Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by Brad
All cartridges are equal inside 500 yards... especially on WT deer.

Pretty much this in a nutshell. Mix them all together and you get 140 grains of something with about a .450 BC going 2,900 FPS.

Saw some 6.5CM 140 gr Corlokts today at Dick's for $15.99, so id say it's here to stay. Ha!

Thats right, and it will stay the flavor of the month until the next "greatest" cartridge comes along that dont do nothin better than cartridges we already have.....lmao....Hb

Like that new fangled 270.....

I ain't looking for a new rig, but I'd get a 6.5CM if I was. Unless some sucker was giving away a 308,270, or 30-06 because he thought the 6.5CM would add 15 yards to his drive and give him a 4 hour erection.

GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Kaleb
It's so funny you idiots still consider it a flavor....its a successful chambering that doesn't need any aproval. Yes a 300 win mag is much better for a Virginia deer.....laffin

Your very right, and its better for Kentucky deer, its even better for coyotes.....grin......Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I could have only one short-action cartridge of 6mm or more, it would be the 6.5CM. Pretty useful tool.

As it stands I have bolts in a .243 Win, .257 Roberts and .308. A 6.5 CM would easily replace them all in terms of functionality.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Avoid the small primer version cases for hunting.. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's so funny you idiots still consider it a flavor....its a successful chambering that doesn't need any aproval. Yes a 300 win mag is much better for a Virginia deer.....laffin

Post up some evidence of your successes with the Creedmoor. You aren't any better than the people you criticise when you hide behind a computer somewhere in Arkansas.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
If I could have only one short-action cartridge of 6mm or more, it would be the 6.5CM. Pretty useful tool.

As it stands I have bolts in a .243 Win, .257 Roberts and .308. A 6.5 CM would easily replace them all in terms of functionality.

This makes sense. I wish there was a factory chambered 6.5cm that interested me at a price point I could justify.

Last edited by setch; 10/20/18.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The .260 Rem is also a strong contender here.....I dont get the 6.5 Creed craze, with all the hoopla Many think this cartridge is the best thing since sliced bread.....I dont see where it is head and shoulders above everything else....Maybe as a long range target shooting cartridge its great but for long range hunting I want a bullet that hits with more energy than the little Creed, ill take My .300 Win or WSM anyday.......Hb

Thought of this video when I read your post:

6.5mm Cartridges

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
The .260 Rem is also a strong contender here.....I dont get the 6.5 Creed craze, with all the hoopla Many think this cartridge is the best thing since sliced bread.....I dont see where it is head and shoulders above everything else....Maybe as a long range target shooting cartridge its great but for long range hunting I want a bullet that hits with more energy than the little Creed, ill take My .300 Win or WSM anyday.......Hb

Thought of this video when I read your post:

6.5mm Cartridges

That was a good video. Spomer is one of the few writers I really like and message is spot-on.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Starting from scratch a 6.5 Creedmoor makes sense.

The perfect cartridge for most big game hunting.

And LR target shooting.

That said I don't shoot or hunt enough to justify trading in my 270's on 6.5's.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Post up some evidence of your successes with the Creedmoor. You aren't any better than the people you criticise when you hide behind a computer somewhere in Arkansas.

The success of the 6.5 Creed isn't dependent on what Kaleb has done with it, but it's telling that you think it does.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Wow! Nice video Whelen, I wish i knew how to post links to youtube videos, if you dont mind post a link to Randy Selbys youtube video titled "poor cartridges for long range hunting" ..Let's see what he has to say about long range hunting cartridges....I am no expert on long range hunting and never will be but this dude seems to be the real deal.....I do know with my .300 Magnum cartridges and Barnes TTSX bullets I can kill the 250lb + Northern Woodland Whitetails I hunt at any shot angle I may be presented with, this is something I would never try with lesser cartridges... The antler size bucks I hunt are very rare and IF/WHEN your lucky enough see one your not likely going to be presented with a perfect broadside shot where a .223 Rem might do the job.....What's the old adage? " I dont want a cartridge that kills when I make a perfect shot, I want a cartridge that kills"......Hb

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Wow! Nice video Whelen, I wish i knew how to post links to youtube videos, if you dont mind post a link to Randy Selbys youtube video titled "poor cartridges for long range hunting" ..Let's see what he has to say about long range hunting cartridges....I am no expert on long range hunting and never will be but this dude seems to be the real deal.....I do know with my .300 Magnum cartridges and Barnes TTSX bullets I can kill the 250lb + Northern Woodland Whitetails I hunt at any shot angle I may be presented with, this is something I would never try with lesser cartridges... The antler size bucks I hunt are very rare and IF/WHEN your lucky enough see one your not likely going to be presented with a perfect broadside shot where a .223 Rem might do the job.....What's the old adage? " I dont want a cartridge that kills when I make a perfect shot, I want a cartridge that kills"......Hb

So, Chuck Hawkes has a Youtube channel now?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hope he makes better rifles than he does videos...

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The success of the 6.5 Creed isn't dependent on what Kaleb has done with it, but it's telling that you think it does.

This chit is never not funny... As old as it gets, it's still quite comical... I think I'll grab me some popcorn as well....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Cool, thanks Higbean, I liked that old dudes video.....I just looked over Hornadys factory ballistics chart and compared the energy rating of the 6.5 Creed with 143 grain ELD-X ( 1302 ft/pd @500yds) to the Hornady factory .300 Win 200 grain ELD-X (2033 ft/pd @500 yds) or the .300 Win 180 gr GMX (1858 ft/pd @500yds) thats at least 550 ft pounds more energy...so what is Spoomer refering to here? Is Hornady paying him to push their 6.5 Creed maybe?......Or is he refering to energys at even further distances than 500 yds that are not listed?.......Hb

A
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
A
Trickery!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Can't say I agree with your assessment of the guy in the video above. My impression is closer to Higbean's.

No long range hunter myself, but I've seen enough good reports to believe a 6.5 is pretty well suited for it, in the right hands.

Regarding "Northern Woodland Whitetails" that's what I've been hunting in Wisconsin my whole life and as long as the right bullet was used I haven't had to turn down shots with 270, 7-08, 308, 30-06, 7RM, and probably others I'm forgetting about. Won't criticize the 300WM for this, but I sure don't believe it is needed.

IMO Brad pretty much nailed it: "All cartridges are equal inside 500 yards... especially on WT deer."

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Cool, thanks Higbean, I liked that old dudes video.....I just looked over Hornadys factory ballistics chart and compared the energy rating of the 6.5 Creed with 143 grain ELD-X ( 1302 ft pds @500yds) to the Hornady factory .300 Win 200 grain ELD-X (2033 ft pds @500 yds) or the .300 Win 180 gr GMX (1858 ft pds @500yds) thats at least 550 ft pounds more energy...so what is Spoomer refering to here? Is Hornady paying him to push their 6.5 Creed maybe?......Or is he refering to energys at even further distances than 500 yds that are not listed?.......Hb

Rewatch the video.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Ft pds?

Hahaha....

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Good deal, you have hunted those same big bodied bucks for more years than I have. I Know the 30-06 is an excellent cartridge for this purpose, but i love the few hundred fps gain i get with the .300 Win shooting the same bullets.....As far as long range goes i have no experience shooting at big game over 300 yds (400+ yds on groundhogs ...lol) but common sense says 500yd plus shots at game is gettin iffy and even irresponsible for the shooting skills of most hunters.....and that certainly includes Me......Hb

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1moredeer, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 50 invisible), 3,168 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,660
Posts18,534,038
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.