Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
To cause as much butthurt as possible to people resistant to change.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here's what happened with my latest 1-8 twist .260, prominently mentioned in the article Casey (alpinecrick) provided a link to, though apparently very few on this thread bothered to read it, because it might take three minutes they could use to make more posts.

This .260 is a Tikka T3, part of a special run from Whittaker Guns. It proved to be VERY accurate, not unknown in Tikkas, but the standard short magazine proved to be too short to allow even many "hunting" bullets to be seated to the lands, much less high-BC bullets--and the rifle proved to be most accurate with bullets seated close to the lands. So I spent a couple hours modifying the magazine so it would accept rounds up to 2.95 inches long, which solved the problem.

All 6.5 Creedmoor rifles come with 1-8 twist barrels right from the factory, and bullets seated to the lands will fit inside their magazines. Both .260 problems are solved from the get-go.

As for the OP's question, one answer is that if you have an accurate 6.5x55 (I do) there's no need for a 6.5 Creedmoor--though my custom Lilja-barreled 6.5x55 doesn't shoot any better than the average factory 6.5 Creedmoor, and not as well as some.

Another answer comes in the form of a question: What does "need" have to do with 99% of rifle stuff discussed on the Campfire?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My most humble apologies for not reading your article, I won't let it happen again.

My .260 has a 3-inch magazine, so I've not run into this problem, but thanks for clarifying that the problem is the magazine, not the 8-twist.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Need is irrelevant. Want is the standard.

Don't lose sight of that, or you will forfeit your Loonie credentials.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's now possible for end users to acquire what's needed to satisfy nearly every whim, requirement, notion, etc as to platform, caliber, twist, velocity, ta dum de dum de dum, with relative ease. WTF is wrong with that, and why do so many piss and moan about the Golden Age of opportunity we have? This isn't a zero-sum game; nothing prevents anyone from enjoying their personal ballistic ideal except the laws of physics and the limits of their finances. Why should anyone give a red rat's ass what anyone else uses or feel diminished by others' success and satisfaction in their pursuits? Conversely, why does anyone feel a need to take potshots at what others use and like?

It's like a bunch of high school girls busting on each others' purses on Facebook. Grow the fugg up.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by steve4102
Actually the reason I asked was my son has a wild hair up his ass to by a new rifle.

He is talking CM.

He already has. Stainless Wood In 6.5 Swede and I have a CZ Full Stock in Swede that he will inherit shorty.

Besides being Short action what does the CM bring to his table. I thought maybe you guys could identify some CM advantages I could pass on to him.
Unless he wants an AR-10 or some other detachable magazine-fed rifle, nothing.

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have 2 6.5 Swedish Mauser based guns and a Tikka T3 in 6.5 Swede. I really want to know the big deal made over a short action. The last time I shot a deer I don't remember the long action being a problem. My son says I racked it pretty quickly though. Weight difference? Have a bigger bowl of Wheaties. Performance? I probably won't take a shot over 200 yards as I can't generally see much over that. I think the Swede would have the edge in 160 grain bullets but not overwhelmingly so.
All that aside, I want something in 6.5 Creedmore just because I like to monk around with guns and loads. My wife makes some noises about hunting again and it sounds like the 6.5 CM will be soft enough recoiling not to bother her.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by rainshot

It is the most maligned cartridge since the .270 I think.

Has everyone forgotten the short and super short versions of pretty much everything they could think of a while back?

[Linked Image]

I never played with the WSSM's, but I have a few WSM's and really like them. I wish I had never sold my 7mmWSM though, but I still have the 270 and 300 WSMs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If all we do is shoot deer at 200 yards we really can't show a great need for more than the 30-30 lever gun.

It's a big world and there are all sorts of potential for all kinds of riflemen.

And your kid is gonna do what he wants to anyway. My youngest recently showed up with a Kel Tec PF9. I choked a bit, but we went to the range together and had a great time.

