Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by pete53

Thanks for posting this great post. Yes : some feel a shorter barrel is best for moose and maybe so ? when I buy this standard Remington 700 7 mag.ss 26 inch barrel I may sell when I am done using this rifle ? so I will buy and use what sells best at my shop The Alaskan moose hunters I will be with prefer and like to use a 7 rem. mag. so that`s what I will use, caliber-cartridge I don`t care I am flexible on what cartridge to use in a bolt rifle ,but it will be with my handloads and a Nightforce scope . Have I hunted moose nope but I have killed plenty deer,elk ,pigs,black bears with a bow and arrow,so when I go to Alaska with a rifle I think I will do just fine and my sharp knife will do the rest.

Yup, that'll work too. smile

My long barrel 7 Mag would be one of my LAST choices for a dedicated moose rifle, but it worked no doubt.

Best of luck on your hunt.

THANK YOU and I sure did enjoy what you posted, I am also surprised not much negative posts yet or cocky ones either ? I guess your knowledge has slowed them down some.

Last edited by pete53; 10/01/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
At this point in this thread, we need someone to C&P the post from artsy’s buddy from AOD about where to shoot a moose depending on how far you want it to walk.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
At this point in this thread, we need someone to C&P the post from artsy’s buddy from AOD about where to shoot a moose depending on how far you want it to walk.

You left out the parts about which direction it will walk in, too...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Go find it! It was hilarious!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Go find it! It was hilarious!

That got scrubbed a long time ago... I believe he was the first, last, and only "Poster of the Year" over there. The Power went to his head though! wink

That and the "Ballistic Guru" Murph that does not know how bullets stabilize... made the place great for laughing at the ridiculous.

Besides I got banned for explaining how stuff really worked.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That makes sense. crazy

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've only read this one page of comments, but I'll add that I will be going back to a 338 caliber next year. I decided to moose hunt with my 6.5CM this year and ended up shooting one near the river. It collapsed at the shoulder shot (127 lrx), but managed to get up and into the river before I could put another in his neck. Did manage to wrangle him to shore and butcher him in thigh deep glacial water.

On dry land the Creed would be no problem, but on the river, I'll take the 210 grain bullet

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pittu
I've only read this one page of comments, but I'll add that I will be going back to a 338 caliber next year. I decided to moose hunt with my 6.5CM this year and ended up shooting one near the river. It collapsed at the shoulder shot (127 lrx), but managed to get up and into the river before I could put another in his neck. Did manage to wrangle him to shore and butcher him in thigh deep glacial water.

On dry land the Creed would be no problem, but on the river, I'll take the 210 grain bullet

I wonder how many of those would be prevented by moving up a bit in diameter. I would guess some, but not as many as many think.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

What will you move up to when one gets in the river after one or more of the 210 grainers?

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As they say in real estate...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mart

What will you move up to when one gets in the river after one or more of the 210 grainers?

Best just pack some dry tinder and a towel... shocked

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pittu,

I'm not certain 210 grain bullets would accomplish what you're trying to do, which is instantaneous anchoring of a moose. The 210 grain will act much like the 30 caliber magnums and 180 grainers, with excessive velocity, essentially turning meat to a bloodshot mess with the wrong shot. If you slow that bugger down with a 250 grainer or better yet, a Swift 275 grainer, you'll have better luck cleanly knocking out bone.

Two of the quickest kills I've had on big bull moose, was sending a 275 grain woodleigh clear through both front quarters of a 55" racked bull. Another was a head-on shot that hit the base of the neck, busted a bunch of bone, and was found stuck in the diaphragm, badly distorted. This was at 2200 fps from a 358 Winchester hand-load. That 57" racked bull dropped right in front of a fast, deep chute of white water on the Kandik River, the head and one antler fell in the deep, fast water. The fast chute of water blasted into a nasty, splintered mess of a wood-pile, filled into a cut bank. Had the moose not dropped, recovery would've been risky.

If you go back to the medium bore, rather than be choosey about your typical lung shot with the smaller 20 calibers, break clear through the front quarter bones with the bigger, heavier bullets, resulting in no blood-shot meat. I'd imagine that you'd be setting at 2400-2500 fps with the 275 grainer. Should be a clean deal. Any medium bore cartridge firing bullets at 2200-2500 fps, it's a perfect combination of range, killing power, penetration and lack of blood-shot meat.

