Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I bought a M-70 classic stainless boss equipped 338 WM in the classifieds here last week, got it yesterday evening, brought it home and to the rifle cradle it went, coated the bore with carb out, while in the rifle rest, I mounted, loctited, and lapped a set of tallet lw's in, mounted an old spare matte 4.5-14x40 AO, [ I know, chitty eye box, but hey, it was there] after the carb out treatment I foamed it up good with wipeout, let set for three hrs, coated it again last night before bed, and let sit upside down all night.

Got up this morning pushed a patch through it, and mounted a painted, bedded and pillar bedded factory Tupperware stock I had Darren75 here at the fire paint plus add a spacer to give me a lop of 13-7/8ths inches, went to see my old buddy at his machine shop, he cut the threads for the boss, filed the muzzle flat, that will do for now till I have time to take it to my 'smith for an 11 degree recess, came home and went to the load shop, 70 grs of RL-17 sent the 250 gr A-Frames to 2743 fps in the Winchester, went in and grabbed my 26" barreled Kimber SA, it registered 2796 fps, not such a bad loss with the Winchester having only 22"s of barrel left.

I fired a couple with the Winchester to get close to center at 100, moved the target out to 200 yards, while it was cooling I fired 5 rounds from the Kimber, they went about 1.5" for 5 at 200 yards, not surprised, that old rifle has been accurate with any bullet I've ever fired in it, I miscounted my ammo, had only four rounds left loaded with the new brass, the Winchester, chitty crown and all put 4 rounds into roughly the same 1.5"s at 200 yards, shocked the hell out of me, boss hell, who needs em. grin

Both rifles weigh right at 8.5lbs all up, I am a happy bastard today.

Trump Won!
HR IC

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I had one of those (without the Boss) and with a 275 grain Swift A-Frame it was brutal off the bench. Traded it off and I have no regrets.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I found them both completely comfortable off the bench with the 250's, but hell, I've been drinking beer, grilling chicken and smoking Dominicans this morning, may have been shooting a bit comfortably numb, works done, I'm at the farm for the weekend, let er rip!

Trump Won!
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sounds very nice rifles shooting well, some beers Sounds like life is good.

If you have the opportunity and inclination pictures of the “new” Winchester would be appreciated

Thanks GRF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks GRF, a fine weekend it will be indeed, I'll have to have Wifey send a pic to DirtFarmer, maybe he will post it, I'm really liking this 22" barreled 338, a real tight cover pit fighter if you will, stainless/synthetic and only 8.5 lbs all up says you can carry and hunt it anywhere.

Ran the numbers on the 250 gr A-Frames at 2746 fps, +3 at 100 will get a 240 yard zero and only be 5" down at 300, 20 down at 400 and still packing 1950 fps, plenty of punch for easy 400 yard hunting of all conus game, deer to moose.

Trump Won!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like a good pair gunner

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sounds like a good pair gunner

Thanks Buddy, I'm kinda stuck with the 250 SAF's for awhile, I must have 7 or 8 hundred of the things left, glad they flew well in this new rifle, have thought about the 250 NPT's and 225 gr TTSX's as well, the Swift may not give up much to either as far as hunting, just a bit of trajectory and drift.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hard to go wrong with a swift a frame buddy.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Rah-Jah that, I don't have any heavier game experience with them, just blowing through deer and medium sized pigs like they're made of newspaper. grin have seen chit fly up behind them so hard and fast I thought I missed ; ]

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by gunner500
I found them both completely comfortable off the bench with the 250's, but hell, I've been drinking beer, grilling chicken and smoking Dominicans this morning, may have been shooting a bit comfortably numb, works done, I'm at the farm for the weekend, let er rip!

Well not all of us are built like an armored tank either. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ibut hell, I've been drinking beer, grilling chicken and smoking Dominicans this morning, may have been shooting a bit comfortably numb, works done, I'm at the farm for the weekend, let er rip!

laugh laugh
Aiming fluid.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Everyone should have at least two, of perhaps the finest, all around factory cartridge produced today! Congrats. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shot a .338 some years back. Pussy cat it was. Shilen with one of those new fangled syn stocks. Very accurate as cannons go.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Shot a .338 some years back. Pussy cat it was. Shilen with one of those new fangled syn stocks. Very accurate as cannons go.

The wife loves hers.....maybe, not so much, from the bench! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
Everyone should have at least two, of perhaps the finest, all around factory cartridge produced today! Congrats. memtb

I agree buddy.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

The wife loves hers.....maybe, not so much, from the bench! grin memtb

I love mine too, I just don't get too carried away with shooting it either... I'll shoot a 5 shot group once a year, right before elk season and then put her away until elk season, then repeat again next year. grin

[Linked Image]

Going to be pulling her out of the safe here pretty soon wink

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I agree buddy.

I ‘would’ agree FOR those who need a 338 WM. Surely WT aren’t that hard to kill. Point being unless you hunt game ‘bigger’ than WT......

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jwall

I agree buddy.

I ‘would’ agree FOR those who need a 338 WM. Surely WT aren’t that hard to kill. Point being unless you hunt game ‘bigger’ than WT......

Jerry

Alright Jerry, it's damn good for wooly mammoth. Now if they would just hurry with that clone, dammit... What more could you ask for? grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Those sound like nice rifles gunner, but they're practically BB guns compared to your 338-378 Wby.

… have thought about the 250 NPT's and 225 gr TTSX's as well, the Swift may not give up much to either as far as hunting, just a bit of trajectory and drift.

If you're getting 2,750 fps out of those 250 gr bullets, I assume you could get about 3,000 fps out of a 225 gr Accubond. You would be increasing both your velocity and your B.C. with a bullet tough and effective enough for anything on the continent. Not necessary, but seems like an ideal bullet for that gun.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
jwall You’re very correct.....certainly “not” needed, if Whitetail and hogs are the biggest game on the docket! But, if you hunt a variety of large game, sometimes at extended ranges, AND want one rifle/caliber to do it all (I know....blasphemous).....the .338 WM, is pretty hard to beat! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 10/06/18.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

302 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 31 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,066
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.