Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 39 40
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I know nothing about grizzly bears however if you were in this area would you not have had a large bore pistol on your belt? I don't understand the throwing the pistol either, I would like to think I would have fired the pistol at the bear instead of throwing it to the man being killed if I read it correctly. I don't think I would want a 10mm in this case based on the black bear that took 14 or so 10mm rounds and still chewed the guy up pretty bad. I don't know what he had for cartridges though.

I hope this never really happened(throwing the pistol at the guide).

The fact the "hunter" left Jackson before the guides body was found speaks spades of his character, fleeing from the scene OMG.

I guess this Monday he will go back to work and tell his co-workers what a harrowing bowhunt he had and how his guide was killed by a Grizzly(s). Probably post this on Facebook. Our society is sure producing some outstanding humans.

Prayers sent for his family and 5 kids.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RAS
I spent almost a month on Kodiak Island this last spring. Not in town but in spike camps. I seen many brown bears everyday. Some of them very close.

I seen so many that they get to be almost normal. Though I never got complicit. Everywhere I went I had my 375, 44 and a keen awareness of my surroundings. They are massive and powerful animals.

Being around a day old kill is far more dangerous than being around a sow with cubs in my opinion. They had to have known that it was a dicey scenario going in on a day old kill. Bears can smell for miles. Basically, it’s how they do just about everything.

Damn shame.

You mean you never participated in a bear mauling alongside a bear? Well, I'm happy to hear that.

Could you have meant complacent?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I don't think I would want a 10mm in this case based on the black bear that took 14 or so 10mm rounds and still chewed the guy up pretty bad. I don't know what he had for cartridges though.
Could you provide a link to this. I've never heard this story before.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The thought of being eaten by a bear or shark isn't near as terrifying as all the inevitable "What a dumb ass" comments that will spawn across the country immediately after my death.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RAS
I spent almost a month on Kodiak Island this last spring. Not in town but in spike camps. I seen many brown bears everyday. Some of them very close.

I seen so many that they get to be almost normal. Though I never got complicit. Everywhere I went I had my 375, 44 and a keen awareness of my surroundings. They are massive and powerful animals.

Being around a day old kill is far more dangerous than being around a sow with cubs in my opinion. They had to have known that it was a dicey scenario going in on a day old kill. Bears can smell for miles. Basically, it’s how they do just about everything.

Damn shame.

You mean you never participated in a bear mauling along side a bear? Well, I'm happy to hear that.

Could you have meant complacent?

Ya he also meant "saw" not "seen"....

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 09/16/18.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love all the armchair quarterbacking based on a sketchy report, full of holes and missing information.

They could have done everything "perfectly" and had the same outcome. Grizzlies are unpredictable. A human being is dead.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Ya he also meant "saw" not "seen"....

That's way too picky.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I can't believe anybody would admit to this....geeze, what an ass...

Chubon was able to run to his pack a few yards away and retrieve a pistol but was unable to safely fire a shot at the bear that had pounced upon Uptain. The attacking bear then spun, charged Chubon, grabbed his foot and dragged him to the ground. He sustained injuries to his leg, chest, and arm, but was able to throw the gun to Uptain and get loose before running from the scene to phone for help.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Brad
I love all the armchair quarterbacking based on a sketchy report, full of holes and missing information.

KInd of what I was thinking. WIthout having been there and seen what happened, it's hard to second-guess. Or should be.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Brad

KInd of what I was thinking. WIthout having been there and seen what happened, it's hard to second-guess. Or should be.

Yeah, a video would be nice, but the fact remains that at one time, the hunter/client had a handgun and ended up throwing it towards somebody that was probably already incapable of using it...it ain't hard at all to figure out....guide is dead and the hunter/client ran for help....

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
.......the fact remains that at one time, the hunter/client had a handgun and ended up throwing it towards somebody that was probably already incapable of using it...

Listen to what you're saying. You start out with "the fact remains" and you end up with "probably incapable of using it."

You have no idea whether the guide was incapable of using it, hell, he may have even asked the hunter to toss it to him. Shooting a bear while it's on top of a guy would seem to be a dicey proposition, have you ever done it?

The fact remains, you weren't there and you're guessing.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
.......the fact remains that at one time, the hunter/client had a handgun and ended up throwing it towards somebody that was probably already incapable of using it...

Listen to what you're saying. You start out with "the fact remains" and you end up with "probably incapable of using it."

You have no idea whether the guide was incapable of using it, hell, he may have even asked the hunter to toss it to him. Shooting a bear while it's on top of a guy would seem to be a dicey proposition, have you ever done it?

Guide is dead.....client ran for help....figure it out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too many people are conditioned to "go call for help" instead of dealing with the immediate problem on their own. In the backcountry there is no immediate help. Help is many hours away. You are "help." The emergency in this case was immediate and needed to be dealt with inside of several seconds, not hours.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Guide is dead.....client ran for help....figure it out.

No, you figure it out, and make sure to give everyone your opinion on what happened and why. I don't play that game, not having been in that situation myself.

How about you, how many times have you been attacked by a grizzly bear? How did you handle it?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
So the bear dragged the other guy 400 yards? Or he made it that far after the bear left off mauling him?

I take it this was bow season, could those guy have legally brung a rifle or shotgun with them?

Young father of five, seems like a standup guy. What a tragedy!

Which could probably could have been avoided had he been better at his job.

Billy badazz right here...

^ ^

Dumass right there...

Great rebuttal schit for brains. Go [bleep] yourself, the man is dead for phuc sake.

You werent there, so you have no way of knowing what he as a guide did or didn't do. Or were you?

For we all know, the Guide did most things right and something out of his control (or someone) altered the outcome in a worse way. He had to dress the damn elk. Maybe he didn’t know he his six wasn’t being covered. Was he supposed to hold a knife , a gun and watch his back and dress the elk?

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 09/16/18.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
Too many people are conditioned to "go call for help" instead of dealing with the immediate problem on their own. In the backcountry there is no immediate help. Help is many hours away. You are "help." The emergency in this case was immediate and needed to be dealt with inside of several seconds, not hours.

This. Going for help in this context was a cop out for losing nerve, i.e., going with the flight reflex at the sight of dread and imminent danger.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

This. Going for help in this context was a cop out for losing nerve, i.e., going with the flight reflex at the sight of dread and imminent danger.

How about you, how many time have you been attacked by a grizzly and how did you handle it?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

How about you, how many time have you been attacked by a grizzly and how did you handle it?

Where did I say I was immune to the flight reflex? It's a thing. One can only hope one will do the right thing when his test comes. Best way to prepare is to understand that the flight reflex is a thing and to be prepared to not allow it to rule your action.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Worked a gun/bow shop.
Some bowhunters wanted handguns for backup in bear country.
Most were NOT gun people.

Peace of mind and actually being able to shoot it.................two different things.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hookeye
Worked a gun/bow shop.
Some bowhunters wanted handguns for backup in bear country.
Most were NOT gun people.

Peace of mind and actually being able to shoot it.................two different things.

Sounds like the gun was in his backpack, since he had to go get it.

Page 5 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (blackhawk44, Big1bud, BALLISTIK, 5sdad, Biffmalibu, 13 invisible), 1,451 guests, and 792 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,871
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.