Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jwall
BTW

I have a 70 Black Shadow 300 WM. It's the 5 th 300 WM I've owned. NONE of them kicked like that X/X/X/ OG red pad.

Jerry

My 300's, all but the old H&H, are speedy recoilers, kinda rude the way they punch ya, love em though.

Trump Won!
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't know WHAT it was about THAT rifle. ? ? ?

I've owned several Tanger Red Pads, even one 300 WM and none were like that one.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Now, speaking of hard fast recoil with a half a ballcap fulla powder, my 505 Gibbs with 145 grs H-4831 under a 600 gr Woodleigh solid at 2450 fps is a pure MF'er! that bitch is rude!

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I don't know WHAT it was about THAT rifle. ? ? ?

I've owned several Tanger Red Pads, even one 300 WM and none were like that one.

Jerry

10-4, BTDT on a few I couldn't explain either, nice we have checkbooks to remedy those difficulties ; ]

Trump Won!
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I saw you snag that rifle and wondered what you’d do with it. My go to rifle for the past ten years or so has been a 22” M70 classic SS in a Mickey HTG. With 210TTSX’s it’s put a pile of meat on the ground and is really pleasant to shoot for a 338. I probably put 200-300 rounds a year though it on steel. It’s topped with a nxs 2.5-10x32 and consistently prints sub .75 4 shot groups. You’ve got a dandy rifle there. Almost wanted to buy it just to make another one for myself.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ykrvak
I saw you snag that rifle and wondered what you’d do with it. My go to rifle for the past ten years or so has been a 22” M70 classic SS in a Mickey HTG. With 210TTSX’s it’s put a pile of meat on the ground and is really pleasant to shoot for a 338. I probably put 200-300 rounds a year though it on steel. It’s topped with a nxs 2.5-10x32 and consistently prints sub .75 4 shot groups. You’ve got a dandy rifle there. Almost wanted to buy it just to make another one for myself.

Thanks ykrvak, sounds like you have a nice one too, the minute I dropped this rifle in the painted stock and found a butler creek cap for the scope, I immediately thought of hunting Alaska, have a couple wraps of camo duct tape around the scope tube for the muzzle, I believe it would be right at home in the Great White North. smile

Trump Won!
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
It certainly would be right at home here, but I’m sure you’ll find a use for it. 😉

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet I will, a backup rifle for all conus game, or purpose carry rifle for bad weather, I've never hunted game in Alaska, but cant think of anything up there that would shake off a hit from those 250 gr A-Frames.

Trump Won!
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Those 250gr SAF should be sufficient medicine for just about anything that walks around on this side of the planet. I’ve been eyeing those 230gr eld x bullets. Might have to give those a whirl.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I found them both completely comfortable off the bench with the 250's, but hell, I've been drinking beer, grilling chicken and smoking Dominicans this morning, may have been shooting a bit comfortably numb, works done, I'm at the farm for the weekend, let er rip!

Well not all of us are built like an armored tank either. wink

LOL, and all this coming from a man that choots rabbits with a 460 WBY MAG for fun. laugh

grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by memtb
Everyone should have at least two, of perhaps the finest, all around factory cartridge produced today! Congrats. memtb

I agree buddy.

I ‘would’ agree FOR those who need a 338 WM. Surely WT aren’t that hard to kill. Point being unless you hunt game ‘bigger’ than WT......

Jerry

Wabbits. wink

Well of course. How's a native Nevadan supposed to argue with that... grin.. I used every damn thing I could think of for blasting jack rabbits in the high desert. From a model 29-2 44 magnum, to a 12 gauge with slugs. Those slugs really make a mess of things sick. Of course, most times I was packing my 30-06 and a shotgun and my 44 magnum on my side. Good ol days I tell ya... Not many jacks got away.. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
No problem gunner. Looks like a sweet setup.

LOL, best part. is no range officers, worst part is having to run the damn cows outta the way sometimes ; ]

Or honey, go grab the tractor, we got to butcher a cow pronto... Damn things walked in front of the target again.. grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I agree DD, the 338's recoil is slower and more well mannered than any of my 300 mags, it reminds me of the 'push' from 375 H&H's.

Well guys, just try one in the 77 Tanger O G 'red pad'. shocked
It ain't like that!

Jerry

BTDT. Didn't like it. Just like I hated a savage 110 300wm my buddy had. My arm and hand still go numb everytime I think about firing that damn thing!!!!!! eek Oh, it was an accurate sumbiotch, but I could only shoot it 3 times from the bench. I handed it back and said, "I'm done, you shoot it"..

BSA MAGA
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not disputing the accuracy or effectiveness of the .338 Win, but an ‘80s Winchester M70 synthetic .338 Win was the worst kicking rifle I ever owned. Also could not get it to shoot better than 3” groups either. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ykrvak
Those 250gr SAF should be sufficient medicine for just about anything that walks around on this side of the planet. I’ve been eyeing those 230gr eld x bullets. Might have to give those a whirl.

10-4 ykrvak, bet those 230 gr eld-x's will smack tight on steel and ventilate caribou and deer for the freezers with ease.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I found them both completely comfortable off the bench with the 250's, but hell, I've been drinking beer, grilling chicken and smoking Dominicans this morning, may have been shooting a bit comfortably numb, works done, I'm at the farm for the weekend, let er rip!

Well not all of us are built like an armored tank either. wink

LOL, and all this coming from a man that choots rabbits with a 460 WBY MAG for fun. laugh

grin

Can I get an AMEN from the back row? cool

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
No problem gunner. Looks like a sweet setup.

LOL, best part. is no range officers, worst part is having to run the damn cows outta the way sometimes ; ]

Or honey, go grab the tractor, we got to butcher a cow pronto... Damn things walked in front of the target again.. grin

LOL, ironically enough, if you look to the top of the range pic MarineHawk posted, that's dew North, on over to the East another 500 yards is where I used to take cattle that had died and do my bullet testing, after testing, you can shoot coyotes off the dead cow for two damn weeks. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by WAM
Not disputing the accuracy or effectiveness of the .338 Win, but an ‘80s Winchester M70 synthetic .338 Win was the worst kicking rifle I ever owned. Also could not get it to shoot better than 3” groups either. Happy Trails

Dang WAM, wish you would have had better luck with that rifle, I just got lucky with this one, I believe four factors came into play with this new rifle, it definitely likes the 250 gr SAF's, Bud done a hell of a job with the files on that crown, Smith done a hell of a job pillar, and action bedding that Tupperware stock, as well as bedding the bottom metal, and ZERO wind. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Here is the pic:

[Linked Image]

Range pic TTT, camera didn't take for the "Black Rifle Challenge" thread. blush

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
AMEN!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (160user, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 44mc, 3333vl, 308ld, 14 invisible), 1,566 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.