scopes.

Have wasted far too much time and ammunition on scopes that have gone bat-crazy on rifles, especially in the past decade. When I have to test a rifle for a magazine deadline, so don't have time to dink around with sloppy adjustments, much less the possibility of the scope failing during the tests. While I don't use Nightforce exclusively, I'm sure they'll work, especially if the testing will involve considerably shooting on a harder-recoiling rifle.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
On average, us typical hunters likely stress a rifle/scope less frequently. But it’s not zero. On the rare occasion something happens like a fall, it’s nice to think you’ve tilted the odds in your favor with good equip. That doesn’t even speak to functionality. I spent a lot of ammo chasing what turned out to be a wonky scope. I’d rather not do that again. Two others had a piece hanging loose, no troubleshooting required. I’m a fan of the SHV.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Form,

I thought you liked the Bushnell LRHS. You don’t think they are close to a Nightforce?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I went to the range today, my .308 with the new SHV was among the ones I took.

Another rifle had a Superchicken.

Though I did not do an extensive and exhaustive test, I found out enough about these two scopes to cause the "warm and fuzzies" to persist.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Great point.

A scope if primarily an aiming device. That's it's first and most important role.

Glass is nice, but IMO, secondary to #1.

Other than being a tad heavy, I find no fault with the SHV or the Forceplex reticle.

DF

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
...The pendulum has swung far the other way where posters speak strictly in terms of durability. No one on this forum is an "operator." We aren't using scopes to pound tent stakes, nor will ever need a scope to function after taking a direct hit. Most of the audience here are simply hunters and shooters...

I believe that is an incorrect statement.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 308xray, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 28 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,457
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.