Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
smokepole,

My comment on not reading the linked article was for ldholton, not you.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
ldholton,

Another post for you: What's the point of "building" a special .260 on a long action, when you can just go buy an off-the-shelf 6.5 Creedmoor that works just as well, if not better? Should everybody go build a long-action .260 instead? Boy, I can just them lining up in gunsmith shops to get one of those new long-action .260's.

Plus, while .260 brass isn't exactly unavailable (I use Lapua in mine), there's a LOT more good 6.5 Creedmoor brass available these days.

I just don't get this obsession with "proving" other small 6.5's are just as good as the 6.5 Creedmoor--partly because if they actually were, they would have long ago become what the 6.5 Creedmoor is now, one of the world's (not just America's) most popular cartridges. Without having to build a .260 on a long action, or a 6.5x55 with a modern throat.

Come to think of it, if you're going to the trouble and expense of building a .260 on a long action, why not a 6.5x55, or even a 6.5-06? Both will get more muzzle velocity than the .260, which is apparently what so many anti-Creedmoor shooters are obsessed about.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by steve4102

Why the need for a Creedmoore when the 6.5 Swede loaded to equal pressures exceeds the Creed in velocity with less compression?

Okay, I shall let you in on the secret just this once but you have to promise to not tell anyone, the whole thing was created so that all the new shooters would lust after this cartridge in a plastic platform so that all those with taste/style could snaffle all the truly interesting firearms made of blued steel and charisma.

But Shhhh...keep it quite.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Why all the pussy hurt over a brass case.

^^ this. Who cares?

Fo Sho!

I bought a 6..5 CM because I wanted a light recoiling, accurate, round. It happens to be cheap to buy ammo, damn near everywhere has it now too. It's accurate a lot further out than I can shoot, but for the ranges I hunt, it's an excellent round. I bought a Kimber Hunter. Some like them, some don't. But I don't GAS what someone else thinks of my stuff. It's a nice little, lightweight rifle that shoot sub-MOA with a 200yd sight in.

Ok,you discribed the 243,260,7mmo8. I owned a creedmoor for 2 weeks before i decided that for hunting i already have 3-4 more accurate rifles

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
"But Shhhh...keep it quite."

Are you very quite when hunting wascally wabbits? grin

FJB & FJT
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Creedmoor chamber reamers won't cut 4140 cro-mo?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
smokepole,

My comment on not reading the linked article was for ldholton, not you.

Ooops, once again, my most humble apologies......without the sarcasm font this time.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
[u][/u]
ldholton,

Another post for you: What's the point of "building" a special .260 on a long action, when you can just go buy an off-the-shelf 6.5 Creedmoor that works just as well, if not better? Should everybody go build a long-action .260 instead? Boy, I can just them lining up in gunsmith shops to get one of those new long-action .260's.

Plus, while .260 brass isn't exactly unavailable (I use Lapua in mine), there's a LOT more good 6.5 Creedmoor brass available these days.

I just don't get this obsession with "proving" other small 6.5's are just as good as the 6.5 Creedmoor--partly because if they actually were, they would have long ago become what the 6.5 Creedmoor is now, one of the world's (not just America's) most popular cartridges. Without having to build a .260 on a long action, or a 6.5x55 with a modern throat.

Come to think of it, if you're going to the trouble and expense of building a .260 on a long action, why not a 6.5x55, or even a 6.5-06? Both will get more muzzle velocity than the .260, which is apparently what so many anti-Creedmoor shooters are obsessed about.

Never said I was anti Creedmoor. Those that think that Creedmoor so much more cartridge in say the 260 as my example or absolutely wrong. How it is Sammi spec there is some advantages yes but you can take 260 you can neck down 308 Palma Lapua brass you got your small primer pocket already you can push it to higher pressures in the Creedmoor. The reason to run one in a long action is deceit whatever profile bullet you want in contact with the lands and also keep in contact with your land as your throat erodes if you think you can load a Creedmoor with any profile bullet and run it through the magazine especially as the Lands eroad you are dead wrong. And why would I build on a long action to have the advantage of bullet seating bullets as such and also have a lower recoil rifle sorry if that's difficult to understand

Last edited by ldholton; 10/10/18.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mathman
Creedmoor chamber reamers won't cut 4140 cro-mo?

