Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I think as a whole, those interested, are more educated on what is currently considered the most reliable optics than in the past. Therefore it has become a common discussion.

I have scopes from $100 - $1000, with any of them if I can see an animal with my naked eye I can see it thru my scope. Sure some glass is better but when I cant see with my naked eye its time to go home.

I think riflescopes and or scope mounts have been the most common weakest link in not being successful in hunting or shooting. Now we have more choices. I prefer the weakest link to be me and not my equipment.

I will continue to use cheap scopes for some applications, but for simply hunting big game I will use what I believe is the most reliable scope with the best glass I can afford. If said scope can drive stakes that's even better. If its an issue that it weighs 10 oz more, I wont eat breakfast that morning.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by overmax
I was told Nightforce will offer illumination in the 3-10 SHV in 2019. The illumination will replace the parallax adjustment. It is supposed to offered with the forceplex and MOAR reticle.

Never understood why NF didn't offer it initially (have it on the 56mm version).
I'll definitely break out the wallet next year for one... or more.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The other factor I may have mentioned before is there's FAR less difference in riflescope optics than 20-25 years ago, when so many hunters obsessed over bright optics. The top end hasn't changed, at least from what I can tell through night-testing on my optics chart, with the very brightest scopes, since none have ever rated more than an 8 on the chart.

But for many years only a very few scopes rated an 8, and they all came from Europe and cost over $1000. Now far more scopes rate 8, and some cost under $1000.

In the meantime the vast majority of scopes costing around $500 will rate a 7, which was noticeably above average 20 years ago, and some costing in the $200 to $300 range rate a 7 as well. This is far brighter than the average non-European scope of 20-25 years ago, and brighter than some high-priced Euro-scopes back then.

All the Nightforce scopes I've tested in recent years have rated a 7+, as close to an 8 as possible on the scale. In hunting, there's no practical difference, and the reticle itself will make FAR more difference in aiming ability than that slight amount of optical brightness.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by overmax
I think riflescopes and or scope mounts have been the most common weakest link in not being successful in hunting or shooting......I prefer the weakest link to be me and not my equipment.

+1, well said.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Nightforce makes the SHV 3-10 with illumination (German #4 I think), it is not available in the North American market! Why isn't it? Beats the fugg out of me!

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

None of those scope you mentioned is even remotely close in reliability, durability, and correct function to the SHV. “Glass” is the most over hyped, over talked, over spent, least needed, least important, least used, piece of the scope puzzle.

One can not like them, however as aiming devices SHV’s are only bested by NXS/ATACR’s.

I wasn't speaking strictly in terms of "glass." I already mentioned some of the other features. Durability is over hyped too. The pendulum has swung far the other way where posters speak strictly in terms of durability. No one on this forum is an "operator." We aren't using scopes to pound tent stakes, nor will ever need a scope to function after taking a direct hit. Most of the audience here are simply hunters and shooters.

You have way more experience behind scopes than me, for sure. And were I back in uniform and if my life depended on it, the choices may be different. But for a hobbyist shooter, and that ~$800 price point we are speaking of, those scopes will get the job done.

Skeen,

Form is trying to help everyone, whether they are open to it is a different problem. If the buck of a lifetime walks out, the scope needs to work correctly right then, not after a trip back to customer service. I recently purchased a barely used MRC 308, not exactly a hard recoiling rifle. It came with a Pentax scope on it, which I decided to try. It broke on the first range trip with under 30 rounds of cream puff loads with 130's I was working up for my wife. The first few groups were fine, typical ladder test group sizes. Then they started opening up with erractic placement. Same with a Zeiss that came on a lightly used 308 last year. It did not work correctly right from the beginning. The glass was fantastic, the groups looked like a shotgun spraying the target. Stuck a NXS Compact up top, and the photo below was the very first three shot group.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sako76
Nightforce makes the SHV 3-10 with illumination (German #4 I think), it is not available in the North American market! Why isn't it? Beats the fugg out of me!

NF is arrogant and knows what you need and do not need. They make an outstanding product but have their heads up their ass in other ways. In addition they piss me off in that they will not sell the 1-8 with capped elevation and windage to ordinary mortals, its too good for us and can only be sold to LEO's and mil. Why do I need to dial a damn 8 power scope with no side focus parallax correction???

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Better to be pissed off, than pissed on......

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Better to be pissed off, than pissed on......

laugh

Now, that's a quotable... smile

DF

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by herschel34

Form,

I thought you liked the Bushnell LRHS. You don’t think they are close to a Nightforce?

The original LRHS’s were really good. Bushnell let go of several key people that were responsible for the HDMR and LRHS lines, kind of losing what had made their tactical division what it was. Since then, while generally very reliable, there have been more problems from them. More in the last two years than all from the beginning until then in fact.

Regardless, what no one matches NF on is pre shipment checks. No one else checks every single scope for correct functioning, and POI shifts before the ship. So to that, regardless of how well something is built, it will have more failures than a NF.

A long way of saying, that while the LRHS are generally good scopes and I use them, no they are not NF reliable.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 3-10 is coming with an illuminated duplex. I’ve already ordered them.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
shortactionsmoker

Sweet, when might they be in stock?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Great!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ordered with whom?

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Does it weight even more then?

Any other new options you can share?

Last edited by prm; 09/16/18.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by prm

Nothing big. I’ll probably get in trouble with them for even mentioning this!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Darrik,

Well done!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm

Nothing big. I’ll probably get in trouble with them for even mentioning this!

I think you're safe now laugh :

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/shv/3-10x42

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Gee, a few posts back somebody rather, uh, forcefully mentioned that NF doesn't listen to potential customers about what they want....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Gee, a few posts back somebody rather, uh, forcefully mentioned that NF doesn't listen to potential customers about what they want....

Right???!!!!!! laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,724
Posts18,514,268
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.