Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by gunner500

I agree DD, the 338's recoil is slower and more well mannered than any of my 300 mags, it reminds me of the 'push' from 375 H&H's.

Well guys, just try one in the 77 Tanger O G 'red pad'. shocked
It ain't like that!

Jerry

My Tanger 338 kicked like a mule till I put a real honest to God 1" recoil pad on it.
Who knows why Ruger put such lousy pads on their guns. Well, not the Americans, those pads are pretty good

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
HR IC

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Shot a .338 some years back. Pussy cat it was. Shilen with one of those new fangled syn stocks. Very accurate as cannons go.

The wife loves hers.....maybe, not so much, from the bench! grin memtb

I love mine too, I just don't get too carried away with shooting it either... I'll shoot a 5 shot group once a year, right before elk season and then put her away until elk season, then repeat again next year. grin

[Linked Image]

Going to be pulling her out of the safe here pretty soon wink

Is there a 338 that doesn't shoot the Hornady 225gr. Interlock Spire Point into nice tight groups? Granted I haven't tried all of the
338 bullets out there, but nothing is more consistently accurate in all four of my 338's

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
AMEN!

Thanks Neighbor! smile

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Shot a .338 some years back. Pussy cat it was. Shilen with one of those new fangled syn stocks. Very accurate as cannons go.

The wife loves hers.....maybe, not so much, from the bench! grin memtb

I love mine too, I just don't get too carried away with shooting it either... I'll shoot a 5 shot group once a year, right before elk season and then put her away until elk season, then repeat again next year. grin

[Linked Image]

Going to be pulling her out of the safe here pretty soon wink

Is there a 338 that doesn't shoot the Hornady 225gr. Interlock Spire Point into nice tight groups? Granted I haven't tried all of the
338 bullets out there, but nothing is more consistently accurate in all four of my 338's

Now that I think about it, all of mine liked that bullet. Must be a good match for the 338. Mine also love the 250gr. sierra game kings.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Did you ever smack an elk with those 225 Hornadys or the 250 Sierra? if so, how'd they hold up?

Trump Won!
IC B2

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Originally Posted by WAM
Not disputing the accuracy or effectiveness of the .338 Win, but an ‘80s Winchester M70 synthetic .338 Win was the worst kicking rifle I ever owned. Also could not get it to shoot better than 3” groups either. Happy Trails

I’ve always found ditching the factory stock for one of much better fit and design has always made an enormous difference with felt recoil. I’m not a big guy compared to gunner500 at 5’9” 200lbs, but I have no discomfort running 30-40 rounds through my 338 prone in one session. Just my .02.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Did you ever smack an elk with those 225 Hornadys or the 250 Sierra? if so, how'd they hold up?

Yes, sierra's. My elk hunting partner only runs the sierra's in his 338 and it hammers elk. We get full penetration with the core, but sometimes find the jacket on the far side hide. They hold up well enough that it will smash through a shoulder and keep going.. Good enough for me. Keep in mind, I don't run my sierra's blazing hot though. My old Ruger m77 that I always used liked them around 2600 fps and the recoil wasn't bad at all, but it still hammered elk:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It had a pachmayr decelerator on it too, that helped tremendously to lessen the recoil..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hell of a deal, that'll work BSA, nice addition on the pad, guess I shouldn't have any penetration concerns with elk angle presented should I drag my 338 out to the elk mountains loaded with the 250 Swifts at 2750. smile

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hell of a deal, that'll work BSA, nice addition on the pad, guess I shouldn't have any penetration concerns with elk angle presented should I drag my 338 out to the elk mountains loaded with the 250 Swifts at 2750. smile

Oh, you'll be plenty good with the A frame buddy. I was stuck on the sierra for a long time because of the success my hunting partner has had with them. They are also a sleek and accurate hunting pill, with plenty of weight. The bc's are actually pretty good. Not that I've ever needed to make a long shot on an elk where I hunt. The last bull I shot was 30 yards and closing, so I thought I'd put him out of his misery with the ol 06 and 200gr. partition. It definitely did the trick.. wink. Maybe I'll get a chance to use my 338wm with the 225gr. hornady this year. I've shot other critters with that pill and it usually holds together very well. However, I sent some to our friend scotty (who also loves the 338wm) to do some penetration and weight retention tests and the hornady didn't hold together as well as we had hoped. I think it lost half it's weight and didn't penetrate near as well as a good ol partition... The reason I started shooting the 225gr hornady in my new 338wm is because I had about 4-500 left from before and the rifle shoots them so well, it's hard to make a switch to something else. I also have a few hundred 250gr. sierra's laying around. The problem is I don't shoot my 338 enough to warrant going out and buying new bullets to try. Oh, yeah, I also have some 210 partitions I have been wanting to try in it as well, but just don't have the time lately...I guess the 210 is the chit in one of these 338's.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice, Thanks, I'm racking the memory banks and can only remember smacking deer with 200 gr SAF's from my old 300 H&H, nothing bigger, that goes without saying or concern, I never caught a bullet, sounds to me like you have too many bullets too test and too little time to hunt/get it done. grin

