Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 40 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 39 40
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Gus

no one wants to be eaten by a carnivore. but the carnivores do have the right to live, right?

Gus,

I want to be ................................"eaten by a carnivore"................ shocked

preferably after I perish.

when it's time for me to leave this life, I hope to be out in the woods, far enough away some "carnivore" can enjoy the resources I've been collecting and storing as flesh for so many years..................before the "authorities" find my remains.

If all they find are the inedible bits, that would suit me fine.

Burial at sea in a cotton canvas shroud would work too, should I happen to die in my sleep at home or...... forbid the notion, ................in a medical facility. My payback to Mother Urth............for years of enjoying "her" bounty.

Condolences to the family and friends of the guide. Sad situation and not entirely understandable by this outdoorsman. Grizzly country, or even a heavily black bear populated one, two folks? One works the carcass the other stands guard. Only one person......head on a swivel and a locked and loaded firearm at the ready.........and hope one could reach it in time.

I wonder what it was like in the Mountain Man times? Lots more bears in lots more areas than there are now. Might have been fun!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by hookeye
Worked a gun/bow shop.
Some bowhunters wanted handguns for backup in bear country.
Most were NOT gun people.

Peace of mind and actually being able to shoot it.................two different things.

Sounds like the gun was in his backpack, since he had to go get it.

Or it could've been in a holster on his packs hip belt. Fact is, we dont really know what happened or have 10% of the facts of the incident. But like so many other threads here filled with speculation and Billy badassery everyone's hindsight is 20/20, when in actuality most here slinging schit dont have the stones to hunt in griz country.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Where did I say I was immune to the flight reflex? It's a thing.

You said it was a "cop out." If it's a reflex and physiological, how is it a "cop out?"

Best way to prepare is to understand that the flight reflex is a thing and to be prepared to not allow it to rule your action.

That's like saying that the best way to survive a subzero night out without shelter is to build a snow cave, without ever having built one. You have no idea if it'll work unless you've done it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by hookeye
Worked a gun/bow shop.
Some bowhunters wanted handguns for backup in bear country.
Most were NOT gun people.

Peace of mind and actually being able to shoot it.................two different things.

Sounds like the gun was in his backpack, since he had to go get it.

Or it could've been in a holster on his packs hip belt. Fact is, we dont really know what happened or have 10% of the facts of the incident. But like so many other threads here filled with speculation and Billy badassery everyone's hindsight is 20/20, when in actuality most here slinging schit dont have the stones to hunt in griz country.

About says it all.
Well put.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Lousy scene, and since I was not there I shall not make judgement on the hunter.

This ^^^^ ... Condolences to the family. ... May the deceased RIP...

IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Gus

no one wants to be eaten by a carnivore. but the carnivores do have the right to live, right?

Gus,

I want to be ................................"eaten by a carnivore"................ shocked

when it's time for me to leave this life, I hope to be out in the woods, far enough away some "carnivore" can enjoy the resources I've been collecting and storing as flesh for so many years..................before the "authorities" find my remains.

Burial at sea in a cotton canvas shroud would work too, should I happen to die in my sleep at home or...... forbid the notion, ................in a medical facility. My payback to Mother Urth............for years of enjoying "her" bounty.

Condolences to the family and friends of the guide. Sad situation and not entirely understandable by this outdoorsman. Grizzly country, or even a heavily black bear populated one, two folks? One works the carcass the other stands guard. Only one person......head on a swivel and a locked and loaded firearm at the ready.........and hope one could reach it in time.

I wonder what it was like in the Mountain Man times? Lots more bears in lots more areas than there are now. Might have been fun!

Geno

Geno, i am in total agreement on so many levels. to have my carcass dragged down into the woods, and left under a big white oak tree and made available for a feast by the denizens of the forest would not trouble me at all. i wouldn't want to die, but dying in the woods seems like a better choice than being incarcerated in a nursing home for years, then languish in a hospital full of tubes prior to the final demise.

while dying from a bear attack is not to be relished, there's many other ways of dying that are far worse. so, we can regret the accident or whatever it was, but we have to admit if we're cognizant, that not everyone get's to go in such an exciting manner.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Gus

Gus,

Geno

Geno, i am in total agreement on so many levels. to have my carcass dragged down into the woods, and left under a big white oak tree and made available for a feast by the denizens of the forest would not trouble me at all. i wouldn't want to die, but dying in the woods seems like a better choice than being incarcerated in a nursing home for years, then languish in a hospital full of tubes prior to the final demise.

while dying from a bear attack is not to be relished, there's many other ways of dying that are far worse. so, we can regret the accident or whatever it was, but we have to admit if we're cognizant, that not everyone get's to go in such an exciting manner.

YEP!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by smokepole

You said it was a "cop out." If it's a reflex and physiological, how is it a "cop out?"

The explanation was a nice way of saying he freaked out and ran away. That's the cop out, not just saying he pissed his pants, threw his gun at the bear, and ran, which is likely closer to what happened.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A backpack is not the place to keep your handgun!

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of guides in that country carry defense guns of some type. Myself included. But you'd be surprised how many don't carry anything, not even bear spray.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

The explanation was a nice way of saying he freaked out and ran away. That's the cop out, not just saying he pissed his pants, threw his gun at the bear, and ran, which is likely closer to what happened.

Once again, when you've been attacked by grizzlies, how did you handle it?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Your question is nonsensical in light of anything I've said.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
May Mark Uptain RIP.

Does anyone know if he had life insurance? Is his family taken care of? Is there a fund set up for donations?

What a terrible, terrible tragedy. frown

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Your question is nonsensical in light of anything I've said.

To the contrary. My question has shown that you're criticizing someone for "copping out" in a situation you've never been in yourself. So you have no idea how you would react, yet you criticize from the comfort of your easy chair.

Your refusal to answer is telling.

Of all the things that could happen to a person that would cause that person to lose it or act irrationally, getting attacked by a grizzly would have to be at the top of the list.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
More nonsense.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Tyrone
May Mark Uptain RIP.

Does anyone know if he had life insurance? Is his family taken care of? Is there a fund set up for donations?

I’ll second this!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
More nonsense.

I agree. It's nonsense to criticize someone in a situation like this, even if you've been there/done that. And you haven't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Aviator
Originally Posted by Tyrone
May Mark Uptain RIP.

I’ll second this!

Add another to this good post.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Update from Jackson, WY.

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/environmental/article_7bb8d117-4a3d-5843-b1eb-0780d6e4f670.html

Waiting to see what comes out as the final story. WGFD is holding information back. The chopped up accounts, especially in national news are generally incomplete. That area is pretty thick with griz.

There is a Go Fund Me page.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Tragic. I wonder if the guide and hunter discussed the possibility of bear trouble while retrieving an animal the day after it was shot?

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
Page 6 of 40 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1badf350, 10ring1, 160user, 12savage, 60 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,300
Posts18,505,361
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.