-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No idea what Lonesome Dove is about but the moose whisperer never made it to bear whisperer...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Lonesome dove was the outfitter in the bear video I thought it said. Dennis zadra down outa Cordova owns that outfit.
I wasn’t aware AOD had a bear whisperer. Does 24hr have one too?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by powderburner
Lonesome dove was the outfitter in the bear video I thought it said. Dennis zadra down outa Cordova owns that outfit.
I wasn’t aware AOD had a bear whisperer. Does 24hr have one too?

AOD's Moose Whisperer is the only known Whisperer. All of the known Bear Whisperers seem to turn into bear Schiff at some point.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Maybe they should yell instead of whisper?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by powderburner
Maybe they should yell instead of whisper?

They do.
Also, they refuse to allow never having seen one to temper their advice.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Many hunts under my belt. No kills. Kodiak brown bear hunting is an adrenaline rush the likes of which has not been equaled in my life.

Played back-up for a good buddy with a longbow. He stood on glare ice in his stocking feet for 45 minutes with a bear as close as 27 yards. He had set his shooting limit at 23 yards. For a significant part of the time he was at some level of draw. Bear finally walked away. That felt a bit more hairy than most Kodiak hunts I have done.

That's a pucker.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by 44mc
that was something they got BIG balls

Not really. Plenty of fire power.... the advantage was all theirs. I felt sorry for the bear.

That hide alone is gonna be a 200 lb pack out, if it is as wet as it looks. Years ago, I helped skin and carry the hide of a 9'2" chocolate bear (about same color as this one) 6 miles out of the mountains - second oldest bear ever recorded in Alaska, at the time anyway. 31 years old - rotted, missing, and loose teeth. Charged my bud and his wife from about 70 yards on Memorial Day weekend, a few days after season ended when they were hunting black bear. Old bugger still had 3 inches of fat on him too. 4 rounds (all of them burned!) in the Mod 70, .30-06, spare rounds in his wife's pack, but it ended well..... smile.

Warm day, and he had been laying up on an unmelted as yet snow patch under a dense patch of Hemlock in an alpine bowl. They had stopped a half-hour for lunch, and when they started out again, he came out (running downhill), and turned toward them on exiting, jaws popping. Any other direction, the bear would have been under cover for a considerable distance, so there was no mistaking intent.

He died in 10 inches of seasonal snow-pack runoff, about 30 yards out. 4 hours later, still dripping water, the hide alone weighed just over 180 lbs on my bathroom scale. The 3 of us involved in required salvage changed off frequently on the pack out. My bud was able to buy the hide back at auction for a not insignificant amount.

Good video!

I should have a talk with the bear(s) that keep bringing rotting salmon up from the river and leaving them just outside the yard for my dog to snack on.....

I had to open the bay door this rainy day, as the dog had gone out for lunch. She hadn't rolled in it, that was just because of her breath! Oops- I have to download the pic yet. Will edit and post later.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
On the recommendation of two fire members I hunted with Dennis and Lonsome Dove twice. Nothing fancy, but he and his crew are top shelf and produce way more often than not.

http://idohuntak.com

Last edited by battue; 11/08/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Great video (sans music).

Makes me want to take TWO .44s as back up AND a guide with a .45-70!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Cannot imagine why anyone would want to pack less effective firearms... as if they would drop their rifle to shoot the bear with a handgun.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

very good video, I do wish laughing ,high 5`in and slap`n hands was not part in any video`s anymore ,it looks bad to the public or makes us look like just killers with no respect for the animal.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pete53

very good video, I do wish laughing ,high 5`in and slap`n hands was not part in any video`s anymore ,it looks bad to the public or makes us look like just killers with no respect for the animal.

Copy THAT.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Cannot imagine why anyone would want to pack less effective firearms... as if they would drop their rifle to shoot the bear with a handgun.

Can't say that I could have done any better, but Shooter 1 was emptying his rifle and a dangerous bear was still not dead. Appeared the experienced guide dispatched the bear with a shot to the spine. If the bear had been charging a hunter with an "empty" rifle...outcome could have been problematic.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Can't say that I could have done any better, but Shooter 1 was emptying his rifle and a dangerous bear was still not dead. Appeared the experienced guide dispatched the bear with a shot to the spine. If the bear had been charging a hunter with an "empty" rifle...outcome could have been problematic.

Still does not address the "need" for a rifle and two 44s...

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
If the problem has reached the point of a second .44 you best start being lucky rather than good.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Still does not address the "need" for a rifle and two 44s...

You like to argue or are you just a humorless Liberal??

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just answer the question.

Perhaps that was simply hyperbole.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.