Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Love that country, killed alotta bucks up there over the years

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I know.....there's a lot of history in those trestles
Hell there's a lot of history in the whole area....that's why I need to get off of my dead ass and spend a day or two following those tracks but the Ground Squirrels, Coyotes, and Pheasants keep distracting me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I know.....there's a lot of history in those trestles
Hell there's a lot of history in the whole area....that's why I need to get off of my dead ass and spend a day or two following those tracks but the Ground Squirrels, Coyotes, and Pheasants keep distracting me.

If you get a chance, and if the road is still driveable, take a jaunt up to Buffalo Hump. Even 20 years ago, there was nothing much left to see, but at one time during the gold rush up there, it was one of the biggest towns in Idaho.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I didn't want to hi-jack Wabbie's farm report thread but I thought Sam, Jim, Wabbie, and the other poor mouth ( smile ) farmers might like to see how they do it around here.
I know it's not like the endless flat fields others farm but the land is so fertile and the crop yields are so high the farmers don't seem to mind.
It's also a lot prettier than a mid western corn field. wink

[Linked Image]

How far north of Grangeville?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Judman
Love that country, killed alotta bucks up there over the years
Idaho tends to be underrated for whitetails. Everyone seems to think it's all mulie country but I've seen some real dandies in the north half of the state.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That is some crazy country to be farming!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My first cross-country motorcycle ride was 32 years ago; 2,100 miles from College Station TX to Moscow ID in 2 1/2 days in August, on an unfaired 550cc Yamaha no less. Didn't know about earplugs back then, when I finally lay my head in Moscow that night I could still hear the motor running grin Phenomenal ride.

First day across Texas and up onto the Panhandle; slept out on the ground outside of Clayton, NM.

Second day; Raton Pass over the top of Monarch Pass and down to the Great Basin. The climb to Monarch Pass reeked of anti-freeze on account of all the vehicles nearly overheating and my wrist got sore from cranking the throttle and clutch so much while passing them. Utah down around Green River looked like a moonscape compared to where I'd been. The crowd at a McDonald's in Provo looked like an episode of the Stepford Wives. Finally I was so tired running through Salt Lake that night I was seeing double. Seen trucks off the highway, thought it was a truck stop, it wasn't, it was a big motel parking lot. Drove to the very back, lay down on a sidewalk next to the motorcycle, threw a groundsheet over me with my feet sticking out and fell asleep instantly.

Got woken up three hours later by someone kicking my right boot. It was the Cops, someone had reported me as a dead body. Left Salt Lake 4am, saw a tremendous meteor burn up overhead near Snowville. Then hung a left towards Boise, north of Boise the McCall country was so winding I figured motorcyclists there wear the outside of their tires out first before the middle. Long afternoon rolling north through Idaho.....

...and why this is relevant here.....

I was blown away by the golden wheat fields in the rolling Nez Perce country, it was like the friggin' Promised Land cool

After that the long, long hill climbing out of Lewiston going north, I do believe that was the longest, steepest hill I have ever encountered, even my motorcycle was struggling.

The cause of that epic ride of course was a woman, it was worth it. A week later I had to get back to Grad School. Left Moscow at noontime on Saturday after changing the oil, this time I stopped in on the way back to see good friends in Capitan NM. Slept a couple of hours Saturday night in a motel somewhere in Southern Idaho, by Sunday morning i was rolling through Salt Lake traffic, seen the golden-roofed temple from Interstate, down past Arches and Coronado (??) that afternoon, past Durango, Silverton (??) and Taos, lost daylight at Espaniola NM, rolled into Capitan late Sunday night after a few hours playing mule deer roulette along the highway.

Monday night back in College Station it was time to change the oil again, 2,500 miles later.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
When I was in college in Moscow, maybe 75 miles north of there, back in the 60's, most of the tractors you'd see were Cats. They've been modernized considerably since then.

I remember the same thing back when I was growing up in Pullman in the 70's.
My Dad remembers when they used horses...

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"...After that the long, long hill climbing out of Lewiston going north, I do believe that was the longest, steepest hill I have ever encountered, even my motorcycle was struggling..."

I used to run that grade on a KZ440 in the early 80's , I am sure you know we were both running the new Lewiston grade, there is an even older worse one that had been blocked off for a very long time. I used to note the substantial temperature change from bottom to top in the winter. In summer it was reversed but not as noticable.

[edit: you were definitely on the "old grade", my trips were on the "new grade" although I did drive the old grade occasionally. wageslave's correction a few posts down put my memory-fault in evidence.}

Last edited by kid0917; 11/04/18. Reason: correction thanks to wageslave
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kid0917
"...After that the long, long hill climbing out of Lewiston going north, I do believe that was the longest, steepest hill I have ever encountered, even my motorcycle was struggling..."

I used to run that grade on a KZ440 in the early 80's , I am sure you know we were both running the new Lewiston grade, there is an even older worse one that had been blocked off for a very long time. I used to note the substantial temperature change from bottom to top in the winter. In summer it was reversed but not as noticable.

For clarification,
6 miles long
7% @ its steepest.

The old road has not been blocked........ever.

[Linked Image]

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Until the early 70's, there were 3 infamous hills between Boise and Moscow, Horseshoe Bend, Whitebird, and Lewiston. Whitebird was the worst with something like 21 switchbacks where you'd slow down to about 25 mph. Through the 70's, they rebuilt all 3 which cut over an hour off the 300 mile trip north. I think Lewiston was the steepest. Now you can go over all 3 at 70 if you have the power to do it...and a good enough radiator to keep the engine cool.
Lawyers Canyon, in the middle of the Camas Prairie, was pretty bad, too, but not from being so steep. It was narrow, winding, and often fogged in during the winter. There was always the danger of hitting deer there, too. Now there's a bridge over the canyon and the entire highway is up on top. MUCH faster. Is that the same canyon in the OP photo? Looks like it.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once in a while I go up the old Whitebird Grade......

just to relive old times.

[Linked Image]

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wageslave
[Linked Image]

It's hard to believe that erosion isn't an issue but the ground obviously can handle it. That wouldn't work here!

Is most of the spraying done by plane? I bet it would be a real treat to run a ground sprayer over those hills. They must have uber baffles in the tanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of them self propelled, auto steered sprayers now.
Planes do a lot of work, too.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the correction, memory failed..
Birdwatcher must have been on the old grade after all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Erosion is an issue.....
What makes all them deep draws??? smile

They have come along way in that regard, though.

And, as has been stated, continuous cropping helps with that.
If there is fallow now, most is "chemfallow".

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson

It's hard to believe that erosion isn't an issue but the ground obviously can handle it. That wouldn't work here!

Sam, I have experienced Hi-Line soil......wet and dry......
That stuff would definitely NOT work here.

Have Dog

Will Travel

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
This is an interesting thread. cool

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wageslave
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Sam, I have experienced Hi-Line soil......wet and dry......
That stuff would definitely NOT work here.
A little farther north, in the Palouse, erosion has been a major problem for many years. I'm not up there much any more to see the latest. Maybe they've figured out ways to slow it down.

― George Orwell

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,691
Posts18,534,529
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.