Hop To
Page 8 of 40 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 39 40
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I don't think I would want a 10mm in this case based on the black bear that took 14 or so 10mm rounds and still chewed the guy up pretty bad. I don't know what he had for cartridges though.
Could you provide a link to this. I've never heard this story before.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...-finally-stopped-by-a-glock-10mm-pistol/

I don’t know what he had for cartridges but this kind of negates all the nonsense that the G20 has more stopping power because it carries more cartridges albeit all at lower energy. I think the guys that say “I got 10,500 ft pounds of energy in this pistol with 15 cartridges” are just wrong. That is assuming they are using buffalo bore cartridges with their 220’s at about 700 ft pounds per shot. Granted I don’t know what cartridges this man was using but even a 44 magnum carrying 6 340 grain buffalo bore at only 9600 ft or about 1600 ft pounds per shot and a hell of a lot more penetration, could possibly have been a better solution, of coarse a 454 even better.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Damn. Couldn't even get a shot off.

Couldn’t or wouldn’t ?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by precision223
This is why I don’t go into bear countries without my shotgun, I hope their okay and find their way back home to their families.

You hope who is OK?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I don't think I would want a 10mm in this case based on the black bear that took 14 or so 10mm rounds and still chewed the guy up pretty bad. I don't know what he had for cartridges though.

I don’t know what he had for cartridges but this kind of negates all the nonsense that the G20 has more stopping power because it carries more cartridges albeit all at lower energy. I think the guys that say “I got 10,500 ft pounds of energy in this pistol with 15 cartridges” are just wrong. That is using buffalo bore numbers for their 220’s is about 700 ft pounds per shot. Granted I don’t know what cartridges he was using but a 44 magnum carrying 6 340 grain buffalo bore at only 9600 ft pounds could possibly have been a better solution, of coarse a 454 even better.

In my eexperience when useing a handgun on large dangerous animals revolvers with large diameter flat point hardcast of proper hardness or Punch bullets that penetrate very deep and leave large diameter wound channels than smaller diameter cartridges is superior. Not saying the smaller caliber rounds can’t work, just in my experience there is less margin for error.

Forget about foot pounds of energy as it doesn’t rate the wound channel or penetration accurately.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've heard tell that a 9 mm. In the right hands will kill a charging grizzly. At least in Alaska.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
i guess so but here a 10mm at point blank range.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
This thread is disgusting.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by precision223
This is why I don’t go into bear countries without my shotgun, I hope their okay and find their way back home to their families.

You hope who is OK?

The guy that's dead. Can't you read?

Sheesh...

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
Bottom line is you could become bear schitt if you don’t go in fully prepared! Always go fully prepared in bear country, such a terrible
Tragedy that coulda been avoided with more preparedness.

How do you fully prepare to hunt or hike in bear country?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've heard tell that a 9 mm. In the right hands will kill a charging grizzly. At least in Alaska.

Ya, but is the intrepid gentleman involved anxious for round two?

Might be even the Injuns would call that a lunatic stunt wink

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I don’t know what he had for cartridges but this kind of negates all the nonsense that the G20 has more stopping power because it carries more cartridges albeit all at lower energy. I think the guys that say “I got 10,500 ft pounds of energy in this pistol with 15 cartridges” are just wrong. That is assuming they are using buffalo bore cartridges with their 220’s at about 700 ft pounds per shot. Granted I don’t know what cartridges this man was using but even a 44 magnum carrying 6 340 grain buffalo bore at only 9600 ft or about 1600 ft pounds per shot and a hell of a lot more penetration, could possibly have been a better solution, of coarse a 454 even better.

Some of this assumes you can control the big guns recoil after the first shot, anything more than a 44 mag is HARD for me to control in rapid fire. And it also assumes in a panic, you won't pop off 6 misses. We continue to carry the 10 these days. More chances. After all its what you hit more so than what with, to a point and since Phil killed the charging brown bear with his 9mm all this mine is bigger than yours is kind of moot. Once we found the shot through a chrome bumper every time I was more than impressed....thinking the bear skull isn't any harder than a bumper...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Ya, but is the intrepid gentleman involved anxious for round two?

Might be even the Injuns would call that a lunatic stunt wink

I don't think you could call it that. One of the most experienced brown bears guides there is, and he chose to carry the weapon that he used to successfully put down the bear that charged his client.

That says more than 25 pages of internet blather on the subject.

Not that it has anything to do with the subject of the original post, or the fact that there is a Gofundme page set up for the guide who had five children.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Grizzly skulls aren't thick, but while the brain is still working, it is deadly. This is a skull from a 7 foot griz I shot when I was a kid. The hole is from a 25-35, which isn't considered much of a hunting cartridge, but it can kill a grizzly.

The revolver I carry when I hunt with a bow is a S&W 686+ which has 7 rounds of 357 magnum. Any round from any cartridge that ends up in the dirt won't deter a bear. It is better to have a gun that you can shoot and shoot well.

I love it when people from Rhode Island, Arkansas and Missouri tell how to live in Grizzly country...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
A sidearm belongs on your side. Pretty dumb guide.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice shot, Sir.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Grizzly Bears are the only thing I fear in the woods of North America.

Unless you've seen what they are capable of, you simply cannot understand.

I'll add Mountain Lions to that.

What a terrible tragedy. My prayers go out for his little ones.

Last edited by J23; 09/17/18.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Reloder28
A sidearm belongs on your side. Pretty dumb guide.

Pretty dumb comment given the circumstances.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
Bottom line is you could become bear schitt if you don’t go in fully prepared! Always go fully prepared in bear country, such a terrible
Tragedy that coulda been avoided with more preparedness.

How do you fully prepare to hunt or hike in bear country?

Handy 44mag sidearm on the side, 12 gauge loaded with 000 and slugs, and a partner with the same setup is how I’d go in. But first off I have no desire to go into the bear woods so I’m just putting some ideas out. Tragic situation for sure.

Fück Joe byron
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Shrapnel, I do not even know what I don’t know, nor would I pretend to have any knowledge, I like that pistol you have! On the other hand the new custom shop deluxe 629 with 3 inch barrel looks a lot like your 357.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rost495

Some of this assumes you can control the big guns recoil after the first shot, anything more than a 44 mag is HARD for me to control in rapid fire. And it also assumes in a panic, you won't pop off 6 misses. We continue to carry the 10 these days. More chances. After all its what you hit more so than what with, to a point and since Phil killed the charging brown bear with his 9mm all this mine is bigger than yours is kind of moot. Once we found the shot through a chrome bumper every time I was more than impressed....thinking the bear skull isn't any harder than a bumper...

I am guessing this 400 pound black bear did not have any bumpers. eek

Page 8 of 40 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 41 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,223
Posts18,504,259
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.