He already had enough guns to do everything he NEEDS to for a lifetime, but he made a choice and he'll figure out the nature of choices.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Being a handloader and already owning a couple of Swedes, I never had much interest in the Creedmoor though everything about it makes a lot of sense. Then the Barrett Fieldcraft came to be and I had to have one - the Creedmoor made more sense to me than anything else in that particular rifle. This combo has become an instant favorite but it's as much the rifle as the cartridge. I've debated what I might start my grandsons hunting with when they get a little older. Prior to the Creedmoor it'd likely have been the 243, but today with deer and elk on the menu at the same time, I'll probably start them with 6.5 Creedmoors.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reminds me I should order a fast twist barrel for the .270 Ingwe... smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Originally Posted by 32_20fan
Spelling contest.

Fot those that can't spell Swedish Norwigeon Mouser.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I don't see very many nib 6.5 Swedes selling for $300-$400 bucks. You can go and buy 50 rds of hornady ammo for the CM loaded with 140gr bthp for less than $60 bucks. You can't do that with the Swede..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 79S
Well I don't see very many nib 6.5 Swedes selling for $300-$400 bucks. You can go and buy 50 rds of hornady ammo for the CM loaded with 140gr bthp for less than $60 bucks. You can't do that with the Swede..

You can buy 200 rounds of the 140 BTHP Hornady American Gunner at Sportsmans for $139. and it shoots!

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by 79S

You can buy 200 rounds of the 140 BTHP Hornady American Gunner at Sportsmans for $139. and it shoots!

Even better and proves the point over the 6.5 cm versus 6.5 Swede.. I have swede it was that lipsey run of 250 for this yr. I will get another 6.5 cm once Winchester makes them in the model 70.

Last edited by 79S; 10/10/18.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Why the need for a Creedmoore when the 6.5 Swede loaded to equal pressures exceeds the Creed in velocity with less compression?

Steve, 6.5 creed fits in a short action with room to seat the bullets out pure and simple. Neither the 260 nor the 6.5 swede will do that in a short action. Some people would never use that but a large amount of people do. If you do use it the 6.5 creed gives you more for the same in a short action. From a marketing standpoint it was absolutely brilliant and the sales show it. Along with great sales comes much more ammo, cheaper ammo, more available ammo. Who in there right mind would not want the extra benefits?

I personally hunt with a 6.5 swede and handload. When I buy my second grandkid a rifle it will be a creedmoor! Why? He might not want to handload and I'd much prefer he can buy ammo anywhere when he needs to.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by 79S

Even better and proves the point over the 6.5 cm versus 6.5 Swede.. I have swede it was that lipsey run of 250 for this yr. I will get another 6.5 cm once Winchester makes them in the model 70.

Proves the point of 6.5CM over a whole lotta stuff...and along the lines of a 308, which has the biggest plethora of ammo out there.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I must be getting old because I still shoot my 25-06 with 75gr Sierra bullets and 60gr of 4831. Speed is about 3700. Barrel is a 10T Remington from back when the Rem fac would re-barrel in their shop. Excellent accuracy to 300 plus yds. I don't shoot much farther than that.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Why the need for a Creedmoore when the 6.5 Swede loaded to equal pressures exceeds the Creed in velocity with less compression?

Just befuckencause thats why.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Here's what happened with my latest 1-8 twist .260, prominently mentioned in the article Casey (alpinecrick) provided a link to, though apparently very few on this thread bothered to read it, because it might take three minutes they could use to make more posts.

This .260 is a Tikka T3, part of a special run from Whittaker Guns. It proved to be VERY accurate, not unknown in Tikkas, but the standard short magazine proved to be too short to allow even many "hunting" bullets to be seated to the lands, much less high-BC bullets--and the rifle proved to be most accurate with bullets seated close to the lands. So I spent a couple hours modifying the magazine so it would accept rounds up to 2.95 inches long, which solved the problem.

All 6.5 Creedmoor rifles come with 1-8 twist barrels right from the factory, and bullets seated to the lands will fit inside their magazines. Both .260 problems are solved from the get-go.

As for the OP's question, one answer is that if you have an accurate 6.5x55 (I do) there's no need for a 6.5 Creedmoor--though my custom Lilja-barreled 6.5x55 doesn't shoot any better than the average factory 6.5 Creedmoor, and not as well as some.

Another answer comes in the form of a question: What does "need" have to do with 99% of rifle stuff discussed on the Campfire?

Built my last 260 on a long action . no problems

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (06hunter59, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,952
Posts18,519,295
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.