A good 30 caliber with a 220 grain breaks out bone well too, if you go to 9:24 of this video, an old customer of mine who bought one of my boats, appears to have broken out the front end of a very large bull. You can tell the bull wanted to move forward, but simply couldn't get his front end to work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz1vwTPYa2M&list=PL_fotv96Eswd88PSfDBssW551-CqtqNQ0

a 30-06 or 308 with a 220 grain partition will very cleanly break the entire front end out of a large bear or moose. I dunno, but Nosler sure did a good job designing that 30 caliber gem.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Pittu,

I'm not certain 210 grain bullets would accomplish what you're trying to do, which is instantaneous anchoring of a moose. The 210 grain will act much like the 30 caliber magnums and 180 grainers, with excessive velocity, essentially turning meat to a bloodshot mess with the wrong shot. If you slow that bugger down with a 250 grainer or better yet, a Swift 275 grainer, you'll have better luck cleanly knocking out bone.

Two of the quickest kills I've had on big bull moose, was sending a 275 grain woodleigh clear through both front quarters of a 55" racked bull. Another was a head-on shot that hit the base of the neck, busted a bunch of bone, and was found stuck in the diaphragm, badly distorted. This was at 2200 fps from a 358 Winchester hand-load. That 57" racked bull dropped right in front of a fast, deep chute of white water on the Kandik River, the head and one antler fell in the deep, fast water. The fast chute of water blasted into a nasty, splintered mess of a wood-pile, filled into a cut bank. Had the moose not dropped, recovery would've been risky.

If you go back to the medium bore, rather than be choosey about your typical lung shot with the smaller 20 calibers, break clear through the front quarter bones with the bigger, heavier bullets, resulting in no blood-shot meat. I'd imagine that you'd be setting at 2400-2500 fps with the 275 grainer. Should be a clean deal. Any medium bore cartridge firing bullets at 2200-2500 fps, it's a perfect combination of range, killing power, penetration and lack of blood-shot meat.

A good 30 caliber with a 220 grain breaks out bone well too, if you go to 9:24 of this video, an old customer of mine who bought one of my boats, appears to have broken out the front end of a very large bull. You can tell the bull wanted to move forward, but simply couldn't get his front end to work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz1vwTPYa2M&list=PL_fotv96Eswd88PSfDBssW551-CqtqNQ0

a 30-06 or 308 with a 220 grain partition will very cleanly break the entire front end out of a large bear or moose. I dunno, but Nosler sure did a good job designing that 30 caliber gem.

Sorry, but bigger, slower bullets have shown far more bloodshot meat than any other combo. Broken bones make the mess a lot worse.

Give me a light for caliber mono pushed fast through the high shoulder...

I have been loading the 210 TTSX for a couple 338s for many years (including prior iterations) and it has performed beautifully.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Pittu,

Sorry, but bigger, slower bullets have shown far more bloodshot meat than any other combo. Broken bones make the mess a lot worse.

I have been loading the 210 TTSX for a couple 338s for many years (including prior iterations) and it has performed beautifully.

If that’s true, post some pics of these so-called awesome bullets.
wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pittu,

If that’s true, post some pics of these so-called awesome bullets.
wink

Actually can post a few he has recovered... most are shy...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
😳

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

meh.... .512 450gr at 1300fps from my 500 Linebaugh pistol. I could eat right up to the hole on this bull. Could have eaten the hole too except it was full of hair. Same results on Sitka Blacktail with 355gr .452 at 1200fps from my 45 Colt. The deer shot wilh 338, 7mm, 375 were bloodshot all to hades. My 3 bucks had nice clean holes you eat right up to. With 15 skinned deer hanging side by side it was obvious which ones were hit with high velocity projectiles and which were hit with slow and heavy hunks of lead.

A big, heavy slow boolit punches a nice clean hole. It's possible your mono-solids aren't mushrooming so your just punching a caliber sized hole. Broken bones are a good thing.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Snyd

meh.... .512 450gr at 1300fps from my 500 Linebaugh pistol. I could eat right up to the hole on this bull. Could have eaten the hole too except it was full of hair. Same results on Sitka Blacktail with 355gr .452 at 1200fps from my 45 Colt. The deer shot wilh 338, 7mm, 375 were bloodshot all to hades. My 3 bucks had nice clean holes you eat right up to. With 15 skinned deer hanging side by side it was obvious which ones were hit with high velocity projectiles and which were hit with slow and heavy hunks of lead.

A big, heavy slow boolit punches a nice clean hole. It's possible your mono-solids aren't mushrooming so your just punching a caliber sized hole. Broken bones are a good thing.

[Linked Image]

Disabusing you of your fantasies is not my issue.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Snyd

[Linked Image]

Disabusing you of your fantasies is not my issue.

Sorry to have bothered you your excellency, my mistake. I see you have over 36000 posts here so I will defer to your online armchair expertise.

A
A
The 338-06 with 225gr would be perfect almost the 338 Win Mag.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

312 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 40 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,035
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.