-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends on what you mean by any similarity. All TSEs are misfolded proteins so are similar in that respect. Similar in ability to cross species barriers? Nobody knows at this time.

GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Wife beater tshirts
Fold up chairs
Double wide slice of heaven home
Squirrel brains
Beer
Moobs

Awesome video!!!!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Goosey
The same thing was noted in Kentucky back in the '90s. A whole bunch of people acquired a "mad squirrel disease". Back then they were reporting it as a variant of mad cow. Like Creutzfeldt-Jakob, it's a prion disease. All of the affected people were squirrel brain-eaters. All of them died.

Same thing can happen from eating all sorts of brain, including human brains (Kuru disease).

Moral of the story: don't eat brains!

Probably good advice.

I can almost guarantee that the country people back in the day who ate squirrel brains also ate pork brains from the hogs they raised. Whether or not it harmed them is anyone's guess.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I knew a lot of old timers that ate squirrel, and pork brains and never knew of anybody having a mysterious disease like this. It was a very common thing and should have showed up here. I have eaten them but do not on a regular basis. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I read once where this is one of the best loved foods in the US. My dad tells me that when he was a kid back in the 1930s and 40’s he loved chicken brains.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
before she died in 1997 ,my wifes granma in Eastern KY ,had me save the heads off squirrels when i went squirrel hunting ,she loved eating squirrel brains ,she been doing that as a kid

NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Gross.

Don't they have Snickers bars in the south??

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I don't but it seems most demoncraps have them.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/nation-world/national/article220151245.html

This may make you think twice about eating squirrel brains:

A man who ate squirrel brains may have died after catching rare mad cow-like disease

By Scott Berson

sbersonmcclatchy.com

October 17, 2018 10:58 AM

Updated October 17, 2018 07:36 PM

A new report says a Rochester, NY., hunter may have developed an ultra-rare brain infection after eating the brains of squirrels he killed, according LiveScience.

The report was presented at the ID (infectious disease) week conference as an abstract called “Towards Earlier Diagnosis of Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies (TSEs): A Case Series, Including One Associated with Squirrel Brain Consumption.”

The report identified a 61-year-old male who was diagnosed with the rare brain infection called variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease after eating squirrel brains. He arrived at a hospital after suffering thinking problems and an impaired walk, according to the report. He died about five months after being diagnosed with the infection in 2015.

The disease is similar to “mad cow disease,” which causes tiny holes to fill the brain until the tissue looks like a sponge (which is where ‘”spongiform” comes from), according to the National Institutes of Health.
Latest news by email

The afternoon's latest local news

The infection is always fatal, and most who get the disease live around a year. It causes rapid degeneration of memory, thinking, vision and coordination before causing dementia and death, according to the NIH.

It is part of a family of diseases caused by prions, which are infectious proteins that infiltrate the brain. Chronic wasting disease in deer is one example of a prion disease, as is fatal familial insomnia, a different brain infection affecting humans that removes the ability to sleep, eventually causing death.

Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is extremely rare, with only four people ever confirmed to have the disease in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control.

The non-variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease is also rare, with only about 350 cases per year in the United States, according to the NIH. Most people develop the disease spontaneously, while a few inherit it. Some acquire it through other means, such as by ingesting infected tissue - which is what scientists suspect happened with the squirrel brains.

The USDA announced there is a cow that was tested positive for mad cow disease. Officials do say they pose no health risks.
By Christian Colón

Tara Chen, a medical student who produced the report, said it wasn’t entirely clear yet if the squirrel brains were the cause of the infection, and that researchers were trying to secure autopsy samples, according to LiveScience. Chen said it also wasn’t clear if the man ate the brains themselves or meat that was contaminated with brain matter, according to the site.

Squirrel-brain transmission of the disease is not a new concern. Doctors in Kentucky put out a warning against eating squirrel brains in 1997 after 11 people were diagnosed in the state with the non-variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, according to the New York Times.

“‘All of them were squirrel-brain eaters,’‘ a doctor told the paper at the time.

Donovan Rivas has been diagnosed with Shprintzen-Goldberg Syndrome. A fundraiser is scheduled for May 6, 2016 at NorthPointe Community Church in Fresno, Calif.
By Eric Paul Zamora

Researchers say a New York man may have been infected with Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease after eating squirrel brains from hunting. The disease is similar to mad cow disease and leads to dementia and death. Robert F. Bukaty AP

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
When we had squirrel stew when I was growing up my father would eat the brains and cheek meat.
I never did. I did not like seeing their heads with their rat teeth in the pot. lol

tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,601
Posts18,473,568
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.