Are you talking wind, or water erosion?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wageslave
Originally Posted by kid0917
"...After that the long, long hill climbing out of Lewiston going north, I do believe that was the longest, steepest hill I have ever encountered, even my motorcycle was struggling..."

I used to run that grade on a KZ440 in the early 80's , I am sure you know we were both running the new Lewiston grade, there is an even older worse one that had been blocked off for a very long time. I used to note the substantial temperature change from bottom to top in the winter. In summer it was reversed but not as noticable.

For clarification,
6 miles long
7% @ its steepest.

The old road has not been blocked........ever.

[Linked Image]
In that photo, the smoking factory on the left is a paper mill. At one time, before the EPA make them clean it up, you wouldn't see that valley much of the time. It would be entirely smoked in and this photo wouldn't have been possible. You'd come off the top of the hill and drop into a cloud of smoke. You could smell it for 50 miles or more. Your eyes would burn if you had to spend much time there. Cleaning that up was one good thing the EPA has accomplished.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems like I remember some of the hills in The Palouse in Washington having horizontal strips of crop, then fallow, then crop, etc. At least I thought that's what they were doing. Maybe wheat, peas, wheat..?

Last edited by Steve; 11/04/18.

Carpe' Scrotum
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Steve
Seems like I remember some of the hills in The Palouse in Washington having horizontal strips of crop, then fallow, then crop, etc.

Old days. That was done in the late 60s, 70s, 80s. Then we figured out how to burn and go to 3 year rotations. Now the majority is fence to fence.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I know.....there's a lot of history in those trestles
Hell there's a lot of history in the whole area....that's why I need to get off of my dead ass and spend a day or two following those tracks but the Ground Squirrels, Coyotes, and Pheasants keep distracting me.

If you get a chance, and if the road is still driveable, take a jaunt up to Buffalo Hump. Even 20 years ago, there was nothing much left to see, but at one time during the gold rush up there, it was one of the biggest towns in Idaho.

The road to Buffalo hump is still passable, but you have to have a lot of patience and a very good off road vehicle or a UTV. That road is solid granite rock about the size of basketballs and granite shelves you have to traverse. When you get to the top there are about 4 cabins up there that have been built around the lake. You can go by there and take the road out to the end and have a great view out to the south. There are still some working mines up there. You can camp in Orogrande or travel into elk city and stay there.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, those "stair steps" are brutal.
Wonder if they had to helicopter in those building materials at Hump Lake?

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
"...After that the long, long hill climbing out of Lewiston going north, I do believe that was the longest, steepest hill I have ever encountered, even my motorcycle was struggling..."

I used to run that grade on a KZ440 in the early 80's , I am sure you know we were both running the new Lewiston grade, there is an even older worse one that had been blocked off for a very long time. I used to note the substantial temperature change from bottom to top in the winter. In summer it was reversed but not as noticable.

For clarification,
6 miles long
7% @ its steepest.

[Linked Image]
In that photo, the smoking factory on the left is a paper mill. At one time, before the EPA make them clean it up, you wouldn't see that valley much of the time. It would be entirely smoked in and this photo wouldn't have been possible. You'd come off the top of the hill and drop into a cloud of smoke. You could smell it for 50 miles or more. Your eyes would burn if you had to spend much time there. Cleaning that up was one good thing the EPA has accomplished.

Ahh the old armpit of Idaho. Bought my first pistol in Lewiston...

Spent a few years in Moscow, with friends in Lewiston. Very special place. Almost died outside Pullman on the way to Spokane. Driver hit a patch of ice, we plunged off the road. Wheat harvest time on the Palouse was pretty amazing sight

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sam, I have experienced Hi-Line soil......wet and dry......
That stuff would definitely NOT work here.

What's with all the farm talk PRIEST? grin

[Linked Image]

Comrades, some wheat harvest in Siberia.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love that country.

Was out by there yesterday getting after birds. Beautiful day to be out there!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the correction, memory failed..
Birdwatcher must have been on the old grade after all.

After 30+ years really all I remember is a series of images, the Whitebird grade must’ve been the one that I rode in the morning where I got the impression of wearing out the sides of my tires before the center tread, On that grade the sharpness of the turns was the limiting factor as to how fast I could go. On the Lewiston grade I had it pegged flat out, I was probably trying to do about 80 and it wouldn’t .

I was on an early 80s Yamaha Vision, a short-lived water-cooled 550 v-twin that was Yamaha’s answer to the Honda Silverwing 650, another great bIke that never sold very well. It was designed for riding rather than image and actually handled quite well. I was one of those guys who actually bought a motorcycle to save money (ha ha) back then,

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

For clarification,
6 miles long
7% @ its steepest.

[Linked Image]

Ahh the old armpit of Idaho. Bought my first pistol in Lewiston...

Spent a few years in Moscow, with friends in Lewiston. Very special place. Almost died outside Pullman on the way to Spokane. Driver hit a patch of ice, we plunged off the road. Wheat harvest time on the Palouse was pretty amazing sight

It's still smelly at times......I don't think anybody will ever get all of the stink out of a pulp mill.

I live 25 miles up river so it doesn't bother me. wink

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yeah, those "stair steps" are brutal.
Wonder if they had to helicopter in those building materials at Hump Lake?

They get vehicles up there..A couple years ago my son and I were riding up there and stopped for lunch just shy of the top..Heard an engine sound coming from above us,I said no way..lol..Then here came a fancy 4X4 van down the hill with a guy and his wife..One of those expensive 4X4 camper van that bends and tweaks..Dang..I have also seen trucks at the other cabins up there...I wouldn't do it but they do...That last shelf is getting brutal..The wife gets out every time with the Rhino..

They ruined it with that cabin on the rock...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here are several pics of Buffalo Hump that I stole off the web.

first you have to get there
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson

It's hard to believe that erosion isn't an issue but the ground obviously can handle it. That wouldn't work here!

Sam, I have experienced Hi-Line soil......wet and dry......
That stuff would definitely NOT work here.

Wages, one decent thunderstorm and it would be an epic washout in the making......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logcutter

Agreed, Ron.

[Linked Image]

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sawbuck

What's with all the farm talk PRIEST? grin

I'm a shepherd........

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by logcutter

Agreed, Ron.

Happens all the time, people wanna build their dream home ON TOP of something, they don’t GAS of what it looks like from below.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Not sure the year, but there is some old time fallow, in this Palouse picture.

Have Dog

Will Travel

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Wowee.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Happens all the time, people wanna build their dream home ON TOP of something, they don’t GAS of what it looks like from below.

He should have just bought an old fire lookout......

Would have "fit in", then.

This is waaayyy out amongst high mtn. lakes...

Have Dog

Will Travel

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 71 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,194
Posts18,503,541
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.