Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Lansend
Originally Posted by Sandbagger
I would love to do 243 or 257 Robert's or 308. But are these even feasible if so what should I look for?

Yes, feasible.

Comparing your photos with my Model 70 short action made in Bridgeport not long before Winchester shut down the factory there, the inletting looks like it should fit. 7" spacing, the semicircle for the third bottom metal screw behind the magazine, and inletting in the trigger area (curved on right, flat on left) are all the same. I don't know whether they came from the factory in your preferred chamberings (mine started as a 308 Win) but should be compatible once rebarrelled by a competent gunsmith. You might also look at the Montana Rifle Co Model 1999 short action.

While possible, the blank was probably shaped and inletted prior to the release of the model 70 SA.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 10/31/18. Reason: Frigging autocorrect!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

True, and as pointed out above the tang is wrong for a Winchester. For free, the poster could check some of the dimensions of his semi inlets against those at the Montana site.

http://montanarifleco.com/index.php/short-actions/

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Based on the rollover it is a twin to a Herter semi-finished that I had years ago,

Mine was marked on the but what action it would fit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ipopum
Based on the rollover it is a twin to a Herter semi-finished that I had years ago,

Mine was marked on the but what action it would fit.

At one point in the very dark past everyone had patterns like that!
wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not for a Mauser. Mauser’s have their front guard screw coming up into the recoil lug mortise.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
It does have S B 3 penciled on the butt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mauser98
Not for a Mauser. Mauser’s have their front guard screw coming up into the recoil lug mortise.

Yes, I missed the obvious...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't forget years ago you could buy sako actions to build on...the tang resembles sako l61 r...if so I have a couple actions squirreled away if you need measurements...this was in the 60 s and that rollover maple was the rage...

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Rainier
Tell me more?
I'm not opposed to the finnbear

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Don't forget years ago you could buy sako actions to build on...the tang resembles sako l61 r...if so I have a couple actions squirreled away if you need measurements...this was in the 60 s and that rollover maple was the rage...

I think you are onto something there. The recoil lug floats on them with the action screw holding the works together.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To All,

I would hate to see that PURTY birdseye stock NOT be fitted/finished with a great barreled action.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
S B 3. has to be a good clue. Anyone??

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A III, standard barrel, maybe?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It was shaped by Peterson stocks many years ago. That rollover is a Peterson and it was designed by Monte Kennedy. Jerry Fisher also designed some stocks for him. They were great semi's but not so much now.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco

I think you are onto something there. The recoil lug floats on them with the action screw holding the works together.

I believe you are referring to the next generation of sako with the recoil lug not being part of the action...I have one in a a medium length action...vastly different than an l61 or AV...both having recoil lugs machined as part of the action...the one with the removable lug 591 I think also had flat sides as opposed to round similar to a Tika....not an expert on sakoI just have several of them...I know the AV and l61 are almost identical in apeance but stocks are not interchangeable...rear tang length is different...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would lean towards a Sako but it looks like it could be adapted to a short model 70. The Monte Carlo could go away or be reduced but it would be a good foundation for a Retro rifle as is. I would use Thomas Shellhamer's suigi finis or Aqua Fortis for a darker color. Potassium DiChromate would make the birds eyes pop and practically jump off the stock. I have seen some with so much chatoyance (depth & movement) that I wondered if it would spook the deer.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S

Thanks for the reply's
I found a guy that's suppose to be a gunsmith but he wasn't sure we put a model 70 SA next to it and with a little modifications it will probably work. It just stinks spending several hundred dollars on an action that may not work. But I have to start somewhere. I am going to finish this stock one way or another.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

739 members (10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,843
Posts18,478,259
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.