O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by add
[quote=add][quote=Birdwatcher]So the bear dragged the other guy 400 yards? Or he made it that far after the bear left off mauling him?

I take it this was bow season, could those guy have legally brung a rifle or shotgun with them?

Young father of five, seems like a standup guy. What a tragedy!

Which could probably could have been avoided had he been better at his job.

Billy badazz right here...

^ ^

Dumass right there...

Great rebuttal schit for brains. Go fu
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
So the bear dragged the other guy 400 yards? Or he made it that far after the bear left off mauling him?

I take it this was bow season, could those guy have legally brung a rifle or shotgun with them?

Show some quiet respect .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
why in the hell would he throw the damn gun instead of using it.... dumb ass.

Remember this is a news reporter trying to explain what happened.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by add
[quote=add][quote=Birdwatcher]So the bear dragged the other guy 400 yards? Or he made it that far after the bear left off mauling him?

Billy badazz right here...

^ ^

Dumass right there...

Great rebuttal schit for brains. Go fu
Originally Posted by add
So the bear dragged the other guy 400 yards? Or he made it that far after the bear left off mauling him?

Show some quiet respect .

So, based on the info offered in this thread,

Hiding the facts is respectful?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There's an old saying '' there's a time and a place for everything '' if you think this is the time - carry on .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wasn't there, but it reads to me like an idiot client got the guide killed.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Why wasn't the guide carrying his own large caliber handgun??

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Prayers sent.

This is exactly why the bear huggers do what they do. They want human interactions that dissuade anyone from using the land. Especially hunters.

why would hunters quit using the land?......if someone is scared about bears, then they should stay out......bob

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Damn shame! Could they legally carry a firearm to retrieve the elk? Seems like a tragedy waiting to happen if you have to go about unarmed in bear country.

We were in that same area last fall. A guide and his hunter were dressing an elk when a griz jumped them. One of the hunters pulled a pistol and shot the bear a couple times. Deterred it and it ran into some brush. F&G officers couldn’t find the bear but did find a lot of blood.

All I was carrying was my Model 60 with hard cast 180 gr. But I felt a Hell of a lot better about having that than I would’ve about some pepper spray.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by erickg
Pard who is a guide in WY underwent surgery #8 this week since being attacked by a grizz last season while dressing his clients elk. Pretty much an identical scenario, those bears aren’t stupid and know where to find an easy meal. Point being when you put an animal down in bear country and set out to field dress it, someone needs to be standing guard attentively with a rifle. My pard was rushed and set upon in a flash, the fuggers are fast.

Google Jonathan Sheets, newspapers out of Cody did multiple stories, some interesting reading.

right.....in grizzly country, if 2 people... 1 stands guard...….bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by LouisB
If these all pan out to be grizzly attacks, people need to send cards/ or victims pictures if they have them to the judge, lawyer and board for the bear protection group every holiday and then be sure to send them on on the birthday of all attacked by grizzlies and be sure to include pictures. STOP as soon as they take legal action to stop it.

Yes, grizzles should have no part in the wilderness.

unbelievable isn't ……...bob

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by add

probably right.....bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Grizzly Bears are the only thing I fear in the woods of North America.

Unless you've seen what they are capable of, you simply cannot understand.

Proud NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by LouisB
If these all pan out to be grizzly attacks, people need to send cards/ or victims pictures if they have them to the judge, lawyer and board for the bear protection group every holiday and then be sure to send them on on the birthday of all attacked by grizzlies and be sure to include pictures. STOP as soon as they take legal action to stop it.

Judges/treehugging hippies think the man being killed is funny - their mentality is ''well he was out there killing stuff - he deserved it'' . The lefty disney pukes view of the world is very twisted .

Rest in peace Mark Uptain ...

and if it was a tree hugger....a lot of people would be cheering......saying they weren't aware of their surroundings......etc...….bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Bird, I don't know if thier laws allow for it or not. I haven't researched it to find out. I do know my local law forbids me from doing so. Ohio has a "no second weapon allowed " rule during deer season. Makes no sense to me, and I'm trying to get it revoked. Only exception is a CCW, which can not be used for any hunting purpose. I most assuredly would have drawn it in defense. But no one without a CCW can carry while hunting, here.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Wow, we are Headed to Jackson at the end of the month to do some hiking. The Glock will be on my chest not in my pack. I hope my wife doesn't hear about this.

mike r

There’s a lot right about this ^^^^ when hunting, too... It’s not always practical to carry a rifle during a pack out with meat; even a short barreled guide gun can make it an epic PITA. But, carrying a stout caliber pistol or revolver IMO is part and partial when you are smelling like a grocery store to big tooth & clawed predators...Prayers to the guides family and hunter in recovery. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bad deal, a pistol is a bad idea in a pack......

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spent almost a month on Kodiak Island this last spring. Not in town but in spike camps. I seen many brown bears everyday. Some of them very close.

I seen so many that they get to be almost normal. Though I never got complicit. Everywhere I went I had my 375, 44 and a keen awareness of my surroundings. They are massive and powerful animals.

Being around a day old kill is far more dangerous than being around a sow with cubs in my opinion. They had to have known that it was a dicey scenario going in on a day old kill. Bears can smell for miles. Basically, it’s how they do just about everything.

Damn shame.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What a tragedy.

Folks, I do not blame any of the posters for their thoughts on this, as we all wonder what might have been done to avoid the terrible results. Personally, we all are shocked, so I give them some slack.

I have been in a couple of dangerous situations myself, but involving cape buffalo and a leopard in Africa, and maybe others I didn't even know about there. Believe me, in grizzly country I wouldn't take a chance, especially with meat on the ground!

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I know nothing about grizzly bears however if you were in this area would you not have had a large bore pistol on your belt? I don't understand the throwing the pistol either, I would like to think I would have fired the pistol at the bear instead of throwing it to the man being killed if I read it correctly. I don't think I would want a 10mm in this case based on the black bear that took 14 or so 10mm rounds and still chewed the guy up pretty bad. I don't know what he had for cartridges though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No one wants to hear stories like this. We all need to remind ourselves that things can go south real quick. Does not matter if your fishing offshore or hunting the back country. Your not in trouble till you are. Praying for all involved. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Page 4 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 6 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,287
Posts18,505,178
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.