Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Who has bought these? TLW knockoffs but made out of a stronger alloy and appear more robust. Thoughts?

HR IC

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice OE!...I wasn't even aware of these but I went to the Leupold site and looked them over. It looks like Leupold has done Talley one better, I like the sculpted look of the Back Country ringmounts better and they look a little more beefy than a Talley LW but Leupold is damn proud of em! 😁....That being said if they eventually offer them for the Kimber 8400 or Tikka T3 in low height I will buy a set....Hb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Who has bought these? TLW knockoffs but made out of a stronger alloy and appear more robust. Thoughts?

Unless I were after a specific look on a blued/walnut rifle, I really can't see the Backcountry's offer anything Talley's already offer at less cost, with more height's and finishes, and without another friggin Leupold logo.

As to the 7075-T6 Aluminum the Leupold's are made of, the Talley's are also made of an unspecified 7000 series aluminum. I doubt the Leupold's are any stronger in reality.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are definitely more attractive than the Talley's and they are machined, rather than extrusions. I see them for $85, so that is a decent price considering the more expensive production methods.

I will have to give them a try.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ChetAF
They are definitely more attractive than the Talley's and they are machined, rather than extrusions. I see them for $85, so that is a decent price considering the more expensive production methods.

I missed the machined part. Good catch. Since that is the case they are a indeed a different animal, and worth the price. And they are better looking...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I saw that as well Chet. They look a whole sight better to me than Talleys. Not a bad price either. Might have to give them a shot. Do they make them for the Barrett?

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not that I can see. Does the Barrett use M700 mounts? If so, I could just punch the holes out to 8x40 to accommodate the Barrett.

I may order a set to try on one of my Simillion M70's.

They are also offering machined 7075 cross-slot rings under the Back Country name.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They look pretty dang good to me.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Brad

Unless I were after a specific look on a blued/walnut rifle, I really can't see the Backcountry's offer anything Talley's already offer at less cost, with more height's and finishes, and without another friggin Leupold logo.

As to the 7075-T6 Aluminum the Leupold's are made of, the Talley's are also made of an unspecified 7000 series aluminum. I doubt the Leupold's are any stronger in reality.

Talleys are 6061. I am going to have to try them out on My M70 LA

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Talley's website says 7000 series aluminum.

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/Products/Lightweight-Alloy-Scope-Mount.aspx

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O

Talley's website says 7000 series aluminum.

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/Products/Lightweight-Alloy-Scope-Mount.aspx

They changed it , they used to be 6061

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Gotchya... any idea when they did?

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O

I was looking at DNZ rings which are 7075 and I remembered the alloy on the talleys being lesser at that time. Timeline not sure. I would have to call Talley to confirm that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody know what they mean by 'RVR' on the Winchester rings?

https://www.leupold.com/scope-mounts/backcountry-winchester-70-rvr-2-pc-1-med-matte

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I was looking at DNZ rings which are 7075 and I remembered the alloy on the talleys being lesser at that time. Timeline not sure. I would have to call Talley to confirm that.

Thank you sir!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

https://www.leupold.com/scope-mounts/backcountry-winchester-70-rvr-2-pc-1-med-matte

Reversible?

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V

Reversible?

Yep, that would be my guess......Hb

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Looks like medium and high only?

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Looks like medium and high only?

They have only recently made them available for anything except a Remington or Browning Abolt. I would give them time

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Vice versa, Oldelkhunter. Nothing "wrong" with 6061, costs less, but the item will be designed a bit bulkier to make up for strength (e.g. a DNZ). 7075 is a bit finer, and can be manufactured a bit daintier with comparable strength. Does cost more, however.

While am skeptical talley's or melvins where ever made of 6061, but I wasn't there, don't know. I do know, every DNZ I've ever seen is 6061, and, to wit on their FAQ:

"Question – What type of material is used? Answer – All of our scope mounts are machined from a solid block of billet 6061T6 Aluminum."

None the less, I'd like to give the leupolds a whirl. Need to see what their medium's height is, though. Would prefer a low.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,565
Posts18,491,815
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.