I've heard good things about the 210 NPT's too, shoot them from a 338-06 at 2800, and yes, they're rough plows on deer.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot the 225 Hornadies, 225 Partitions, and the 225 Aframes in my .338's and they all shoot to the same POI . I trust the Aframes and Partitions a lot more than the Hornadies after a failure on a broadside elk and shoot the Partitions and Aframes pretty much exclusively on game and save the hornadies for practice sessions. The partitions and Aframes Hammer anything you hit with them, but the Aframes are bonded and hold together to punch through. In Africa, they worked perfectly and I was able to get the skinners to recover a couple bullets for me- perfect mushrooms every time. Partitions are designed to come apart, with the bottom part pushing through and the Partition forward opening up and doing huge damage. Both seem to take down game about equally but the Aframes are just so darned expensive I tend to save them for game shots only. And I have a pretty good stock of Partitions set aside.

Either way, I've been more than happy with my 338's. I did find replacing the stock on my Classic Stainless with a McMillan made a huge difference in comfort shooting at the bench. My Pre 64 custom has a custom wood stock and has always been very comfortable to shoot.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

It had a pachmayr decelerator on it too, that helped tremendously to lessen the recoil..

REALLY ! ! shocked

Well, DUH ! whistle
laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

I agree DD, the 338's recoil is slower and more well mannered than any of my 300 mags, it reminds me of the 'push' from 375 H&H's.

It ain't like that!

Jerry

My Tanger 338 kicked like a mule till I put a real honest to God 1" recoil pad on it.
Who knows why Ruger put such lousy pads on their guns.

Several guys here say the same thing.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Sheister
I shoot the 225 Hornadies, 225 Partitions, and the 225 Aframes in my .338's and they all shoot to the same POI . I trust the Aframes and Partitions a lot more than the Hornadies after a failure on a broadside elk and shoot the Partitions and Aframes pretty much exclusively on game and save the hornadies for practice sessions. The partitions and Aframes Hammer anything you hit with them, but the Aframes are bonded and hold together to punch through. In Africa, they worked perfectly and I was able to get the skinners to recover a couple bullets for me- perfect mushrooms every time. Partitions are designed to come apart, with the bottom part pushing through and the Partition forward opening up and doing huge damage. Both seem to take down game about equally but the Aframes are just so darned expensive I tend to save them for game shots only. And I have a pretty good stock of Partitions set aside.

Either way, I've been more than happy with my 338's. I did find replacing the stock on my Classic Stainless with a McMillan made a huge difference in comfort shooting at the bench. My Pre 64 custom has a custom wood stock and has always been very comfortable to shoot.

Bob

Good to hear all that, Thanks Bob, using the 250 SAF's in my rifles should give even a bit more penetration, I keep thinking, Eland, Zebra and another big old tough Blue Wildebeest bull. smile

Trump Won!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

It ain't like that!

Jerry

BTDT. Didn't like it. Just like I hated a savage 110 300wm my buddy had. My arm and hand still go numb everytime I think about firing that damn thing!!!!!! eek Oh, it was an accurate sumbiotch, but I could only shoot it 3 times from the bench. I handed it back and said, "I'm done, you shoot it"..

You had one too? I had nightmares about 300 anything after owning one of those. it took 25 years to get over it .

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

It ain't like that!

Jerry

BTDT. Didn't like it. Just like I hated a savage 110 300wm my buddy had. My arm and hand still go numb everytime I think about firing that damn thing!!!!!! eek Oh, it was an accurate sumbiotch, but I could only shoot it 3 times from the bench. I handed it back and said, "I'm done, you shoot it"..

You had one too? I had nightmares about 300 anything after owning one of those. it took 25 years to get over it .

laugh laugh Yeah we are NOT alone. grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
laugh, if it don't fit, you must git rit.

laugh

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot my 9lb+ 22" tanger .338 yesterday (with 1" Limbsaver). It's a peach with 185's at 2,700fps, but certainly more noticeable with 210's at 2,850. Still, it isn't a sharp hit. My dad was shooting his 700LSS .338 with 200's at 2,850 (wearing a 1/2" Decelerator) and he was not really enjoying it.....lol. He'd shoot a couple rounds and then rub his shoulder, grumbling "dammmmmmmnnnnnnn.....". I don't think it fits him very well, but he loves the rifle and how it shoots/kills.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

It ain't like that!

Jerry

Yep. I gave a boat paddle stock 300wm to my dad. He thinks I hate him grin..he never uses it. Still looks like new. I just don't care for the recoil impulse of that cartridge. I agree though. The savage 110 was the worst!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tzone
laugh, if it don't fit, you must git rit.

laugh

Spit my coffee out on that one. Good chit man grin

BSA MAGA
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 74 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,473 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,678
Posts18,493,850
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.