Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or practice well, which may be just as important.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by TenX
Wonder what Elmer Keith might say regarding bullet weight?
Phil

There are many things I ponder related to elk hunting, but not one of them involves what Elmer Keith thinks. smile

Kind of my thinking also.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Or practice well, which may be just as important.

As far as recoil tolerance, I found shotguns to be great "shoulder tougheners".

When I had time to shoot shotguns a lot, I never noticed that 300, or anything else I shot.

1oz 12g loads don't kick much in a clays gun. But a hundred or 2 at a time tend to toughen you up.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
I hope a 7x57 Mauser with a 150 Partition qualifies cause that is what my wife will be toting in 2 weeks in New Mexico.

Plenty good enough.

Understatement in metal form - 7x57 Mauser.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Way back when I was a kid, I killed 5 with a .308 and 180 grain CoreLokts -- no problem. I've killed one with a .270 and 130 grain Partitions -- no problem. I've killed a half dozen or so with a 7 Rem Mag and 160 grain Partitions -- some needed additional rounds to get them to fall over.

I believe my 7mm-08 with 140 grain Partitions will do just fine.

Saw my Nephew kill a nice Bull with a .243 and generic 100 grain bullets -- it took several hits to do the job.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
get the rifle you can handle not everyone can handle a big cartridge rifle, some may like a smaller cartridge because of recoil ? distance can be a factor too you might need a more powerful rifle ?,bull`s many times die harder than cows do, I have seen bulls take a pounding sometimes. many caliber/cartridges are all great just get the type of rifle and what cartridge you like . good luck be safe ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the best way to not be sensitive to recoil is to shoot more. I used to shoot often (very often) and I loved my 338. In fact I wondered why anyone would be bothered by that amount of recoil. The last few years I shoot very little and a few days ago I found myself flinching when shooting my 338-08. I think I really need too get back not only become used to recoil again but also to improve my accuracy. I can tell I'm not nearly as good as I used to be.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have used a .44 Mag in a Ruger Super Redhawk, no shots.
Also .44 Mag in a Browning B92 carbine. Had an opportunity at 100 yards but passed because we already had one down that needed attention.

My .257 Robert has been used several times with 120g AFrames, no shots taken.

Would not hesitate to use my .243 Win, knowing I'd pass on shots I'd be happy to take with other rifles.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Eastern tenderfoot and Texas elk experts? SMH

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Flip the question.

What's the biggest elk cartridge you can use well?

That's a fair question. It is also not a simple question. First, it's personal and varies a lot. Second, shooting position is very important to the answer even for a single person. Lay prone and shoot uphill vs shooting seated vs shooting standing up at something downhill. Big difference in what will scope cut you vs what won't. So what's realistic where you hunt? A classic "elk country" high elevation meadow in the Rockies might be pretty different than the coastal jungle of Oregon or Washington where visibility might be in feet (but might also be over a mile).

For me .. I can use a lot of different things but I'll adapt how I use them to their limitations.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
This is just one perspective, but if you already had two rifles in position to shoot at a big bull; could shoot both rifles well (big ifs, I know, but it’s true for some people/circumstances); and could squeeze the trigger on either one, would you prefer the rifle launching the left bullet or the right bullet at the bull? Both hit their previous victims right at about 3,000 fps. The one on the right went through about two feet of deer before stopping. The left one went through abut 3-1/2 feet of moose before stopping.

[Linked Image]

Just food for thought. Not saying the one on the right won’t work with the right shot placement.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Were they both found under the hide on the far side?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Were they both found under the hide on the far side?

Exactly. So, I get that the smaller one would have gone further if the distance to the far hide was longer. Both went through various degrees of bone. I fully understand that the right bullet qualitatively is not as tough. It was a cup-and-core, where the left one was monolithic. I'm not suggesting it's an apples-apples comparison. Just a visual comparison of the size difference of expanded .243 vs. .338. 95gr vs. 225gr.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
MarineHawk, I like the way you think! A strategically placed “knitting needle” will kill effectively, but there is little room for error! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by memtb
MarineHawk, I like the way you think!

You should tell my wife that. After 15 years, I am starting to get suspicious that she does not agree.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Phil

.45-110-550

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by memtb
MarineHawk, I like the way you think!

You should tell my wife that. After 15 years, I am starting to get suspicious that she does not agree.

It’s the Mars/Venus thing! smile memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WyomingTerritory
Phil

.45-110-550

A reasonably accurate quote of Elmer Keith, when asked his opinion of the perfect cartridge.....his response, “ Something that would throw a campstove at about 3,000 fps!” memtb

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dillonbuck and Tracks,

Yeah, quite a few shooters think that shooting harder-kicking guns more is the way to "toughen shoulders," or get over the fear or recoil.

But the vast preponderance of evidence is that shooting harder-kicking guns a LOT has exactly the opposite effect on most humans., especially over time. This is exactly why so many hard-core competitive shotgunners eventually switch to release triggers, and why so many competitive rifle shooters switch to lighter-kicking cartridges. A good example is famous High Power legend David Tubb, who progressed "downhill" in cartridges from the .308 to the 6XC (even lighter recoiling than the .243) over the years.

This has nothing to do with being many, or toughening shoulders. Instead it has to do with the part of the brain that subconsciously creates a flinch if a human subjects themselves to recoil hundreds of thousands of time. Physical damage can also results, not just to shoulders but to brains.

John Steinbeck
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1minute, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,410
Posts18,507,058
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.