What do you call a girl with a 6.5CM?

Creedmolly.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by steve4102

Why the need for a Creedmoore when the 6.5 Swede loaded to equal pressures exceeds the Creed in velocity with less compression?

You are missing the point entirely. NEED is a 4-letter word and has nothing to do with it!

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I don't NEED a man-bun either.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S

The intolerance here rivals that of Kavenaugh hearings. If you don’t use the 6.5, get ready to be pounded...

Last edited by shrapnel; 10/10/18.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I finally have a 6.5 in my possession. Tho it's not a Creedmoor, It's a 6.5 PRC. I haven't shot it yet. Might be a couple a week before I can get out. I just had my Gallbladder removed. Need time to heal up. Says the Doctor.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The 260, and 6.5X55 will do anything the 6.5 CM will do. If you handload and/or have custom rifles built to take advantage of modern high BC bullets. The 260 cartridge and most rifles were designed around 120 gr hunting bullets. The 6.5X55 around 160 gr RN bullets at considerably less pressure. The 6.5CM was designed around modern high BC bullets and offers the performance in reasonably priced off the shelf ammo and rifles.

I don't think it is necessarily BETTER, but it is certainly easier to get into the 6.5 cartridge with the Creedmoor than other 6.5's.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Here's what happened with my latest 1-8 twist .260, prominently mentioned in the article Casey (alpinecrick) provided a link to, though apparently very few on this thread bothered to read it, because it might take three minutes they could use to make more posts.

This .260 is a Tikka T3, part of a special run from Whittaker Guns. It proved to be VERY accurate, not unknown in Tikkas, but the standard short magazine proved to be too short to allow even many "hunting" bullets to be seated to the lands, much less high-BC bullets--and the rifle proved to be most accurate with bullets seated close to the lands. So I spent a couple hours modifying the magazine so it would accept rounds up to 2.95 inches long, which solved the problem.

All 6.5 Creedmoor rifles come with 1-8 twist barrels right from the factory, and bullets seated to the lands will fit inside their magazines. Both .260 problems are solved from the get-go.

As for the OP's question, one answer is that if you have an accurate 6.5x55 (I do) there's no need for a 6.5 Creedmoor--though my custom Lilja-barreled 6.5x55 doesn't shoot any better than the average factory 6.5 Creedmoor, and not as well as some.

Another answer comes in the form of a question: What does "need" have to do with 99% of rifle stuff discussed on the Campfire?

So they shortened the throat of the CM?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Primarily they shortened the case.

Could look up the length of the throat in the 6.5 Creedmoor vs. the .260 but am not going to bother. The major point was to create a case that worked well with the standard factory short magazine, which allows overall cartridge lengths of about 2.85 inches, when using high-BC bullets with longer ogives than were common back when the .260 appeared in 1997. Essentially the Creedmoor is a .260 shortened enough for the "new reality" of higher-BC bullets.

John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The intolerance here rivals that of Kavenaugh hearings. If you don’t use the 6.5, get ready to be pounded...

No one pounds anyone about not using a creedmoor. All that is seen is the anti people.

You are no different than the gays who hate trump and go way out of your way to constantly say it in public. You once made some good posts but you are no different now than a liberal

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ldholton,

This ∆ gentleman knows his stuff. That said, I'm TIRED of hearing about it. It's a good cartridge. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. There are plenty good cartridges. When I hear somebody say "Creedmoor", it's like hearing them say "transgender". It's a conversation that may be really important to them...but not me.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
So, how does the Creedmoor stack up against say, a 270 Win? laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
So, how does the Creedmoor stack up against say, a 270 Win? laugh

They both identify as superior cartridges.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 16gage, 54 invisible), 3,002 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,965
Posts18,519,560
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.