Hop To
Page 23 of 24 1 2 21 22 23 24
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I, too, have had some concern over being able to load ammo that shoots better than off the shelf factory stuff. I did achieve that, but it took some effort and with only select loads, not across the board.

DF

I got some contract overrun "police/sniper" 308's from Norma loaded with 168 Match Kings. It was hard to equal, let alone beat.

Black Hills .308 match ammo. used to be like that. Haven't bought any in a while.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rick,

A PH friend who owns a big sporting goods store in Kimberley, RSA tells me basically the same thing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
But don't forget, it's still just a fad!

(sarcasm intended)

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Yondering

(sarcasm intended)

Yep.

Sorta like smokeless powder....

That, too, was said to be a passing fad...

DF

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RinB
I was hunting near Lephalale in RSA earlier this year. In town there is the most well stocked rifle shop I have seen anywhere. The owner showed me around and took me into his vault in which was stored rifles waiting to be delivered to new owners. He said that rifles chambered for 6.5 CM accounted for over 80% of his sales of new rifles.

A Creed done as a classic stalking rifle would really float my boat. Maybe I could get a FAUX Ruger done this way by J Renner. http://www.rjrenner.com/pre-war-77.html

It would be good for all the small to medium Boky's on a plains or ranch hunt.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I bet there’s an old shoebox somewhere from the 1920’s..... full of hand-written letters between old WWI buddies..... bitching about that “new-fangled .270 Winchester” fad. “It’ll never catch on”.... “how’s it better than my Krag”..... etc....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I bet there’s an old shoebox somewhere from the 1920’s..... full of hand-written letters between old WWI buddies..... bitching about that “new-fangled .270 Winchester” fad. “It’ll never catch on”.... “how’s it better than my Krag”..... etc....

Interesting premise.

Don't ya know those conversations occurred. People don't like change, tend to cling to what they're comfortable with. Not much different today.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The .30-30 (excuse me, the .30 W.C.F.) upset a LOT of hunters in the 1890's. And then when some were just getting used to the .30-30, Winchester brought out that damned .270, which no real hunter needed because the .30-30 was plenty.

Of course, the radical 6.5x55 had already been around for over 30 years when the .270 appeared--but in 1925 even the Swedsih and Norwegian armies hadn't gotten around to loading 139-grain spitzers in it. sticking to the tried-and-true 156 roundnose.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The 6.5 CM is just part of the ongoing evolution. It's the latest cool thing which will be replaced at some point by another cool thing.

The lesson is that the gun manufacturers, ammunition makers and engineers have to work together to produce better shooting system - the cartridge and rifle. History has seen its share of good ideas that failed because of poor execution.

Now, let's clog. And remember, everyone has to work together to make things work.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Steve, they're good.

Are they Canucks from your neck of the woods?

DF

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't know where they are from, but you're right, they are good.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
"Tap This" is the name of the Lincoln, Neb group.

Checked it out on line.

DF

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Yondering

(sarcasm intended)

Yep.

DF

It should have been...

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

DF

It should have been...

I just threw up a little....... sick sick sick sick

I have 2 mzl s which are mine and 2 which were my Dad's. STAY in the closet.......no clean..... no stink.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
This thread is a very interesting read.

I think there are different reasons why a person winds up with one-or-another version of the 6.5mm cartridges.

In the last year, one of my buddies who only owned a 30-30 wanted to add a bolt-action rifle to his safe, and asked my opinion on which to buy.
I had him get a 6.5 creed, because I knew he didn't reload, and I wanted to have him save some bucks on getting a very accurate rifle that would have a good supply of decent off-the-shelf ammo in his vicinity.
He spent less that 300 bucks and has a great shooter... he is delighted.

I personally like the history behind the 6.5x55 swede, and that's what I chose to shoot... I reload, and knew that I could dial in a decent load with a modern action and good barrel.
Mission accomplished, am shooting sub MOA and like the fact that the round has been here since the 1890's....

So, different strokes for different folks.
It's all good.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
how many grains of 26 are you using, for my reference. I just bought some 26 to try in my swede

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by schow
how many grains of 26 are you using, for my reference. I just bought some 26 to try in my swede

51.5 gr. with the 129-130s for just around 2,950 fps.. Many are loading more but I found R26 to be spikey pressure wise over 90F degrees which I sometimes encounter hunting. Mule Deer said just about anything will show more pressure in hot weather some just less. Check the Berger and Speer data as it will keep you from redlining with R26 which doesn't show traditional pressure signs until you are way up there, doubly so in modern cases and especially in the AI's. I consider the Swede a modern case design.

Also put some heat on the load Winchesters or Federal 215Ms. Seems to act like a ball powder even in moderate sized cases. The Magnum primer reduced ES & SD for whatever that is worth.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
This thread is a very interesting read.

I think there are different reasons why a person winds up with one-or-another version of the 6.5mm cartridges.

In the last year, one of my buddies who only owned a 30-30 wanted to add a bolt-action rifle to his safe, and asked my opinion on which to buy.
I had him get a 6.5 creed, because I knew he didn't reload, and I wanted to have him save some bucks on getting a very accurate rifle that would have a good supply of decent off-the-shelf ammo in his vicinity.
He spent less that 300 bucks and has a great shooter... he is delighted.

I personally like the history behind the 6.5x55 swede, and that's what I chose to shoot... I reload, and knew that I could dial in a decent load with a modern action and good barrel.
Mission accomplished, am shooting sub MOA and like the fact that the round has been here since the 1890's....

So, different strokes for different folks.
It's all good.

I ended up buying 2 6.5's in the span of a month. The first one is an old Carl Gustav m96. However I can't run super hot loads in it, because it's an old Military rifle. Primarily the only reason the 6.5 creed outruns the Swede. This is how it does with iron sights, after I put a taller front sight blade on it:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
100 yard targets

Then I was wanting another 6.5, so I chose the Creed. Still working on breaking the barrel in and load development, but this is how it's shooting:
[Linked Image]

I think you advised your friend well. For me, I like each 6.5 equally. They serve 2 different purposes and work equally well...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is simply nothing as plug and play in a 2.815 mag box.

The 6.5 CM has factory ammo available in Walmart that is suitable for bull elk beyond 500yds.

Federal Gold Medal Berger with the 130gr Hybrid. It's hot for a self loader.

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
There is simply nothing as plug and play in a 2.815 mag box.

The 6.5 CM has factory ammo available in Walmart that is suitable for bull elk beyond 500yds.

Federal Gold Medal Berger with the 130gr Hybrid. It's hot for a self loader.

[Linked Image]

I was wondering about those loads for game and our Walmart is stocked with it.

Page 23 of 24 1 2 21 22 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

394 members (260Remguy, 30Gibbs, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 280ACKIMP, 257_X_50, 46 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,754
Posts18,476,318
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.