Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've always liked the 45 Colt cartridge because it's so flexible - load it down or load it heavy. Lately I've been hankering for a SA version (for lighter-duty rounds - not the heavy stuff) and have been considering (primarily but not exclusively) either a Colt SAA or a Freedom Arms 97. I like barrels in the 4 - 5" range just because. I've never owned either a SAA or a model 97 (have owned several 83's). Between these two what are the considerations and factors in favor of each? Are there other SA 45's I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any input.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I want a Colt New Frontier BAD!!! The New Frontier is virtually the same as the SAA, but has adjustable sights. The Freedom Arms is an amazing work of art as well, but if I was going that route, I'd opt for a 454 Casull or something much more powerful to match the brawn of the FA revolvers. The 45 Colt, just seems, well, at home in a Colt.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My first favorite handgun was a Colt SAA but my was .38-40, not .45 colt. The only negative for me was I'm a handloader and tinkerer, I like to shoot lots of different loads, try this and that, and for that, adjustable sights are far superior because bullets of different shape and different weight, never mind changes in velocity, shoot to different points of aim. Also, at least on my Colt, the top of the front sight was rounded rather than squared off making repeatable holds a bit more difficult. The FA 97 is available with fixed or adjustable sights. For me, adjustable sights win hands down every time. It's a very strong gun and among the finest crafted handguns available. No "lose" with a FA.

However ...

My first choice in a lighter duty SA .45 would be a Ruger flattop stainless, a Lipsey's distributor exclusive.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned three Model 97's - they are a fantastic gun. I still own a model 83 in 44 Mag. My only caution is to shoot one before you commit to buying, if possible. The grip size on the 97 doesn't have enough room, for me anyway, and they consistently beat the knuckle on my middle finger. To the point that I sold them all. I second the choice of the new vaquero frame size from Ruger. I had one of those in 44 special and the grip fits my knuckles just fine.

i do not have exceptionally large hands.

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've never held a 97 but a grip that's too small would not appeal. Honestly that's one of the things that (based on second and third-hand info) has caused me to shy away from Colts in the past. I don't have overly large hands either but want a grip that fits.

Thanks for the input so far.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are not in a hurry, consider a Ruger.
Then get a good smith to do what Ruger wont.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Keith bullets.

Be aware that if you use some of these designs, along with some smaller custom production cast bullets, they may require deeper seating past crimp cannelures in the SAA and clones. I believe the 97 FA also has a shorter cylinder as well.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
How does the flattop grip compare with the Bisley grip offered by Ruger? I see a Bisley 45 with case colored frame from Lipsey's (which I really like) with the only downside being that it's barrel is 5.5" instead of around 4.5". I could live with the longer barrel depending on the grip. I had a Bisley 480 from Ruger and did not like the combination of the round and the grip. Perhaps in a lesser/lighter round the Bisley would be good? My middle finger got pulverized shooting the 480 Bisley to the point it was downright unpleasant.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Some of the comments seemed to respond regarding 44 magnums, or 44 Specials, when the question was about 45 Colts. Since you don't seem interested in the heavier loads, these are the models I'd consider.
The New Vaquero is a great gun and handles 45 Colts very well.

The Ruger Flat Top and it's available in 45 Colt and also in the convertible if you think you might like to shoot 45 ACP's.

Another gun that is very popular is the Flat Top in the Bisley version and it's also available both ways. I personally think the variety of 45 Colt ammo on the market is excellent.

I like the Original Vaquero in 45 Colt and have a few. I also like to add a SBH hammer to them. Makes it handy.

The standard Ruger Blackhawk, is a very nice gun as well and is also available as a convertible.

Sure there are other models like the Model 97 which to me has a small grip and it also has a short cylinder, if you want to shoot a heavier bullet. I've had a couple of those but was never happy with it for that reason.

Several companies make a SAA variance from Uberti to Beretta and more, but it's hard to find a stronger gun for the price that will last.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by John_Havard
I've always liked the 45 Colt cartridge because it's so flexible - load it down or load it heavy. Lately I've been hankering for a SA version (for lighter-duty rounds - not the heavy stuff) and have been considering (primarily but not exclusively) either a Colt SAA or a Freedom Arms 97. I like barrels in the 4 - 5" range just because. I've never owned either a SAA or a model 97 (have owned several 83's). Between these two what are the considerations and factors in favor of each? Are there other SA 45's I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any input.

This is an apples and oranges type question. The Freedom Arms is a more quality gun than the Colt with features that will make it much more shootable. The only thing I can think of that the Colt would have over the FA is nostalgia. There is nothing wrong with that because people buying a Colt SAA are doing so to experience the feel of the frontier and the FA will never come close in that department.

IMO where the Bisley grip frame shines is in the handling of heavy recoil. This should not be the case with the loads you describe. IIRC the Lipsey's edition is based on the New Vaquero, a gun which is not capable of handling heavy 45 Colt loads, so the Bisley grip is for those who just prefer it or like the looks. The Bisley Blackhawk is a whole different ballgame, capable of handling the heaviest 45 loads.

So get the Colt if you want a Cowboy gun or the Freedom Arms if you want the ultimate in shootability.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was set to order an Uberti Cattleman when I found a pristine New Vaquero for the same price.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know the strengths of the FA nor SAA and clones, but fwiw the .45 Colt Ruger Flattop on the medium frame is perfectly capable of loads to 23,000 psi, that is compared to the full size framed .45 Blackhawk which can take loads up to 30,000 psi.

Brian Pearce did an article in Handloader IIRC around 2012 on that. He figured that since the Ruger Flattop convertible is chambered for any .45 ACP ammo and +P (or maybe even +P+, I forget exactly) is loaded to around 23 kpsi, then that figure would be a good safe max for the .45 Colt. Even at that pressure you can get some impressive results with the old Colt round, especially when the original level was no slouch at all.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have had Rugers, Uberti's and Colt single actions (all three generations)
They all went bang when the trigger was pulled, and all hit the target I was shooting at.
But, there is only one real SAA and that's Colt, all the others are just copies.
Buy the one that will give you enjoyment of shooting, or buy a Colt, enjoy the shooting, it's history and the fact that it will keep or increase in value.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Vaquero is no copy. Drop safe and rides six up.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

So get the Colt if you want a Cowboy gun or the Freedom Arms if you want the ultimate in shootability.

And, for the former, don't overlook the Uberti replicas. The main differences between them and the Colts is the pony engraving and, consequently, the price.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 5thShock
The Vaquero is no copy. Drop safe and rides six up.

PS, so does the latest version of the Uberti Cattleman (the Cattleman II). They're six safe.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've got this Cattleman II that's a factory convertible from Uburti, i.e., it comes with two fitted, same serial numbered, cylinders, one .45 Colt and one .45 ACP.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by The_Real_Hawkeye; 11/10/18.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Ohh my my my, you sir are an evil man. I would never consider buying that out from another member, but it makes me sorely tempted.
The custom grips are worth at least a couple hundred. I wonder who did them.
This would be my choice for a mid level load 45 Colt.
Recoil will definitely be the deciding factor on how hot you run it.
Not as bad as a S&W M-329, but it's tougher than most people.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by John_Havard
How does the flattop grip compare with the Bisley grip offered by Ruger? I see a Bisley 45 with case colored frame from Lipsey's (which I really like) with the only downside being that it's barrel is 5.5" instead of around 4.5". I could live with the longer barrel depending on the grip. I had a Bisley 480 from Ruger and did not like the combination of the round and the grip. Perhaps in a lesser/lighter round the Bisley would be good? My middle finger got pulverized shooting the 480 Bisley to the point it was downright unpleasant.

I had a Bisley Blackhawk in 45 Colt that beat my knuckle mercilessly! And I wear an extra large glove!
I bought a standard Blackhawk (against all the nay-sayers advice) and liked it so much, I sent it to Bowen for upgrades, and tuning.
It may not go to the grave with me, but it'll likely be with me up until then.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,023 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,044
Posts18,482,116
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.